What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 plus 3=?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Cool, thanks for getting back to me Verite. Sounds like you have some interesting traits in those seeds you're working with.

G

nice thread gmt :yes: very curious about this topic

i've got this white rhino baby that started as a tri but has been bi since the 2nd or 3rd set of leaves.....would this trait breed? is it still a trifoliate? don't know yet if it's m/f

here's how it started.....on the 5th or 6th set now

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi U.N.,
I tend to refer them as trifoliar traitors. They are more likely to revert to being bifoliar if their roots are restricted, although they can do it under any circumstances. Trifoliar tendencies are breedable, though I'm still trying to get it universal in a set of seeds and haven't succeeded yet.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Just a quick update.
The trifoliar mother has now been harvested and the seeds gathered.
First round results on popping the seeds.
5 test seeds were sprouted, before they popped the shells, the shells were manually removed (due to impatience), and I found 4 bifoliar seedlings and 1 natural born QUAD!.
I've never heard of a natural quad born that way, and cant bring myself to kill it off even though technically I've taken the grow down. I do still have a cut of my chosen trifoliar male, I'm gonna sleep on it and decide on my plans tomorrow. It'll probably involve popping some more seeds for a second test. Pics when the quad is big enough to pot into soil.

house

It would be interesting if you could keep developing it and see what happens. If you have to stop your grow I"m sure an expirience breeder here wouldn't mind taking the project off your hands. Post Pics too.

G

holy shit, you're on a whole nother level GMT!
i've seen a few trifoliars around these parts before in pics but it's great to have it concentrated so we can all figure out what the deal is with these traits.
a Quad?
what are the benefits from this? would these plants have a better yield/time potential?
- SubN

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea i woz intressted and stilll am in this adventure it woz a great read man your threads !...GMT its your first quad then i suppose ?...and you gonne kill it off?..that does't sound like GMT...:chin:....WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HIM....!ARE YOU A PODPERSON OR SOMETHING !!! hehehe...no serious ...that would't sound like a good dessicion in my book...

you gonne stop growun for a while?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
lol sorry didnt expect responses on this yet, I'm sitting in chat, next to Core and he hasnt even mentioned my thread is active. ok, erm, House, well, I've developed it quite a bit myself so far. If you take a look at my threads, starting with Evolution, then moving to the part time thread, and finishing in Lazy Growing, you can see all of the work I've been doing with them. A commercial breeder wants sellable seeds as quickly as possible, not a long term program. To do this right, it has to be done by an obsessive enthusiast.
Sub, hey thanks, yeah thats my thought too, just want to know whats going on and try to stabalise it. It is very recessive though, even crossing a male and a female both exhibiting the trait, 4 out of the first 5 test seeds were normal, although one looked like it had tried, but just split one of its cottys. Not sure on the benefit really, but in lower lighting conditions more leaf material allows it to capture more energy, but also needs larger rooting space to support the additional work its doing.
Hi Core, well I have had the quad trait exhibit, but not from birth, not with 4 cottys from the shell, and anyone else whose had quads have had the same thing. They develop, mine was born normal and bifoliar at first but became a tri and then a quad and that seems to be the normal for them, not that anyone has them often. But I've never heard of one hatching that way. I havent decided what I'm dpoing now. I was quitting and just trying to find the tri ratio, and hit a quad. It (I'm not saying he as I hope its female) is still in wet paper towels, along with some more seeds to see what they produce. I have to put it into soil tomorrow. Then I'll see what happens to the others before making long term plans. It would be so awkward not to quit now though, I have everything arranged to quit. If I wasnt quitting I should have something to put into the flower chamber, and its bare. I can see what sex this quad is under weak flouros, and thats not too much bother, but then I'm also affecting it by growing it that way, so breeding with it then becomes an issue if I do decide to come up with a cunning plan. To be honest i was just hoping for 5 trifoliar plants lol. That way I could kill em off and keep the other 600 seeds (guestimate) feeling certain that when I start up again I will find breeders without too much trouble. If I get good results from the next tester seeds, I may still do that, ie if I get 4 more quads, but in reality that is unlikely. I'll let ya know what I decide on and the results of the next test.
hehe House has a point with the poor pic ratio in this thread, sorry folks I didnt keep up to date on that this time.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Lots of scientific speak for my stoner chat bud.

But I'd also like to know:

WHERE'S THE PICS????

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran

well that's the quad, waiting to see what the other seeds produce now before making long term plans.

G

i have been waiting to see that quad seedling, great work your doing in here :yes:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
well after all my "they arent multi dna threaded" rants, its looking like they could be polyploid. I now have 2 quads, 1 tri, 2 failed tris (2 of the cottys were welded into one larger heart shaped cotty with one normal sized 1), and 4 normal bifoliars. That means that so far, only 1/3 seeds from a trifoliar x trifoliar cross are managing to free themselves of normality. But more than half of them are trying.

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
can't you already make'm a small special place at the other palce?if you get this rant lol

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Core, well after reading this thread, http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=61286&page=1 although I know I shouldn't, I may just be able to, just cant kill off something so rare. Especially as I now have 2 more lol. And 3 healthy tris. From 17 seeds. I know its far too early to say, and I need far greater numbers checking to find accurate ratios, but 1 in 6 seeds being successfull trifoliars, 1 in 6 being quads and 3 in 6 being normal, with one or 2 who arent sure what they are doing along the way, I think this is an interesting seed line. I'll do a group shot of the 6 I have kept for now, once they all open up fully as some of the cottys are still semi folded. They stack em one on top of the other in the shell then open em up rotating some 90 degrees to form the x shape when looking down on them.

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Hiya GMT :wave:
:rasta: man - you sure do breed da rebel womenz :laughing:! Those are some pretty good numbers on tri / quad. Who needs huge numbers when your magic garden gets this from less than 20 seeds? Strong work bro - always something interesting at GMT's garden!

Can't wait to see what you do with these ladies when you start back up! :canabis:

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
GMT said:

well that's the quad, waiting to see what the other seeds produce now before making long term plans.

Very interesting. :chin:

And the pics from the new cam are so much better! :yes: :D

Latest posts

Latest posts