What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WET VS DRY Trimming

JointOperation

i do the same thing.. slow dry.. and start to trim when there bigger branches are starting to dry out.. mainly personal use. but i help my friends stay away from nasty meds.

Vivianna

DRY always! You want your stuff to smell dank yoou want to smell it across from the neighborhood.. Now thats good bud

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
I've been toying with this dry trimming since the first time i read this thread.
you may have already been talking about the same thing...but in my experimentation i found that somewhere in between is actually the best. Moist trimming if you will.

i tried trimming at chop aka wet trim.

and then i tried dry trimming which was hanging untill dry enough to jar before trimming.

for both of those the wet trim is a neater job, but i like the way the smaller bud leaves wrap around the buds on the dry trim. when wet trimming the scissors gum up a whole fucking lot more than dry trim. but with dry trim i lost a whole lot of trichomes.

i found a happy medium. moist trim. wait till the plant is halfway dry then remove all your major leaves. after it's completely dry for the jar do the final manicure of the bud leaves into the trim jar/shake jar. doesn't gum up the scissors as much as wet, makes it easier to trim the fan leaves at the base of the stem since all the buds pulled away to reveal the bases. it's like cutting a bunch of wires to defuse a bomb by that point. snip snip snip snip snip... done.

Indikush

I've been wet trimming for awhile now. From my experience wet trimming all of the fan leaves and most of the sugar leaves too, but not too close. When it's dry enough to put in the jar I trim all of the smaller leaves with some detail to shape then up like i want to. The dry trim is what i keep, the rest I trash. Although, saving the "trash" may be useful to some.

DrFever

Veteran
Dry trimming you guys mean chop a tree hang it upside down and once dried trim it ??? wouldn't it be a mess ??? I mean i have thrown chopped plants into a bag took it where i was going to trim and leafs were glued to buds ,, I truly was a nightmare.
I really don't think this is a better way just my 2 cents the smells and everything come with proper drying thats it
IMO i like to wet trim this way i am not touching the buds as much when there half dried when the non active THC is converting THC
IMO the key is Even drying temps and RH and good air movement
As for my self i like temps to be in the low 60's humidity 45 - 55 with wet trimmed buds on screen
Will have fans running on medium not directly blowing on buds just above
anywhere from 48 - 72 hrs on screens i will gather them all up into garbage bag carefully take air out of bag twist bag and leave it in there for 6 - 8 hrs
by doing this ....... being outside of buds are dry all the wetness from inside the bud will move outwards so after 6 - 8 you place buds back on screens for another 12- 24 hrs after that Bag em opening them up daily

Attachments

• DSCF3933.jpg
    DSCF3933.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 14
  • picture486.jpg
    picture486.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 475.jpg
    Picture 475.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 18

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
U throw a freshly chopped plant newhere u gonna have issues... if i pile a room up take to long they flatten out s stick together just a mess .. u takem n hangem upside down.. full leave till completely dry the leaves just fall off with a touch..... its a fine line to dry u get crispy shit to wet u got a sticky pita... dry trim everytime for me...

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree, dry trim every time. 5-6 days hanging, then trim and seal. Then burp. Drying temps need to be between 65-80 degrees. Rh between 55-65 or you lose terps and they never come back.

JointOperation

I realized yes.. dry trim makes it more difficult.. but then again.. since most growers.. don't have a dedicated room that's environmentally controlled to DRY in.. dry trimming works better..

if u have the environment controlled it shouldn't make a huge difference at all..

but ya.. u do lose some trichs dry trimming.. but ive found I lose a lot of smel an taste wet trimming..

also.. ive noticed.. I can cure for a week after a dry trim.. and it smells an tastes twice as good as a week in jars from a wet trim..

so I think ill stick with it ..

unless I have an outdoor harvest of 50+LBs.. then ill dry trim.. if I have that much bud.. then the environment is going to stay moist enough to wet trim.. just need to have a carbon filter.. and exhaust lol..

for dudes with an environmental controller that's not in use.. this could save u lots of time.. wet trim and control the environment completely allowing you to slowly dry your buds .. works great.. but I don't have the extra room or environmental controller.. ATM..

