What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLONING WITH SPHAGNUM MOSS BY HIGH COUNTRY

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
nice work high country... i used s/m since i started.. lol.. cept my concept is a little different... i use a wick cloner with no dome...

Sphagnum moss is the best cloning medium I have tried so far, glad to hear of your success.

oldog

High Country - I did not have success with spagnum moss on three
airlayered/circumposed branches- no sign of any roots after 18 days,
Nor on 2 cuttings that I put in plastic cups with a bag over them,
removed bag after one week, wilted badly, bag replaced after one day, but did not recover.
Maybe Oz moss is better than what I got at my local garden store ? or Hormone expired ? Will try again.

Edit: this was with Lemon Skunk which I have posted about the difficulty with cloning.

High Country

Veteran
High Country - I did not have success with spagnum moss on three
airlayered/circumposed branches- no sign of any roots after 18 days,
Nor on 2 cuttings that I put in plastic cups with a bag over them,
removed bag after one week, wilted badly, bag replaced after one day, but did not recover.
Maybe Oz moss is better than what I got at my local garden store ? or Hormone expired ? Will try again.

Edit: this was with Lemon Skunk which I have posted about the difficulty with cloning.

Sounds like the strain is a tricky one to clone. I haven't done aerial layering with cannabis so cannot comment on that. With the clones try and keep the temps stable at 24C or 75F, trim the leaves well to reduce transpiration and please, don't prod, poke or tug them at all. Give them the full 3 weeks. I don't know if Oz sphagnum moss is any better, sphagnum moss is sphagnum moss I would have thought. Bottom heat provided by a heat mat may also help. How about some pics?

hi. i get great cold pressed sea kelp extract here. jug recommends 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. i was wondering how much you put in? i guess i need to find an EC meter yeah?

okay, i am actually wondering why couldn't you leave the plants in the moss the whole time, for bloom? ps, i dont know wtf i'm doing after three years.

wemary

High Country, really enjoyed this thread and all of your threads, you have great agricultural skills m8. :)

High Country

Veteran
High Country, really enjoyed this thread and all of your threads, you have great agricultural skills m8. :)

Regards wemary, have a read of my LET'S CLONE IN DIRT, WTF! thread, the link is below....another way to do it.

This cloning method was done in preparation for an outdoor grow I'm planning. It's in the Australia/New Zealand section and will be updated soon.

On a bit of a road trip at the moment.

-~Wind Walker~-

HC,

Thanks for taking the time to post this method. I like how you use one tub inside another with water and an aquarium heater.

I have used Sphagnum Moss as a drainage medium below a drip to waste system. It worked well for retaining water and enabling air to get to the roots. However I ran into an issue.

The sphagnum moss wreaked havoc on my PH making my nute solution acidic, thus causing lock out.

My first question is: Have you ever PH'd the water / nutes when the S.M. is saturated? What was the PH number or range?

I would assume this has never been an issue for you. I wonder, in general are clones less effected by water PH?

Second question: Do you recycle the S.M. after using it. If so, how many times until you replace it?

I was even thinking of mixing it with coarse (chunky) perlite to try a hydro run. I nixed that idea b/c of the PH issues I experienced however.

I am glad I clicked this thread. Now I will save my bag of S.M. for a cloning project.

-~WW~-

High Country

Veteran
HC,

Thanks for taking the time to post this method. I like how you use one tub inside another with water and an aquarium heater.

I have used Sphagnum Moss as a drainage medium below a drip to waste system. It worked well for retaining water and enabling air to get to the roots. However I ran into an issue.

The sphagnum moss wreaked havoc on my PH making my nute solution acidic, thus causing lock out.

My first question is: Have you ever PH'd the water / nutes when the S.M. is saturated? What was the PH number or range?

I would assume this has never been an issue for you. I wonder, in general are clones less effected by water PH?

Second question: Do you recycle the S.M. after using it. If so, how many times until you replace it?

I was even thinking of mixing it with coarse (chunky) perlite to try a hydro run. I nixed that idea b/c of the PH issues I experienced however.

