What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does all weed smell hay-ish before fully dried?

OgreSeeker

I don't care what anyone says, the hay smell is not entirely dependent on strain, chop time or inadequate leeching. I have grown for many years and almost all the strains that I've grown smell a bit hayish/lawn clippings during the first 1-3 weeks after chop. This will go away as the bud begins to cure.
My cure is typical. I use to use brown bags for the "sweating" process but not anymore.

1. Chop and hang the plants. Cut all branches off each plant and hang separately. If you hang the whole plant there is a risk of mold as the vegetation is very thick.

2. Immediately after you hang, cut all large fan leaves off.

3. Let dry over the next 1 to 1.5 weeks in a warm, well ventilated, low humidity space.

4. Manicure bud after it is dry a prepare for jars.

5. Jar up all the bud.

6. Open jars AT LEAST once a day and let sit open for about a 1/2 hour. This will allow any moisture to be drawn out. Do this for about a week or two until all moisture is gone, the stems should bend just a bit before snapping...don't wanna get it so dry that the bud crumbles.

7. The longer you let the bud sit in jars, the better it will taste. After 2 or 3 weeks cure, your buds will have ZERO hay smell.

You'll know if you leeched well enough when you smoke the finished bud...if it is well leached before the chop then your smoke will be smooth,taste good and your ashes will burn down to a nice white ash.
If your plants were not leached good enough then you'll get that chemical after taste and the bud will be hard burning...in a pipe it will be burn like a hard lil piece of black coal. In a joint, it won't burn hardly at all.

Last edited:
U

ureapwhatusow

absolutely not, but you heat vaporize off the surface oils holding aroma and then you will smell hay

Some "oily" strains like certain NL #3, affie AK47 have to really be scortched up to experience that phenomenon

others a moth can fart away the flavor if you aint careful but i think its ore of a factor of heat degrading order and a strains amount of fragrance that comes ito play

Last edited:

dj digigrow

strawberry D, purple urkle, and sour Kush.. never smelled like hey... smelled great before, during and after the chop...
the smell just gets alot stronger after the dry/cure

Last edited:

tintala

waiting for stems to snap is waay to long where i live, its soo arid and dry, the bud would crumble if i used this method. 2 weeks here is like 1 month in the south.