What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ReikoX and Juanita sitting in a tree

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

I got myself a Kill A Watt meter. I was curious how much this cab pulls.
Whole thing full tilt. All fans, seed mats etc.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Things aren't going too well. The clones are looking bad. They were getting too much light under the LED. I covered it with some brown paper and hope that helps. My T5HO went out on me in veg. It was working two days ago. So I moved everything in here until I figure it out. I bet it's either the ballast or the timer.

Nice growing reikox. Sorry to hear of ur issues.....the joys of growing, ey....

I'm personally battling some pesky spider mites. They are gonna get theirs this weekend.
*insert evil laugh*

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Nice growing reikox. Sorry to hear of ur issues.....the joys of growing, ey....

I'm personally battling some pesky spider mites. They are gonna get theirs this weekend.
*insert evil laugh*

Thanks for stopping by. Honestly I would rather have a broke light than mites. Now go give those pests some hell!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Turns out my ballast went on my T5HO I use for veg. I ordered a new one. Not sure how it went, it's less than a year old. Ordered the same one for the ease of replacing it.

Juanita got released from her bondage and the clones are doing well. They got fed:
10 ml/gal Bio Vega
8 ml/gal Rhizotonic

rykus

Hey bud! Just thought I'd mention I'd always hears plants move hormones to roots during dark cycle, in fact. An old book I actually liked called how to supercharge your. Garden recommended 16hrs light for rooting but I find 18 good.

Hope all is well and best of luck in your journeys!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Thanks for stopping by rykus. Thanks for the tip, I think I will keep using 18 hour days for future cloning runs.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Watered with pH 6.0 water. I'm going to transplant them to 6" squares in a few days. I'll veg them out for another week or so, then put them in the 5 gallon fabric pots and start dropping the daylight hours to 12/12.

Now that the ballast is fixed, I have a whole bunch of stuff in there. Two Juanitas, Super Lemon Haze, Deadhead OG, Pineapple Express, THC Bomb, and Jim's Skunk. Plus some Holy Grail 69 and Cheese Candy that I'm trying to revert back to veg. All of this makes me think I should do a perpetual SOG after this in here instead of my PC.

Trying some micro cloning. While buying some beer, I found these 1 oz party cups and made some micro hempy buckets. I put a hole about 1/4 inch from the bottom with an old soldering iron and filled them up with perlite. I then filled them with water and Superthrive until I got some runoff. I then poked a hole in the middle for the cutting. I took some cuttings, trimmed the fan leaves, dipped them in rooting powder, scraped the stems and put them in the perlite. Six cups fit perfectly in a little 12 site jiffy garden. They are on a seed mat on top of my T5HO. Above them are some LED strips. Let's see if this will work for me.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

The girls got watered again with pH 6.0 water. They also got tied down to start a little LST. I need to transplant them into bigger pots soon, then I'll turn on both LEDs.

firetech89

Everything is looking good bro. Looking forward to the CBD testing through out the grow.

In your bubble cloner with temps on your side how fast do the normally root? Do you do a mild nute feed in it.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Everything is looking good bro. Looking forward to the CBD testing through out the grow.

In your bubble cloner with temps on your side how fast do the normally root? Do you do a mild nute feed in it.

I've had no luck reproducing that CBD test at home. The original post is deleted. I may search the Web for the original source.

When temps were on my side, I would see roots in about 10 days or so. In the bubble cloner I do not use anything but tap water. In the micro hempy cloner I've been adding a bit of Superthrive.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

Transplanted the girls into 6" pots and turned on both lights. I'll let them vegetate for a week then put them into the final 5 gallon smart pots.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I've had no luck reproducing that CBD test at home. The original post is deleted. I may search the Web for the original.

I found this link that explains the original Beam test for CBD.

After reading this and doing my own research I figured out why I'm not getting any reaction. The kids who posted this keeps referring to lye like used to make soap. Lye is sodium hydroxide (NaOH). That's what I ordered. The test uses potassium hydroxide (KOH). According to my research CBD should be detected in vegetive growth as small as 3 inches tall.

The kids were trying to replicate the CBD Scientific test. This test, I believe uses ISO instead of Ethanol. Im pretty sure this is for tax reasons (ethanol is taxed as liquor). Another difference is that and instead of extracting with a non-polar solvent the test uses the activated charcoal to remove the color of the chlorophyll removed with the polar solvent.

I'm ordering some potassium hydroxide and will attempt these tests again. I also acquired two CBD samples that have been tested. They are Nordle and Cannatonic, now as long as I don't smoke them before my KOH gets here!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

The ladies have fully recovered from their transplant. They are starting to take off like... well like weeds. They each got around 32 oz of pH 6.0 water.

The mirco clones seem to be doing well. I keep watering the mini hempy buckets. I noticed the Juanita had roots at the surface, so I decided to put a few in my PC. Juanita, Pineapple Express, and a THC bomb. All had roots at about 10 days. I assume the other three have roots as well, but I have nowhere to put them for the moment.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn

I've got everything I need to test for CBD at home.

The supply list
  • Pure potassium hydroxide (KOH)
  • 95% ethanol alcohol (Everclear)
  • VM&P Naphtha
  • Activated carbon pellets
  • 1.5 ml snap top viles

You will also need:

• Scale
  • Measuring cups or syringes
  • Eye glasses
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Test tubes
  • Hot plate (coffee warmer)
  • Small evaporation dish

I'm going to try two different methods. First will be the traditional Beam test. Next will be a modified version similar to the field test kits for CBD.

Please read all labels and safety warnings. We are dealing with dangerous chemicals. Proper safety equipment should be used.

First step is to make a 5% KOH solution in ethanol. I added 1 gram of KOH to 19 ml of ethanol and stirred until well mixed. I didn't notice any heat build up, but I started with chilled ethanol. This is our reagent.

Next, for the Beam test we need to extract the CBD with a non-polar solvent. Add about 0.1 g of dry material to 1 ml of naphtha and let it sit for about 10 minutes. The naphtha was filtered and evaporated over the hot plate. 3-4 drops of reagent were added to the remaining residue and the reaction noted.

For the modified test, a small carbon pellet is added to the 1.5 ml snap top vile, then an equal size piece of dried material was added. This was filled to the top with our reagent, shaken for 60 seconds, then allowed to sit for 20 minutes.

First up is the 14.5% CBD Cannatonic. This left a very dark purple to brown color in the evaporation dish. The color of the snap top vile was similarly dark purple in color.

Next up is the 7.1% CBD Nordle. This one was a brighter violet color. The snap top vile was noticeably lighter in color even held up to the light.

Finally, I tested a quick dried piece of Juanita la Lagrimosa from my PC. The evaporation dish was a darker purple than the Nordle but not as brown as the Cannatonic. The snap top vile was barely lighter than the Cannatonic.

Overall the standard beam test is more involved, but gave more consistent results. The modified version worked great to detect CBD, but didn't have as much variation of color.

I plan to do a few more experiments with the modified version. I would like to try using 70% ISO instead of the 95% ethanol. I would also like to test some fan leaves from a Juanita clone in veg. Stay tuned for more results.