maybe with the new place.. ill have a dedicated trim and dry room

theother

Dry trimming you guys mean chop a tree hang it upside down and once dried trim it ??? wouldn't it be a mess ??? I mean i have thrown chopped plants into a bag took it where i was going to trim and leafs were glued to buds ,, I truly was a nightmare.
I really don't think this is a better way just my 2 cents the smells and everything come with proper drying thats it
IMO i like to wet trim this way i am not touching the buds as much when there half dried when the non active THC is converting THC
IMO the key is Even drying temps and RH and good air movement
As for my self i like temps to be in the low 60's humidity 45 - 55 with wet trimmed buds on screen
Will have fans running on medium not directly blowing on buds just above
anywhere from 48 - 72 hrs on screens i will gather them all up into garbage bag carefully take air out of bag twist bag and leave it in there for 6 - 8 hrs
by doing this ....... being outside of buds are dry all the wetness from inside the bud will move outwards so after 6 - 8 you place buds back on screens for another 12- 24 hrs after that Bag em opening them up daily

The trick to dry trimming is a really thorough big leafing. The next time I chop I will throw a pic of a big leafed plant in here, I think that's where we are losing people. One of the best things to do for dry trimming is to big leaf the last week the plants are flushing. I like to remove as many of those leaves as possible and then let the wounds heal up before they are hung. The other way to do it is to hang with the big leaf and then crunch that shit off before you de bone and trim.

The slower they dry the longer they stay perfect. IMO the best thing going is a 2 week dry with a whole crew of people ready to finger trim. It's absolutely best if they don't get deboned into a bag, the leaves wrap at that point and it gets harder. It's the only way you can do it though when you have many many pounds". The advantage is they stay perfect in then whole time.

theother

Forgot to add one more thing, this has made all the fucking difference to me. What I did was get a portable evaporative cooler from a big box store. THe fucking thing wouldn't work because when it came on it didn't start the blow or tr pump. It didn't really help me so I drilled a hole in the side, fished another 150 gph pump down there and plugged it into the water return up to the pad. I took that pump cord and put it on a humidistat (ebay, incubation supplies)

That shit is bomb!!! I leave the blower on low and when the humidity goes down it starts the pump. Ii cns keep a large room(20x20) at perfect 60-62%.

I love this!!! I leave that shit and the dry (try and keep the temp 61-63) then once it's deboned in bags I bring the temp up to something reasonable but keep the humidity up. I can walk away from a tray I'm t come back 2-3 hours later and it's just the same. A good lomg hang and a controlled environment and there is so much less to worry about.

IndoGorilla

Going to try the wet trim for my first harvest. I hope the general consensus is right! Because I love my fresh frozen ice hash and I sacrifice all dat trim. :D

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Im dry trimming this year outdoor its only the second time doing so, im deleafing the big fans and some sugars as well. i have caterpillars this season as with some rot cause of it. if i was to miss a few buds that had some mildew/mold and or a caterpillar will it keep spreading? even though its hanging and drying. Thanks

JointOperation

I think anyone who doesn't have a controlled environment.. should avoid wet trimming..

but.. also.. like one the dudes above me said..

the week before I chop.. I also pull every single fan leaf that has no trichs on them OFF.. everything else says so it doesn't dry too fast.. but it really depends on how many plants your drying in what environment.. when I dry 10lbs.. in a small room. ya I deleaf all fans. but if im drying 1 or 2 plants.. I don't so it slows the dry down..

its all about slow .. slow.. drying..

just like when u purge BHO.. slow.. and low.. wins for taste

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
when you guys do a dry trim and have a shit load of stuff to bust through, once its somewhat dry to the touch will you break down every bud and throw it in a big rubbermaid container or should i leave the bud whole on the branch and just keep stacking up the container, while burping it everyday or so? Thanks

TrinZilla

how about dry hanging until you are ready to dry trim. then just turkey bag it. that way you don't damage trichomes and ravage your beautiful crop. the less shuffling of semi dry plant flowers the better the end result.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read a bit of this thread and decided to just cut the fans off of part of a harvest & wet trim the rest.

After 6 days hanging there's a huge difference in aromas.
The trimmed bud smells like grass while the other is oh so sweet & airomatic.

I'm pretty sure this ends wet trimming for me.
Phew! Now I can take my time.

Thanks to all for the inspiration to try this out.