Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Can't Figure Out Plant Issues

Thread Title Search
Can't Figure Out Plant Issues Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 08:50 PM #1
Dr.FillDaBlunt

Dr.FillDaBlunt will become famous soon enough
Can't Figure Out Plant Issues

Hey everyone. I have been dealing with some plant issues recently and I just can't seem to figure out what's going on. The most recent SAP analysis showed I was low in Fe, Mn, Zn.

My vegetative room has (50) Jungle T5 48" lights.

I use organic living soil with a coco base.

CO2- 600ppm

400-500 PAR

Water Temp - 68*

Plant Temp - 79*-82*

Ambient Temp - 80*-82*

At first, I thought there was something wrong with my water. I had my water tested and sure enough, it had some bacteria colonizing in it. However, the testing facility was not able to tell me what specific bacteria it was. I cleaned all my res' and irrigation lines. Waited 1 week and tested the water again and came back clean. So I'm thinking I can start to rule out the water issue, but something in my gut says it can still be something in the water. I do have another water test submitted just to check once again.

I use CaMg every water

Current pH: 6.5 (sometimes it creeps higher to 6.8-6.9 halfway through watering and I have to readjust it.)

After about 4 weeks the plants start to exhibit signs of deficiency/stress. (shown in pics)

I amend my raised beds with BioLive.

I have grown all these strains for YEARS without any issues.

ISSUES:

-The new leaves start to get small

-Yellow/pale

-Eventual purpling

-Blistered look. (The margins in between the veins of the leaves start to literally look like they push out like a blister.)

The odd thing is once I transfer plants to my Bloom room they seem to heal and get better. In my head, they start to recover because they have an abundance of food and can start to eat.

My Bloom room has 90 DE Phantom lights. Grown in 60 gallon No-till Raised Beds.

CO2 - 900 PPM

750-900 PAR

Water Temp - 68*

Plant Temp - 79*-82*

Ambient Temp - 80*-82*

I haven't been feeding the plants anything extra besides what's in the soil. Could the plants be eating so much food it's draining my soil of nutrients within 4 weeks and I need to feed? Do I need to do anything "special" with my fertilizer program and/or pH when using LED's?

PICTURES: The plants in pots are in VEG and the plants in the beds are in BLOOM.

Upon request, I can give any additional info/pics.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201111_185844138.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	553243 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201111_185853867.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	553244 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201120_225405971.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	553245 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201122_171804608.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	553246 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201123_200321226.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	553247

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201123_205909488.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	553248 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201124_183755848.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	553249 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201124_183759484.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	553250
Dr.FillDaBlunt is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:54 PM #2
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivor
Looks like your pH is too high considering the amount of coco. Or the suspect water but my guess P def.
Lester Beans is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:00 PM #3
Teddybrae

Except for those two that are bluish and drooping the rest look like they have varying degrees of Mg shortage.
This can be discovered quickly by dissolving some Epsom Salts in a sprayer (one of those used for damping when ironing) and spraying on yr plants. Changes can be seen within hours. Then you might decide to 'cal - mag' yr soil.

So, have you tested soil pH? Not runoff ... test the soil itself. Cheap kits at the hardware.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:05 AM #4
Dr.FillDaBlunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Beans View Post
Looks like your pH is too high considering the amount of coco. Or the suspect water but my guess P def.
I am definitely correcting the pH issue. I'm going to start feeding at a lower pH as well 6.2 is my target.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:06 AM #5
Dr.FillDaBlunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybrae View Post
Except for those two that are bluish and drooping the rest look like they have varying degrees of Mg shortage.
This can be discovered quickly by dissolving some Epsom Salts in a sprayer (one of those used for damping when ironing) and spraying on yr plants. Changes can be seen within hours. Then you might decide to 'cal - mag' yr soil.

So, have you tested soil pH? Not runoff ... test the soil itself. Cheap kits at the hardware.
What do you think is the issue with the pale/blueish plants?
Soil pH I can test it tomorrow I have a Blue Lab pen. Last time I checked which was probably 2 weeks ago plants were ranging from 6.5- 6.7.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:31 AM #6
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivor
Foliar of epsom is a good immediate action, along with a properly ph'd solution of bloom food. Then get that ph in line going forward. They should bounce back for you.
Lester Beans is offline Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 06:27 AM #7
Teddybrae

the pale/bluish plants are suffering badly from wrong pH, I 'd say.
And I 'm wondering HOW you're checking yr pH? Just in the top of yr soil or further down? I think you need to check it at 4 inches/100 mm deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.FillDaBlunt View Post
What do you think is the issue with the pale/blueish plants?
Soil pH I can test it tomorrow I have a Blue Lab pen. Last time I checked which was probably 2 weeks ago plants were ranging from 6.5- 6.7.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:42 AM #8
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
I like using Greensand for iron. Molasses also has iron.

Galvanized nails in water can supply both zinc and iron when they rust.

Happy Holidays.

troutman is offline Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 09:57 AM #9
thailer

thailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant futurethailer has a brilliant future
Quote:
Current pH: 6.5 (sometimes it creeps higher to 6.8-6.9 halfway through watering and I have to readjust it.)
i think if your water's ph was truly adjusted it wouldn't creep up while you're watering. i would prefer to know what the pH is BEFORE you adjust. it sounds like your water is also highly alkaline which explains why something such as citric acid may take a little while of waiting to see if it creeps up as it isn't as strong as other ph down products.

when you irrigate with water that not just a high pH, but also alkaline, it has a lot of calcium carbonate or bicarbonates in it so with each watering, you add more lime to the soil. that is why you're noticing the 4-6 weeks rhythm of symptoms.

i would suggest getting a soil test to see what your soil's true pH is because pens and hardware store testers, i was told are not an accurate way to test the pH for organic soil. i have contaminants in my water which forces me to use RO water for my plants.

you may want to start over with fresh soil as it is difficult to leach lime or bicarbonates from soil and start using RO or adjusting the pH and waiting a bit longer till it doesn't creep up.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:15 AM #10
Creeperpark

Creeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of lightCreeperpark is a glorious beacon of light
Plants grown in coco coir need a pH level ranging from 5.5 to 6.3 during veg. (Max). If you drop in the upper 5s slowly your problems will go away. I run 5.5 - 5.8 during veg growth and 6.0 - 6.3 during bloom. High alkalinity can cause a lock out because the receptor sites are blocked. The organic nutrients are more soluble with a lower pH. Also bacteria colonizing can be minimized with an acidic pH.
Creeperpark is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.