What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Some people say the amber trich issue is a myth? What am I to believe?

beancounter

Veteran
I've had many strains stall out at the 5-10% amber trich level, and not get any more amber no matter how long I left it. I've also left seeded plants for double the recomended flowering time (100 instead of 50) or even longer and the trichs never got more than 20% amber.

The only strain I've seen amber dramaticaly to about 30-40% was C99 F3s..

I've witnessed this time and time again, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my conditions.

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
try to harvest your plants at the desired mature-ness .. then dry them as normally and put them to cure .. before they enter the jars , take some macros , and right after 8 weeks of curing , youll see the difference ! most of my strains took on a "amber" look after some weeks of cure ....
think about it peopz !

Fj

G

Radio Shack Scope

Radio Shack Scope

What is this scope from radio shack called and what do i ask them for when i go to get it. I have in past grow always just looked at the hairs and ended up with a less potent product but i want to change that this time around so any help would be great.

stevr59

well my tricks never trun amber i was growing a ak47 x bb so i watied and they never came was 12 week in flowing and had to cut it down i wated to long and yet my tricks where still couldy and some clear and may be 2 to 3 ambers all ready got her in the curning jars took a little out to samble and ws not as goo as the last harvest of the same plant the hight only lasted about 30 mins and was know where as good as the frist grow i lisen to every one telling me dont harvest waite till they trun amber well not shure what happend here but they never came.

BeachBum

Ive seen patches of ambers visible with naked eye on c99 f'2s Under the scope they look like rubys. So far all strains I have seen all eventually get amber trichs.

G

Some plants just will not have many amber trichs. I've waited for amber trichs experimenting with a few strains. Some will get amber and some will not. It really depends on the genetics or atmosphere IMO. I honestly believe that once my plants get to about 80% cloudy trichs I have 2 weeks to chop it or it will start losing potency. It will start to degrade after that.

I'm not looking for an arguement here these are my opinions based on numerous grows and harvests.

G

My plants taught me to get them earlier for speedy kinda high and later for better taste. I usualy find myself harvesting when overall plants health is on decline or one could say it freezes and goes packing.

Captain Skunk

Pistels (hairs) have nothing to do with Trichome production or color.They are the pollen receptors for each flower. if they don't get pollenated they die and new calyxes will grow and take thier place. (bigger buds)

Different strains have different finish times. The plant is finished when the trichs turn amber. Some strains can take in excess of 90 days to finish.

Trichomes on some strains can be seen with the naked eye but you would be amazed what you can see under 60-100% magnification....don't trust trich color to your naked eye.

I consider 100% cloudy trichs a minimum for a mature bud. After you have waited for amber trichs you'll understand the difference in potency. testing buds as they progress is the best way to learn. harvesting in stages is a great way to get the lower buds to finish.

trimming "sucker" branches from the bottom will not force the upper buds to grow faster. Specific roots, support different parts of the plant. they do not re-route nutrients to the remaining buds.

stay safe

Like captina said hairs have nothing to do with triches. I find that the high for an indica isn't that enjoyable (imo) until atleast some triches start turning amber. Like captain also said, 100% cloudy is the absolute minimum you should harvest them at.

G

It's all about preference, some strains I like 50/50 cloudy clear. Some I like well done. My C-99's taste, high, smell and smokes so much better when I harvest her earlier than later. You really have to experiment with your strains to find the best finishing time for your taste. You can't just throw out a blanket statement like That IMO, It's all about personal taste and finding what you like about that strain.

Last edited:

Old Soul

Veteran
There are some strains that will never turn amber. When the trichs are swollen and clear you will get an energetic high. Once they start to turn cloudy the THC is starting to degrade. Cloudy/Amber trichs will give you a couchlock stone. You do not have to wait until they are Amber. If they are 80% cloudy or better you will have a nice couchlock stone.

As for planting from 12/12, I can say it does not decrease potency. I have grown the same strain both ways and the plant has been just as potent each time. The plant will not flower until it is mature enough so it does not matter when you switch the cycle. It does work better with Sativa's but if you have a stretchy Indica I would suggest trying it.

Peace

Old Soul

T

THCV

just a note about how long the high lasts and trich color: if you go 50/50 clear/cloudy, you'll get a 15 minute "up" high that disappears completely in an hour. While that sounds like a ripoff, in a way, if it's the kinda high you like then try it out--it really is crystal clear and no nap is required. Too much amber and you will be asleep an hour after smoking (or 5 mins of you are a girl!). The amber color is oxidation, just like a bannana, and it signifies 2 things. 1. It's going bad 2. It's gotten as strong as it is going to get. If you harvest before seeing any amber, you have no idea how strong it could have been (were you 1 week from amber? 2 weeks? 3?). So even for "up" highs, i like to make sure 10% amber is showing, sort of an insurance policy that i have in fact let the plant get as ripe as possible. That way, I'll have a nice, long-lasting high with the intended characteristics of the strain's cannabinoid profile. Beyond that, it is getting over-ripe, and the degraded/oxidized THC will put me to sleep--which you might want.

