What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Blood and Bones of the Fallen Grow Flowers

justiceman

Veteran
Sup everyone! I'm starting up a small outdoor grow this season and I am keeping this as basic as possible. It's been a while since the last one but I'm ready for some fun. A lot of people have already started. I'm a little late to the party which is fine as I don't really want them to get too huge. It is so much fun growing outside spending time in the sun and I think what I like best is the soil preparation. Come along for the journey.

Heres a throwback from a few years ago. It was a lot of fun.
picture.php

Here are the new beans getting ready!
picture.php

And here is the beginning of new life
picture.php

Strain: Dutch Passion Outlaw, GenoFarm Farm Cheese, Strain Hunters Afgooey
Medium: Organic soil
Grow Space: 2x8x10" raised bed, 4x8x10" raised bed
Lighting: The Sun
Nutrients: Blood Meal, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Dolomite Lime(Powdered), Earth Worm Castings, and last but not least Love

I germed the seeds a couple days ago and made LC's mix #2 for them to enjoy while they gear up for action. LC's mix is one of my favorites. It's a super solid simple mix that can be used in various ways.

LC's mix #2
6 parts Fox Farms Ocean Forest or a quality basic soil
2 parts Perlite
2 parts Earthworm Castings
1Tbps per gallon Dolomite Lime(powdered)

Alright on to the raised beds. I have a 2'x8'x10" and a 4'x8'x10". They are solid and have been holding the soil from my previous outdoor a few years ago. I decided I would amend the soil again and cleared out the natural vegetation that was growing. Recipe #1 from LC's soil mix recommendations is my choice.

Recipe #1
1 tablespoon Blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons Bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix

You may have noticed that Alfalfa Meal somehow snuck it's way into my nutrient list. Well that's because I only had a bit of kelp meal left over but I had some alfalfa meal laying around so..... I used them in combination to make up for the lack of Kelp. I know it's not exactly the same and Alfalfa provides a bit more N than kelp however it has a really nice amount of K. Should work out just fine.

For the next 2-4 weeks I'll be watering and mixing my beds around. The mixing will ensure a more even distribution of the organic matter and the periodic watering will help to bring the microbes alive and going strong. Then they will start breaking down the blood, bones, kelp, and alfalfa into a usable state for the plants.
picture.php
picture.php

starke

:lurk: Yep, I'm subbed to this one too. Need to learn all I can in case FL politicians ever get their heads out of their collective asses and I get to put a few girls outdoors.

iTarzan

I will follow along. Your past garden looked real good. Did you get some nice flowers? How long is your season in the void?

Right now the plots look like fresh grave sites.

justiceman

Veteran
:lurk: Yep, I'm subbed to this one too. Need to learn all I can in case FL politicians ever get their heads out of their collective asses and I get to put a few girls outdoors.
Good to have you along for the ride! Hopefully you too will soon get to enjoy the power of the sun.

I will follow along. Your past garden looked real good. Did you get some nice flowers? How long is your season in the void?

Right now the plots look like fresh grave sites.
Thank you. I did get some great flowers from that run. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as I was not as diligent about taking them at the time. haha my season in The Void lasts quite a while.

Seems to be a good growing season even in late April early May, but I typically wait to put plants out till around June to make sure they don't flower and then revert back to veg. Still plenty of time to get large as the growing season doesn't really end till late September and sometimes early October around here.

justiceman

Veteran
Nice, I am in to see how it grows.

I love raised beds, the "blood and bones" will be interesting.

Right on fellas. Good to have you along for the ride!

-------------------------------------------------------

Alright these little ladies are starting to have a good time. Just occasionally using unfiltered tap water. They don’t need anything else as LC's mix #2 has got a good amount of food in it already. Easy peasy.

