What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Klutter's Cure Journal

G

I'm taking a seat here, I'll have to do this stuff in a month or so. Any knowledge on this will be helpful.

G

About 3 weeks into their cure people will log on and ask ,Why is the cure smelling grassy? I believe this to be normal smell at 3 weeks. the smell is from the chlorophyll breaking down.Cooler curing temps make the cure grey. Warmer and brown to gold. I will watch this post to see if your results are similar.BTW has anyone tried using micro organisms in cure?

G

Ok, although I really wanted to limit my additions to this thread to weekly (to decrease the volume so, if used in the future, would be easier to read)..... I just couldnt help this one.

So I just got done pulling a quick bud outta jars 1-4.... yes, 4 lovely little buds. Keep in mind Jar 1 was never burped and the others with their respective times. My obvious interest was in Jar 1, since it was not subjected to the 'daily maintenance' that the others were.

Jar 1 - Appearance is identical. Nice n sticky with resin, not soft but not like sawdust, a hay smell followed by what can only be described as sweet fuel (if you can even imagine that). SMOKE WAS IDENTICAL in aroma to the other jars. This is not what I expected.

Bottom line, for anyone really wondering what the reason for all this is: It's honestly, to test what most probably assume. That all the maintenance we go through with burping and paper bags and what-not... that it's actually worth it and 'enhancing' things.

Cant tell ya how many times in life I find myself doing things because I am 'following' someone elses lead. Most times it's warranted, and I certainly do not slight all of the threads I've read.... But the moment I did a search, and didn't find actual curing journals, I knew it was something that surely should be tested/documented.

My hope is that the jars do not come out the same and that the one with the highest maintenance record actually tastes better....but so far that is not the case for this grow, this strain and this toker.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Either way Klutter, thanks for doing this, you're right saying that nobody has done one, and this is definitely something that will be helpful for a lot of people. I'm very curious to see your results!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is the humidity of the area you are drying these buds in? I mean is your area in general humid at this time of year? very dry? varies?

G

I am surprised there is no difference. I cure the same but can tell a difference, when RH goes up and I actually prefer a cooler 60 degree F cure the buds turn grey and are very aromatic.Are you in a low RH area?

THC•20

HumanPheno said:
hey klutter... you write that potency increases after some time in the jar.. this is not correct!! The potency of marijuana cannot increase after the plant has been cut!!! But the aroma change.. and the aroma has a big influence on the high!!!

Peace

HumanPheno that is not true. I have bud that I've experienced my own damn self with a change in potency. The potency may not increase, but after a while spent in the right conditions during it's drying/curing period the full potential of the potency comes out after a certain point. I smoked my bud the minute it was dry enough to burn and from that point up until now I have noticed a great change in the potency as in how long it lasts, the effects it has on me and how intense the highs are.

Last edited:

Lemon

HumanPheno said:
The potency of marijuana cannot increase after the plant has been cut!!!

By David Oppenheimer

Article Word Count: 1623 [View Summary]

http://ezinearticles.com/?Weight-of-Marijuana-and-Criminal-and-Tax-Law&id=45810

Conclusive research has shown that wet (uncured) marijuana is not psychoactive. Before drying, decarboxylation of inactive THCA acid into delta9 THC has not yet occurred. During the curing (drying) process, the COOH bonded to the THCA is released. The result is marijuana’s psychoactive compound delta9 THC. The State of North Carolina’s laws do not distinguish between the uncured weight of marijuana from the cured (dry) weight, necessary for marijuana to be consumed or sold. No one purchases wet marijuana at a price comparable to suggested market value because approximately 80% of this weight consists of water, both in the plant tissue and chemically bonded by carbon to the THC molecule. No one smokes fresh, wet, uncured marijuana because it cannot produce a euphoric effect. Decarboxylation must occur by drying prior to it’s combustion that occurs with smoking (this does not occur when attempting to smoke uncured marijuana), drying must also occur before eating marijuana, if it is to produce a euphoric effect.

[more, see link]

Last edited:
G

Lemon - That was an incredible find. Truly goes to show that dryness is key when enhancing the bud.

Blynx - Temps were average 79-82, RH 50-65% on average. Pretty ideal for what I was looking for, which was a slow 'on the branch' dry vs. my usual 'snip off the buds, dry super fast and turn to dust' method... :)

I'm now at Day 19. And although I have been warned, I will be sticking with my original plan of leaving Jar 1 sealed throughout the process. I am now only opening Jar 4, and will continue until Day 21.

One thing that is very interesting is that the smell has changed quite a bit on Jar 4.... I can't speak for the others since I'm not opening them, but the change is very positive! When the jar is first opened, there is a mild hay smell, nothing overwhelming like before. Within about 2-3 deep inhales the hay smell is quickly replaced with a deep fruit, almost incense like smell. There is still a hint of fuel in it, but nothing like I noticed in previous jars.

I am going to do a 30 day report once we get there. At that time I'll open each jar, sample it and give the best conclusion I can. Mind you, this will only be a total of 30 curing days. I expect the ultimate flavor will come closer to the 60 day mark... but I am truly impressed already with what I'm seeing/smelling.

I can't wait for day 30 to bust open Jar 1... I'm tempted to project that it will smell like hay, possibly due to never burping.

