What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MY FLYTRAP HOBBY!

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sundews are one of the easiest carnivorous plants to grow, especially under grow lights or in a sunny windowsill. Grow them in a mix of sphagnum peat and perlite. It is very important to NEVER give them any fertilizer or nutrients because it is toxic to them. They will get all that from the bugs they catch and are adapted to living in nutrient poor soil and will even thrive with no bugs at all. Also it is important to only water them with distilled or RO water as the salts, minerals and/or chlorine in tap or well water is also harmful to them. If growing from seed just sprinkle them on top of the medium and keep moist at all times. Same with adult plants, sundews actually like being very damp at all times and do well standing in a tray full of water.

I highly recommend a Cape sundew (Drosera capensis). A single plant will quickly grow as well as flower and produce seed which will drop on its own and make even more plants! They also come in a few color variations.

A tip on buying them: avoid ebay. Those Chinese vendors specialize on selling dud seeds or seeds that are total bullshit altogether. Go through a reputable nursery for seeds or an adult plant. California Carnivores and Predatory Plants have a history of good service to name a few.

Happy growing!

Will they do well in the outskirts of the lights? Or do they need direct light? It would be awesome if I could have a few on the outside edge of my lights.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Will they do well in the outskirts of the lights? Or do they need direct light? It would be awesome if I could have a few on the outside edge of my lights.

Most sundews like full sun. Give them the brightest spot available.

Another fly trap:
attachment.php

Attachments

• fly trap.jpg
    fly trap.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 38

St. Phatty

Paper Bags of sugar with a trace of sugar on the bottom make great fly traps.

It becomes more obvious if you are lazy and open new bags of sugar, and leave the old bags with crusty sugar in the bottom laying around.

I just grab the paper bags that are full of flies, close them hard, and place them outside.

maybe next time I'll try it with a full size paper shopping bag.

Of course, I could eat the flies, because they contain protein, but ... I'm not that much of a prepper.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I would try it and find out, but yeah they generally enjoy full sunlight. I don't use artificial lights with mine at all and keep them in a south facing windowsill and they do great. I've seen some gorgeous sundews grown under T5 fluorescents and LEDs. I'm sure HIDs would also do a great job.

Latest posts

Latest posts