Hash is black for a similar reason. Traditionally worked hash, made from sieved crystals or rubbed plants, has the trichomes popped completely during pressing, exposing the oils to air and oxidizing them much more than when the full sphere was intact, thus adding more degraded THC (CBN, NOT CBD), which is why traditional hash from morocco etc is such a downer. New age bubble hash is often fresh enough to avoid the extent of the breakdown, and you can still get a vibrant up high.

Amber, black, whatever: it's degraded. But it is also a sign of maximum ripeness on a living plant. And again, it's all about taste, but you need to try the different modes and see for yourself what you prefer.

THCV

Last edited:
G

Captain Skunk said:
Pistels (hairs) have nothing to do with Trichome production or color.They are the pollen receptors for each flower. if they don't get pollenated they die and new calyxes will grow and take thier place. (bigger buds)

Different strains have different finish times. The plant is finished when the trichs turn amber. Some strains can take in excess of 90 days to finish.

Trichomes on some strains can be seen with the naked eye but you would be amazed what you can see under 60-100% magnification....don't trust trich color to your naked eye.

I consider 100% cloudy trichs a minimum for a mature bud. After you have waited for amber trichs you'll understand the difference in potency. testing buds as they progress is the best way to learn. harvesting in stages is a great way to get the lower buds to finish.

trimming "sucker" branches from the bottom will not force the upper buds to grow faster. Specific roots, support different parts of the plant. they do not re-route nutrients to the remaining buds.

stay safe

I guess if you like to have a heavy stone and fall asleep on the couch...then using your theory is best. But maybe...just maybe, not everyone likes to be a vegetable after smoking a cracker.

Instead of sending me an insulting pm, touting how smart you are...when it's obvious your overwhelming intelligence is a figment of your imagination....you should try having an open mind, and realize you're not the greatest grower on the planet...and not everyone has to agree with you, or want their plants to be so ripe, that the thc has already started to degrade.

Cheers,
SH

fatboyOGOF

i like to get high all day long on the weekends. A BROTHER HAS TO RELAX!

anyway, i only let one part of one crop go 50 amber 50 cloudy. i was asleep in 2 hours. it's kinda embarrasing waking up at 4 or 5 am. toking that beautiful first joint of the day and passing out at 6. then again, i'm old and i might have enjoyed the stonyer aspects of amber trics way back then.

i usually cut when a few amber trichs are popping up. nice!

it's all about what you want out of your several months investment. for stony, instead of going to amber trichs, i just bought some white rhino and sensi star. :)

i'd rather be high then stoned.

G

I harvest some cloudy/amber for rest and relaxation and some Clear/cloudy with 10% amber for daytime. I can make honey oil or red oil, same results. There is a weight differential of approx 15% point blank waiting will give better yeilds. pax

70s_PotHead

Another thing you may want to do is break open a bud and check the trics on the inside. The Robert Plant i'm going to chop in the next day or so has clear, cloudy and maybe 10% amber on the outside but when I pull a chunk lose from the main kola the trics on the inside are solid amber so dont always go by 1 sample of 1 leaf, check the plant in several places for a accurate condition. Me I like a little variaty, If I want a up get it done high, i'll go for that jar, if I want a couch lock go nighty night high then I grab that jar, variaty is the spice of life.

70s :joint:

stevr59

well i for one am not waiting for them to trun amber again i mess a hole harvest becuse of that i swear i only seen may be 2 to 4 amber trichs each time i check with some still clear and like a fool i waited till the 12 week and quess what to dam late my poor ak47 looked like shit and now i got a hole 2 oz of some nice tasing smoke but with a nice clear buzz that last maybe 30 mins and its gone the grow before that i harvest the same strain when all the trichs truned cloudy in her 8 weeks and that shit rocks half a joint and i and fucked for 2 hours. this grow i think i will waite till week 9 of flowing and call it good no need to wach trichs since i know this strain well now next grow not shure cuz i will be trying jbl chemdwag x c-99 so not shure what she will do may be the 50/50 rule will work with that strain

G

My grow last year was a little early and my buddy gave me some feedback about how it made him paranoid. However I smoked the same bud as him and I can tell you that it's a clear 'up' high.

I always remember the high I got 25 years ago as "ragweed". It was commercial weed back then; I always wanted to just watch TV. Today my fresh girls do NOT rag me out.

The trichs at that harvest were 50/50-clear/cloudy with very little amber.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Captain Skunk said:

stay safe

It's odd to hear you say something like that Capt., different roots may support different parts of the plant, but a root system is only part of the the energy distribution of a plant, nutrients are moved without the intervention of roots, as are sugars, etc.

Onepunchko

I preffer 25%-50% amber with my kushes, but thats just me. It really is prefference IMO.

Also, Im confused about captainskunk's trimming comment as well. In my experience, pulling the "sucker" branches makes a big difference. am I imagining things?

Latest posts

Latest posts