I decided to add one more seed for this grow. It’s a G13 Blueberry Gum #2. She’ll catch up in no time.
picture.php

Farm Cheese
picture.php

Outlaw
picture.php

Afgooey
picture.php

Blueberry Gum #2
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
Alright these seedling are coming along nicely :biggrin:

The mix is slightly too hot but it’s not overkill either. Just giving them plain water when they want it nothing else. FFOF is some strong stuff even diluted with EWC and perlite. I typically go with LC’s mix #1 as it is softer on seeds than mix #2 IME.

Farm Cheese
picture.php

Afgooey(as you can see this one is feeling the FFOF the most. No worries it will mellow out over time)
picture.php

Blueberry Gum #2
picture.php

Outlaw
picture.php

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Yeah! that raised bed of yours is asking for it! :D

Are you using rock dust?
I mixed azomite rock dust into my beds a while back. I'm not sure how often I need to replenish that or if I even need to at all. I'm assuming it stays for quite a long time so I opted to not add any more this time around.

justiceman

Veteran
These little ladies are coming along nicely. Just getting plain tap water. No need to add anything else. :huggg:

I found my pump and air stones. I just need to go pick up some more EWC or compost, and some kelp. Hell I may have ran out of molasses as well.... LungCooking got the compost tea bug in me! I'll most likely make a 5-10gal batch and dilute it among the two raised beds. Compost tea is going to help break down and stabilize the soil even more in preparation for the young ones that will soon enter the stage. Although I'm sure I could get by without it since I just added some EWC to the beds however the glory of compost tea is it never hurts and can only help.

Turned my beds again yesterday. The smell of blood and bone is gone and now the soil smells pleasant and earthy.

Afgooey
picture.php

Blueberry Gum #2
picture.php

Farm Cheese
picture.php

Outlaw
picture.php

LungCooking

ahnn yes.. i like to use brewer´s yeast too and alfafa pelets, those holded together with molasses.
A nice thermostat to set temps to 28c and a 60L/Min pump and you have all the fun set :biggrin:

justiceman

Veteran
ahnn yes.. i like to use brewer´s yeast too and alfafa pelets, those holded together with molasses.
A nice thermostat to set temps to 28c and a 60L/Min pump and you have all the fun set :biggrin:

I have not tried brewers yeast or alfalfa in my tea's before. I'd imagine those are some pretty good additions. I do have my thermostat and and my super sweet 60l pump though. Love that damn pump. It put's all the weak aquarium pumps to shame.

LungCooking

I have not tried brewers yeast or alfalfa in my tea's before. I'd imagine those are some pretty good additions. I do have my thermostat and and my super sweet 60l pump though. Love that damn pump. It put's all the weak aquarium pumps to shame.

After i started using, i didnt stop anymore, actually im reading a lot of things about effect of yeast on plants.

I found this article about Yeast and Oil production from Borago Officinalis, seemed quite interesting

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...d-Oil-Content-of-Borago-Officinalis-Plant.pdf

Ahh yea, those weak aquarium pumps dont manage to maintain the do2 at 6ppm in the compost tea...

justiceman

Veteran
After i started using, i didnt stop anymore, actually im reading a lot of things about effect of yeast on plants.

I found this article about Yeast and Oil production from Borago Officinalis, seemed quite interesting

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...d-Oil-Content-of-Borago-Officinalis-Plant.pdf

Ahh yea, those weak aquarium pumps dont manage to maintain the do2 at 6ppm in the compost tea...
Thank you for the link :biggrin: I'll have to read up on that.

Yup in the past I tried to make some teas with those aquarium pumps and they did "ok", but produced nowhere near the earthy smell that the 60l pump provides. Waterfalls work pretty good too but it's a bit more of a hassle to build IMO.

justiceman

Veteran
Yo everyone! These seedlings are starting to push. The leaf sets are coming in and their strength grows daily.

Still just plain ol tap water and love. I can’t wait to toss them outside. I hope everyone is having a fine day :wave:

Farm Cheese
picture.php

Blueberry Gum #2
picture.php

Afgooey
picture.php

Outlaw
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts