What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling the Big Boys Out Of Hiding!! - Trimmer Machine

G

Lugen said:
That is the exact reason why I want one. I dont want trimmers, period, family only. But if it's only me and maybe one or two other people, how much can i REALLY harvest in that amount of time? Without a super fast trimmer it really limits the amount I can grow without losing crops to bud mold, or some other shit at the end of harvest. Imagine that! Having a great big harvest, but unable to process it fast enough, then losing it all? What a kick in the junk that'd be!

Hey, I agree with you about keeping your numbers down on trimmer's. Family is good, but shit can happen with them also. The only thing i see that i personally might not like. Is the way the trimming job is done. It looks to me that resin glands are going to be knocked off and you might lost alot of resin off the buds. I did watch the video on the other unit that was posted through the link and you could see the guy man handling the buds and that means less resin on the buds. They do have a bag to catch trim for bubble runs, but this means less resin on the buds and that could effect the smoke. I personally like this thread and everyone input. Nice to see members putting in their input on these machines.
Take care,
BG

Lugen

www.urbangrower.com

Scroll down there is a video of the machine in use. I know what you mean about losing resign glands, but I mean you need to justify lose of crop for a % of resign getting knocked off....I think if you put the buds through the machine right after you chop, the resign wouldnt have time to dry, and I think would have a better chance of staying on the bud

G

Hey Lugen, just checked out the video. Looks like a nice machine, but i noticed some of the trim hitting the floor in the back area. Also, from when they gave a shot inside the tube and the buds boucing around in there. I think your right about running them through as soon as harvest and then dry them out and then cure. I think that would be the best bet to save more resin from being lost. I'd be willing to try a unit out, but i doubt i would drop 15K on a unit. Uness i was running enough weight to really need a unit, but then again. I'd either want to try a unit or see one in use in person and check the buds before and then after. Thank for the link to that site. Pretty cool site with good video's.
Later,
BG

PS, I think some of the other smaller units from other company might be a good other choice. I personally been waiting to buy a aardvark trimmer and give it a try, but this unit is more for personal grows.

Lugen

Good eyes! I never noticed the trim flying around!

The thing for me is if my other trimmers are working their 9-5's, I can do a harvest by mself with this machine. The trimpro's and everything need to have fan leaves chopped off (pre-trim) then you need to trim on the machine. I've used a trim pro before and they're good, but just not as efficent as this machine can be with just one person. I mean if your chopping 10#/month +, this machine IS your trimmer, and you dont need to hire anyone. Pays for itself in labor after a month...

I would need to see one in person as well...

G

Lugen, i agree with you about harvesting by yourself. Another thin i noticed with this machine. It looks like if you put to much in the in hole. Your going to have to run the harvest a couple of times to get the buds trimmed nicely. That's another questions i have about this unit. How well does this machines really trim the buds compared to a human? The BIG up side with this machine. You can harvest and trim right away and then get all the trimmed up bud on some screens for drying. I'm wondering how many pounds one could trim up in a full 8 hours of working this machine? Also, does this machine need to be clean alot of can it handle about 10-20 pounds before cleaning all the resin stuck to the blades? Alot of questions, but ti does look like a killer machine. I'd love to see one in person and handle the buds before and after trimming. That's if i'm going to drop the cash on a unit.
Later,
BG

PS, I would lay down some cheese cloth or wax paper below the machine to catch all washed trim to run through the bubble bags. I had wasting anything.

Lugen

Ya I noticed that you can't too much in. I actually wondered how long before the machine clogs up, even on a trimpro after 5# you can start pull big chunks of scissor hash off it.

G

It would be a good idea to rent on or lease one if that was possible to give it a "True" full run. Put it through the work load you would be if owning one. I think resin build up would get heavy after awhile and one would have to stop and clean. There are a few things that would have to be looked at, but i think this unit should work really well for those harvesting in the heavy pounds.
later,
BG

Lugen

I can see the resign clogging up shit....

well when I get around to it, I"ll make a posting about how she runs!

G

Morning Lugen, did you end up buying a unit? I might buy one of the smaller units. Like the one posted on the other link. I think that unit works well and at least cuts most of the trim down and i could go over buds with hand shears for follow up. I still want to give this unit a look over in person. It looks like these units are sold in Canada. Don't know if a USA retailer is stocking them yet.
Good Luck and Happy New Year,
BG

N

Neptune

If you are serious about trimming 100 pounds of herb, you need to be serious about your strain selections.. Certain cola formations work better in trimmer than others. Usually, the bigger, phatter, and denser the nugs, the better for MOST of these machines.

You're growing for weight at this point, none of that OG kush bullshit. I recomend skunk hybrids. :)

That said, I do not use a machine, and I can process a half pound of herb in an hour, by myself... without manhalding my herb. Big fat heavy nugs, high calyx to leaf ratio... You really need to consider this factor. If you grow bushy leafy strains, you will work 4x as hard.

pot of Gizzzzold

excellent read, good thread.
A trimmer machine would be necessary if one were croping more than 15lb, but I am not nearly close to that. My point is, some strains can be done by hand is about asm uch time as a trimmer can, without busting the nugs into "comersh" quality.

Arcata Trainwreck is one such example. It's all bud, no leaf.

Lugen

Very good point, I think the smaller nug plants and the leafer they are the more problems you will run into....

Fast Pine

well, Im by no means a big dog, but I do have a aardvark. I can definaltly say that machine is a piece of shit!!..It cloggs up consistantly..Its a bitch to clean. That machine definantly isnt for the serious producer.If your nuggs are sticky and resionus, it will take longer than scizors.

I have researched trimmmachines extensively, and found the trimpro to be the best buy...It won best trimming product for 2006, in high times. I have seen it used, and you dont haveto trimm any fanleaves off before trimming. It can be run off a 1000w generator and transported to a guerilla site easily. The machine looks easy to clean too :confused: ..

Fast Pine

Neptune said:
If you are serious about trimming 100 pounds of herb, you need to be serious about your strain selections.. .
Great point!!

If one is lucky enough to have the climate to choose easily trimmable strains, this is a huge factor in the ease if trimming.

One of the only strains that will finnish at my altitude is leafy as hell..Trimmers worst nightmare!!

G

I got a Trimpro. Real cool machine. Definitely sped everything up, but they have one weakness - the fan leaves. Not the big ones (you cut those off before you hit the trimmer with the bud) but the smaller ones right under the bud. The quality of the trim improves a lot if you remove those. What i do is a have one of my folks do a pre trim of everything we cut down, then hand me the colas or place em on the side of me. Then me and another friend will tag team the trimpro. Finished prouct is there and the speed is real good.

This is not really necessary for all strains but for the most part removing as much leaf as possible is a good thing. When i run Trainwreck (hit with LK from week 3 for extra frost and resin :yummy: ) i dont do the pre-trim as much. Same with certain purples

Octagoner

Go look at CHODOs above posting for the Centurion.

This thing is 25 grand $US.

I spoke to the company and he claimed two guys/girls could do 20# in a day.

We've played around with the other trimmers including Hedgehog, Trimpro and found that the thing is just not that adjustable.

Some stuff needs a looser trim and forget about getting it tight.

We been having the trimmers do a full wet trim lately.

The big question for the Centurion company is who is going to supply the 20# test.
sample...

Any body have any experience with the Centurion?

Respect