Twisted Treez - I'm about to harvest a Chronic's Revenge... I am going to take you up on your suggestion and leave a bud-branch hanging... It was a good point and one I didnt think of, I didnt test skipping the entire jar process all together. However, I worry that the buds will simply turn to dust, which never makes good smoke IMO.

G

twisted treez said:
klutter please dont worry about that , the way this way became known is that a grower left a branch up and forgot about it found it 4 months later and it was way better than all that he had jared , it was totally better than anything ever , so the person did what they told you and believe me you will be happy this is bassed on multiple tries and every time the new bomb bud is blazed there is always a joke like" remmember when i thought it was about the jar ,, ha haa " and : i cant believe i used to dry in jars" " man do you f*** taste this , man !" .
look, why your at it try this one to.

the amount of water used during flush is figured this way
(pot gallon size x 3 gal divided by 14 days ) :
then use that amount every day for 14 days .then 12 hours before you harvest the last day pour a dilluted mix off 2 tablspn per gallon of natural sea salt, this will cause reverse osmosis , then chop 3 hours before the light comes on and make sure it is dark(dont forget to untie any braces you used the night before , then hang in a normal temp 65-75 with no real wind blowing on them , just let it do its thing o' natural. look at the picture of jamaica hanging in huts.

and believe me the info that they just gave you is worth major money , they know now that before they knew this , they would have paid someone to teach them,
believe me they tried the sweat technique and lost 6 oz. to dicomposing in paper and plastic bags. and jars... hazey amonia enough to make you cry

p s . if you are feeding in soil , every time you fert/water you need to pour reg water first then wait 10 mnts then add fert then wait 10 mnts then add more water , and make sure that the water that drains out the bottom does not have the plant sit in the waste .disposs of plant waste (they read all this on here and it all works )

p.s. you did great by doing this thread and one day it will be moved to the top.

your welcome all that read
keep it twisted kid , this is buddah

Right on twisted! Makes me wonder though, if simply hanging was enough, who/where/when/why did the jar curing methodology come about. Obviously I couldnt trace its origin but perhaps someone else could shed light on what happens in the jar that wouldnt on the branch'n the open.

Also used DWC for this lady and the flushing was a-ok!

Jnugg

Veteran
First off I was always told to hang dry in a dark,cool (60-70F) room and to have circulation not on the buds themselves but below them....keep humidity around 60-70% for first few days to week and then drop humidity to 30%.

Once stems snap and buds are dry to the touch but are still pliable/spongy (you can squeeze a bud lightly and it just poofs back to it's normal shape) you can either place in paper bag for few days or jar them and burp 2-4 times a day for first 5-7 days then 1-2 times a day for the 2nd week and one time a day for the third afterwards leaving sealed shut for the remainder of the cure...jars should be stored in cool (60-70F),dark and dry area.

The low temps of the drying process slows it down giving the plant more time to break down cloraphyll and it also preserves aroma and taste.

The cool temps in the room the jars sit in also aid in preserving aroma and taste....you want them to sweat as little as possible over an extended amount of time.Too high a temp and temp in jars goes up,heating buds making them sweat profusely.

G

Heheh, thank Jnugg. Funny thing is, I've read what you stated as well as the multitude of other threads... yet somewhere in the process my bud would still come out like hay or a mild scent of what it should have been.

Hence why I've created this journal... to not only regurgitate what's already been posted but to test those items and find/prove the method which actually works the best. Be it just hanging, hanging-bagging-jarring, hanging-jarring, and the list goes on. I'm sure there's no 1 method that works the best, but hopefully this will get me closer.

Afterall, nothing worse than spending 3 months on the 'perfect grow' only to mess it up curing it.

Today is day 21! So Jar 4 is getting burped and that's it until day 30.... can't wait to smoke up some of the buds! :)

Jnugg

Veteran
Ill deffinately keep a watchful eye on this journal klutter...gl with you test.

G

Oh! forgot to add.....

If anyone has any other recommendations that could use testing please let me know!!

I have a Chronic's Revenge coming to a close soon - she's at 49 days right now... I think it's a 56-63 day strain, chances are I'll push her to the 60th day just to get those ambers.

My plan for her is not only to repeat the tests in my current blue mystic cure but also to add things that others believed 'did the trick'. Right now it's cutting a single (good sized) branch, trimming big leaves and leave it hanging instead of bagging/jar'ng.

If there aren't any others then I will leave the single branch, and repeat this cure test again with the multiple jar's, some in paper bags some not, etc.

Oh... the purpose for repeating the above test all over again is to simply allow for a different strain (testing to see if the cure is strain specific as earlier stated) variable, and document the changes. My hope is the results will be identical, thus eliminating the normal concern most have when they read this: Well, it worked for him but my strain is different. :)

hydroclops

You can pick you friends and you can pick your nos
Veteran
I will test everyone's bud, just send them to me I will dry and cure them and get back to you. :rasta:

G

nice thread, i wondered why more people don't post how they cure. it seems like a very important step. i have nirvana ww that i didn't really smell like anything. after curing in a paper bag, the smell started coming out a little bit. i always wondered how commercial guys do it. 10lbs into jars seems like a headache to me.

kovenant

2 more days Klutter!

i think im nearly as excited as you... i almost feel ill be sampling with you! :muahaha:

looking forward to your findings

Latest posts

Latest posts