What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sell Me On AF's,I Dare Ya!

tonne

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=113582&page=18

I like the maxi goms handled by gene ridens so much.
And if this is really 75 days from
seed, the whole autoflower thing
"will surely hold -its- own in the cannabis community."
Like Mdanzig would say.

But I think at the moment there are too much autos
with too much indica effects and less the sativa in it.
Maybe the future will bring strong -more sativa based autos
that only contain the "autoflower gen" from the ruderalis
and not the "weak potency one".
I think it can be breed out totally.

I would love an outdoor-strain made by rez - for the big
outdoors i think semi-flowering strains like gg#3 are the
most interesting for me-till now.
But Lowryder #1 was just the beginning of the new auto world.
...like skunk#1 and after that came Super Skunk
...and now we have strains like 4SD or Sour Bubble which
I would call "overpotent".
But for the development to this point time was needed.
So I think it's the same for the "autos".

I think we need good breeders who work more specific like
simon or rez on a short selection of strains to become the
20% thc autos that produce big yields in short times, taste
like paradise and bring us more than a sleepy effect.

I by myself think Mdanzigs and some shortstuffs are
the next step - like Superskunk was.

"It depends on how you think.
is the cup half empty or half full?"

JAAM

I grow autos for 3 reasons.... 1. bc my veg space is larger then i need and why waste the room & light...? 2. Variety is the spice of life Rez... 3. See pics

Not everyone can wake and bake with some ChemxSourD and then go function at work all day... IMO autos are great functional daytime smoke when your not lookin to be crosseyed...

Attachments

• DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0042.JPG
    DSC_0042.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0059.jpg
    DSC_0059.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 16

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
REZ, seeing you asking about AF is a great achievement for the autoflower movement.
Great points for me are:

- MULTIPLE outdoor harvests (no light dep required)
- Urban gardening (easy to hide without any training/trick)
- Speed (no matter what people says, 12/12 from seed is nowhere as fast)
- Safety (from speed)
- Quality (latest AF achievement are better than a lot of early strains)
- The market is asking for em (from a breeder point of view)
- Easy to play/cross with (sex plants in 2-3 weeks from seed)

Many of the people here undestands that is important to preserve true breeding and gene pools, we dont ask for af taking over. Simply every one has different needs. AF fill specific needs for most of us.

Respect

=K

Muddy

Autos are hot right now and it seems that the majority of new research and breeding efforts are being geared toward them. New, more potent and higher yielding strains are coming on to the market all the time. When you consider that autos are relatively new, I find their possibilities exciting. When you compare the early strains like LR and LR II to newer things like Mi5, Onyx, AA, etc. the difference is night and day. While they may not be one hit and quit, I'll put them up against the majority of full sized strains for potency.

I think the new "super" autos will have a big impact on outdoor growing. This year I'm planning on starting a half dozen of them indoors around March 1st. They are 5 weeks to sex. Once sexed they will be planted outdoors around mid April in 10 or 15 gallon pots. Depending on the strains I grow, they should be finished by early July, before the choppers start flying. I'll start a second bath around June 1st so they are ready to go when the first batch is finished. I've got info right from the horses mouth that strains like Number One and Nirvana Sky are capable of up to 7 ounces per plant. I find it hard to argue with a potential 40 oz. harvest by the beginning of July followed by a second equal harvest in October.

Autos do have their place. I find it curious that most of the negativity about them seems to come from people who have never grown them. Kind of like saying you don't like a particular food that you've never eaten.

REZDOG

Veteran
Hi All! :wave:
I just want to state that even though I do not agree with this "direction" in cannabis genetics and breeding,I DO respect the ideas,focus and work that MDanzig and others have put forth. I've been watching AF experiments for years,anything novel in cannabis is interesting,at the very least.
As interested as I am in this AF notion,Reservoir Seeds will NOT be releasing any AFs. It's not our thing,and best left to people who are focused on doing the best at it that can be done. Fwiw,the pics here tell me that AF's have certainly come a distance from where they started,in a very good way. :)

So,riddle me this,still:
"Why not use "feminized" seeds,flowered small and packed tightly,triggered by a $20 timer?"
That way you could choose from a much wider scope of genetics and flower-times not restricted by available AFs,just "grow 'em small",is all.... (?)

In regards to "auto-flowering",
All of my Flower Rooms are "auto-flowering".
I use timers that automatically turn the lights on and off every 12 hours,flowering the plants automatically. :D
....Do the AF's sold these days flower under 24/on,all the way to harvest,indoors?

Cannabis is SUCH an interesting,ever-evolving-cock-a-roach of a plant,isn't it? :)

Cheers! :jump:

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Great thread REZ,

I think one of the problems with commercial breeders getting excited about autos is that it is very unlikely they will ever be used by cash croppers.
They are also not ideal for med patients trying to keep plant number limits, or large indoor grows. That is a big chunk of the market lost, I wonder if their popularity with new growers and stealth outdoor grows may balance that a bit.

I can see the attraction to AF's for many, it would be cool having all different types of phenos to smoke on, would make a great head stash.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Outdoors is where they shine REZ.
If you dont put on the table outdoor growing there's no point going on imho
Northern guerrilla growers dont buy REZ gear you know...

