What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Non cured vs cured buds

Betterhaff

Veteran
I had a couple of phenos of a strain that I was trying to select to keep going with. After harvest and drying both were very similar in aroma, taste, and potency (both very good). After a 2-3 month cure one was hands above the other on all counts and I’m still growing her to this day. I would say curing can make a big difference.

NEGT1

YOU ARE SO FUCKING PRETENTIOUS AND WRONG AND I CANT BELIEVE I ACTUALLY READ ALL OF THAT

DO YOU THINK YOU ARE THE WEED MASTER YOU RETARDED FUCK
HOLY SHIT
I know you won't ever see this because you haven't posted in two years, but I made an account just to tell that you sound super condescending and autistic.
you are a 16 year old who believes himself to be a professional weed connoisseur.
fuck you dude. fuck you for making me make an account 2 years later.

lol

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I always thought that a bud, that is dried and cured after XX (say 21 days) that weighs 1 gram, has x amount of (say 100,000 tricomes/THC)., is for example, 100K strong potency. when one smokes 1/4 gram of 'that' bud at that time, one is vaping/smoking 25K of those 100K tricomes but if one waits a month, that one gram bud might only weigh, say, .80 grams or 20% smaller 'in weight' but still contains 100K tricomes, so a vaped/smoked .25 gram piece will have ?? 30K tricomes/thc content... tada, stronger.:tiphat:

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Seem's to take the "edge" off fresh bud and bring a more complex and sometimes mind-numbing stone that wasn't there before.

Strains I have found to be exponentially better with age included Kc33 and true Afghans or afghan crosses. I have a feeling this BB I have is going to be 10x better cured too.

Some strains I would almost prefer fresh and more so indoor. I've cured some fresh indoor and it seems to lose it's smell/taste..

BT

:yeahthats

I REALLY found that both The White Jones & Grape Plague tasted MUCH smoother after a few months curing. On occasion, I'll have too many jars of flowers to smoke them all, so some get really old haha. I have smoked some that were a year old and at that point, the buds just taste like hay.

Recently had my first jar of bud have mold appear one a cola. Had to throw away all of it, was disappointed. When the bud is dried completely well, the aromas are only brought out by a nice length of cure (30+ days)

:tiphat:

Non cured Vs Cured

I think it all depends on the plant at hand and its cannabinoid & terp profile - the variables come into play for me between growing a vast amount of different genetics and my own preferences . With that said , some plants are excellent off the line and others horrible both sats and Indicas along with hybrids . The ladies that are dank off the line tend to never get a cure around here due to patients and myself . I tend to prefer these types but I love em all when it comes down to it .

In general all herb will become more potent with a cure due to decarboxylation , but somewhere in this all the cannibinoid combinations come into play giving different results . I have some strains that seem to have a major change in effect with a cure and others that stay fairly the same with a little intensity after a cure but still the same . Might as well note too that some ladies just taste divine when freshly dried and I always cherish those types of plants . I think we all know what green strains are like - curing then is almost a mandatory , unless you like to smoke hay .

Often I find myself not really interested or happy with a new line of genetics I have harvested and then I put it away and forget about it . All to often I pull these not so well liked buds out after a 6 month minimal cure and they become so different in effect and better then before the long cure . This does not always apply though , many times not I'll resample a jar after six months to a year and deem it to be thrown in the hash pile .

I ll conclude my stoned high mess of thought here with a note about a old trinket my father and mother kept . It was called The Maximizer if memory serves me well , it was a small device that dried out low grade weed and decarboxylated it for your pleasure . Mom and dad always dried mexican weed in the oven and it puzzled me as a kid , seemed like they were cooking pot everyday of the week . I later learned on in life that it was due to it being low grade and wet . If they did not dry it well it would not have much effect , once dried everybody liked it and bought it . Cured weed to my parents meant dark colored and sticky , they claimed it was cured in a dark warm building with controlled ventilation verses the normal sun dried mexican weed

idiit

Veteran
this is one of my "hot topics".

i am an outdoor grower growing predominately outdoor landrace strains. i have a crew that i give bud to for free ( they are poor) for smoke reports at dry, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, even longer.

choco chiba, purple haze, ghana all needed 6 month cure for optimum potency. ace seeds golden tiger 2011 got remarkedly better in high effects, not potency itself after 6 month cure.

i'm thinking certain cannabanoids need cure time and some don't. each strain and usually each pheno in each strain has a different cannabanoid profile.

i don't know why, but some strains don't seem to improve in potency nor high effects with extended cure and some do. i actually test this shit out with every strain i run if i think it might be a keeper/breeder.

i think most strains do improve in taste after decent cure. sometimes the cure actually reduces the terpene desirability. my highland oaxacan red (jezebel) that was left on the vine till freeze and after a long cure thereafter lost its desirable terpenes. the best batch was the first harvest with no cure.

my crew does test this on every strain and because i've got trash bags instead of glass curing jars it's no big deal to kick soime back for evaluations. i'm still smoking my 2012 golden tiger and it's still kicking ass big time in a very good way.

go figure. :)

Yep idiit ! I grow indoor since 4 months and outdoor since 5-6 years and many outdoor weeds take all her potency in smell/flavour/effect past 6 months ;)
But personnaly, after 6 months in glass jar on dark, cool and dry place, buds are always very dry (not until the powder but really dry)

Jhhnn

Veteran
Meh. Weed dried too quickly tastes nasty & smokes harsh. Dunno that proper curing affects potency, but I doubt that it hurts.

I very much agree with Simon about relatively slow drying over a period of several days or a week to bring the moisture content down into the 60-65% RH range in the jar. That's when actual curing begins. Some strains' qualities don't seem to change much past a few weeks' cure, others seem to keep evolving over a few months time with greater nuance in aroma & taste. Dunno about really long cures except to say that there's probably a point of diminished returns somewhere. Samples I've kept curing for over a year seem to have lost a bit in the aroma dept, don't seem to smoke any smoother than after a couple of months' cure.

I'm sure that varies by strain & harvest timing as well. I also suspect that many users have smoked well cured weed only by accident, growers' desires to convert product to cash being what they are. It's an area where legalization can bring positive changes with providers seeking greater market share by offering product with superior aroma & taste. It's the difference between prohibition era booze (which had to be shitty) & properly aged whiskey. It's not any stronger- it just goes down better.

JointOperation

I rarely have time to cure bud..when i do it cures for quite some time....because i simply forget about it, not smoking at the time, or simply smoking other stuff. most stuff i smoke is not cured....hell my customers won't let me cure my product...they're too in love with it and are always anxious to get more....

lol.. thats not your customers.. thats the greed of money.. i wont even send shit out my doors.. if its not cured atleast 2 weeks.. and thats after a good 10-14 day dry..

quality keeps customers loyal.. very simple.. once your customers find a better smoother tasting connect.. they wont come back to you lol . :laughing:

mouts

i think when u smoke weed thats just been dried it sorta has a planty smell and taste but after its been in a bag or a jar for a week or two that goes away. i guess it gets better with time but mine never lasts more than a week or two lol

DrFever

Veteran
Meh. Weed dried too quickly tastes nasty & smokes harsh. Dunno that proper curing affects potency, but I doubt that it hurts.

I very much agree with Simon about relatively slow drying over a period of several days or a week to bring the moisture content down into the 60-65% RH range in the jar. That's when actual curing begins. Some strains' qualities don't seem to change much past a few weeks' cure, others seem to keep evolving over a few months time with greater nuance in aroma & taste. Dunno about really long cures except to say that there's probably a point of diminished returns somewhere. Samples I've kept curing for over a year seem to have lost a bit in the aroma dept, don't seem to smoke any smoother than after a couple of months' cure.

I'm sure that varies by strain & harvest timing as well. I also suspect that many users have smoked well cured weed only by accident, growers' desires to convert product to cash being what they are. It's an area where legalization can bring positive changes with providers seeking greater market share by offering product with superior aroma & taste. It's the difference between prohibition era booze (which had to be shitty) & properly aged whiskey. It's not any stronger- it just goes down better.

And you don't think that legalization is not about the cash ??? ha
either way you shake it ,,, Its all about the CASH even noobs cashing in on it
During the first month of recreational marijuana sales, Colorado's licensed dispensaries generated a total of more than $14 million, putting about $2 million of tax revenue

Funny how you say taste and aroma that all comes from genetics
Shit 90 percent of the growers don;t even know when to chop
they just go by 40 - 50 percent amber or what ever they read or herd,,,
bottom line slow drying is the key 60 - 65 max and have 45 - 50 percent RH so it does not dry to fast usually 4-5 days on screens then place .
All buds in a big bag, with air taken out wrapped up and placed in dark place. then back on screens for 8 - 10 hrs your done bag them opening them up once a day

DrFever

Veteran
lol.. thats not your customers.. thats the greed of money.. i wont even send shit out my doors.. if its not cured atleast 2 weeks.. and thats after a good 10-14 day dry..

quality keeps customers loyal.. very simple.. once your customers find a better smoother tasting connect.. they wont come back to you lol . :laughing:

joint this world is all about greed its all about the money in everything either your in on it??? or your going to fail in life you know the old saying nice guys finish last lol
Anyways thats great you send shit out your doors if its not cured at least 2 weeks ... for others all it takes is one week to get it done and its out the door Why ??? you ask. cause it was being cured as it was drying nice and evenly.
Anyways some growers sell there stuff in grams oz or what ever lol and others ,,, send it out whole sale so there is really no customers hahaha just one guy laying down 20,000 or what ever most of the time you know you call that person week or so to give him that heads up .... he knows your shit is top notch dam i remember times he would make sure it was going to him ,, he would lay down 5 - 10,000 before it was even done LOL

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Curing removes the last Oxygen from the THCA turning it into the psychoactive molecule

Very interesting thread !
I was an outdoor grower and I finished my first indoor few weeks ago.

I obviously noticed the gain of awesome smell after 2 weeks of drying, during the trimming !
My drying process was exactly 18 days, and now curing since 5 days in glass jars in a complete dark and cool place.
I wondered when my buds will look like "coffee-shops/dispensary type" with deepest taste. But apparently, it will be in 2 weeks, right ?

I am allergic too, makes me sneeze. It just burns better...if you take the time to grow a plant do it right and cure it.

?? Wow really?

Ok. You have your way of doing things I have mine... 1 week is sufficient in majority of my cases, some prefer a longer cure...at least my connoisseurs do.. but for the most part 1 week. If you cure yours for longer on a regular basis, more power to ya... don't knock me for my way though.

I properly flush all my product and properly dry them...just cure time is not as long as i'd like, like i said a week... some growers prefer 3-4...to each his own. Don't like it move on. :tiphat:

Some People like good bud.. I like Good Bud.. you can keep that uncured stash/trash to yourself. True.. Curing takes time and weight from you.. If you're worried about weight.. stop trying, you're failing.

And Don't troll the Forum.:laughing:

growers, especially experienced growers all know better.