Peace

=K

tonne

excuse me, but thats wrong...
especially zenseeds
(you can find hybrids from hell in the near of them)
have some interesting mixtures with rezgenes in it-
like "snowdog bx1 x amnesia haze / arne" :)

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
You're only enforcing what i'm saying.
Making elite stuff faster or autoflowering does make a lot of sense outdoor.
Sour60 has "BOG genes" in it if you care...
Genes belong to mother nature btw

=K

canned abyss1

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=113582&page=18

But I think at the moment there are too much autos
with too much indica effects and less the sativa in it.
Maybe the future will bring strong -more sativa based autos
that only contain the "autoflower gen" from the ruderalis
and not the "weak potency one".
I think it can be breed out totally.

Some of us are breeding sativa based autos, LBH has some great looking auto hazes, and my strain Spyder is also sativa dominant. I prefer strong cerebral sativas, so this is what I breed into my autos.

tonne

You're only enforcing what i'm saying.
Making elite stuff faster or autoflowering does make a lot of sense outdoor.
Sour60 has "BOG genes" in it if you care...
Genes belong to mother nature btw

=K

I think the problem of old northern genetics is that you
have to refresh them with some "higher thc - plants" from
other genpools and make backcrosses to hold the thc level.
I think it's very easy to do this with stronger 18-24/24
autoflowering plants. I think about crosses like
"sour 60 x early durban" or "auto ak x manitoba madness".
I think the Result are very vigerous strong hybrids perfect
for the big northern outdoor growing fam.
Ready in middle-end August. Maybe some CS to make
Fem. Seeds out of reg.Strains...but isn't my thing...too
unnatural (!this is only my subjective opinion!)

JAAM

In regards to "auto-flowering",
All of my Flower Rooms are "auto-flowering".
I use timers that automatically turn the lights on and off every 12 hours,flowering the plants automatically. :D
....Do the AF's sold these days flower under 24/on,all the way to harvest,indoors?

Yes they will flower under 24hour constant light if they are stable autos... Most run a 20/4 or 18/6 schedule or autos...

REZDOG

Veteran
Outdoors is where they shine REZ.
Northern guerrilla growers dont buy REZ gear you know...=K

Thanks for the great input and views,this kind of thread is what makes IC Mag great! :)

Notes:

1) Indoors is very much my primary interest in AFs,not outdoors. I capish the "whys" quite well on growing AFs outdoors. TheAF- indoor thing is what tends to baffle me a bit,overall,given the choices available to growers today.

2) Reservoir Seeds released QUICK MIST and QUICK MIST DIESEL three years ago. They were bred using a 40+ day Mighty Mite and Kali Mist & Sour Diesel,specifically for northern latitude,outdoor growers with very short seasons,and greenhouse growers in the high>mid-latitudes as well.... The Mighty Mite influence bred heavily into those lines got them sexed & into flower as quick as you can say "moderate-intensity nighttime outdoor darkness flowers these lines"-in fact one might say they had "AF tendencies"-and in that case,outdoors,for short season,it's almost necessary for any level of success. Many peeps think that hybrids that do well inside,and have short flower cycles,will always do well outside at high latitudes,but that's not always the case. Hell,most "Indoor-only" hybrids have had a lot (most!) of the "industrial" (read: HEMP) qualities bred out to concentrate on higher drug-cannabis compounds,at the sacrifice of heartiness in the Real World outside. (Read: Outdoors.)
Breeding for that latitude was tricky,but Reservoir pulled it off.
Search a bit,there's some info posted. Oddly,it seems most were run indoors.... Go figure.

:thank you:

~RD~

. . . .

REZDOG

Veteran
Will Quick Mist be available again?
No,it was a one-shot deal-A Joint Project with a good pal of mine who's a northern breeder to fill a need that he & I saw for fresh,early-finish genetics.
Ask Seedbay/SeedBoo Staff via PM,I'd hazard to guess that there's some in the catalog,unlisted,somewhere.
If they DO find some,drop a thread in my forum and I'll see to it that you get some to much about with if you like,gratis.

:thank you:

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Awesome thread REZ

Awesome thread REZ

Your right, one of the best threads on icmag, no fighting so far, lets hope it stays that way!, for me i love both autos and 12/12 both have there odds and ends... I grow mostly autos indoor due to the fact that i only have 1 growing space.. I am am to keep a constant perpetual garden going under 1 light and 1 light cycle...I soon might be adding on, and i will grow both 12/12 and AF, hopefully ill run one of your strains!:)

:wave:

WasntMe

Rez,
Maybe Reservoir seeds would consider partnering with MDanzig to do a limited AF SD and AF Chemdog release (or maybe a less vital, to you, name brand strain).....I'm sure consumer interest would be there. Let MDanzig release them with some genetic help from Reservoir maybe.

I've heard good things, you should try growing or at least smoking some Sour60 to see if YOU would consider it "up to par". Maybe you can help, genetically, him getting even closer.

I personally have not tried Sour60 but have it listed for my next order to try some outside this summer, after all the good things I have hear about it.

I would certainly pony up for a few packs on that partnership if it ever manifested.
-WasntMe

OsWiZzLe

Rez keep the devils pollen away from your beautiful moms .....that shit is poision pill auto genetics