I am glad I clicked this thread. Now I will save my bag of S.M. for a cloning project.

-~WW~-

G'day Wind Walker. I have never checked the pH of the water for cloning, just plain old tap water and the clones do just fine. I don't know if pH is a big issue for clones....after all, they have no roots and aren't feeding until about 2-3 weeks old.

I do re use the sphagnum moss probably about 3x before replacing it. I let it dry out then re hydrate it with tap water prior to re use.

One can also clone in dirt with no problems.

picture.php

picture.php

S

scai

Need to pick this topic up ;)
This inspired me, to try something new.

But, if I understand right?
You have this net (clones in it) tray floating on water?

I'll do bit differently, there is aquariumheater in water, but my floating mosstray is solid.
So, I will pour some rootbooster and water in bottom of it and then I apply some fresh sphagnum, just collected this morning.

Then I 'll cut clones and stick them to wet sphagnum?

Aquariumheater is set to 28 C.

Now, I understand that sphagnum is very good growingmedium, for it's sterile, and a bit on acid side?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good job. If this is pointed out all ready please disregard but Sphagnum Moss should not be confused with Sphagnum Peatmoss.
Two entirely different products! Shagnum moss is pretty much kept alive after harvest. It is the top layer in the bog and is normally used for supporting hanging basket arrangements. It does have the potential to carry a dangerous (for humans) fungus, Sporotrichosis.
Research before using.

Sphagnum Peatmoss on the other hand is entirely safe to use and it is the material used in soil mixes. It is harvested from lower down and dried out.

I have used Sphagnum Peatmoss for rooting for about 30 years with great success. I usually pack the little plastic planters (72 to a tray) with wet peatmoss, poke a hole, use rooting compound and Glomus Intraradices powder and push into the hole and squeeze as described herein, then cover with a hood. I also got 95 to 100% rooting and did up to 6000 cuttings per period. (eg. over 5 to 10 days, depending on help).

I was directed to this thread from organic soil so I'll post a copy of this over there so people can see they are two different products.

I'll have to try the Shagnum moss sometime, even though it scares me. :)

High Country

Veteran
Good job. If this is pointed out all ready please disregard but Sphagnum Moss should not be confused with Sphagnum Peatmoss.
Two entirely different products! Shagnum moss is pretty much kept alive after harvest. It is the top layer in the bog and is normally used for supporting hanging basket arrangements. It does have the potential to carry a dangerous (for humans) fungus, Sporotrichosis.
Research before using.

Sphagnum Peatmoss on the other hand is entirely safe to use and it is the material used in soil mixes. It is harvested from lower down and dried out.

I have used Sphagnum Peatmoss for rooting for about 30 years with great success. I usually pack the little plastic planters (72 to a tray) with wet peatmoss, poke a hole, use rooting compound and Glomus Intraradices powder and push into the hole and squeeze as described herein, then cover with a hood. I also got 95 to 100% rooting and did up to 6000 cuttings per period. (eg. over 5 to 10 days, depending on help).

I was directed to this thread from organic soil so I'll post a copy of this over there so people can see they are two different products.

I'll have to try the Shagnum moss sometime, even though it scares me. :)

Don't be scared....it works very well.

surejam123

OK, here we go again. Cloning that many is a mission, beer in hand, here are the results of the previous clone runs using sphagnum moss.

PREVIOUS RUN, 62 CLONES ABOUT TO GO IN WARM WATER CLONER

View Image

3 WEEKS LATER ALL CLONES RAPIDLY DEVELOPING

View Image

100% STRIKE RATE, 62 HEALTHY CLONES

View Image

BENEATH THE TRAY, ROOTS

View Image

4 WEEKS, THE CLONES ARE ON VEG NUTES, EC 1.0, 430W HPS, 18/6, THEY ARE VERY HEALTHY

View Image

I LEVER THEM OUT WITH THE DIBBLE STICK

View Image

NICE ROOT SYSTEM

View Image

VERY HEALTHY ROOT SYSTEM

View Image

CLONES AND ATTACHED SPHAGNUM MOSS STRAIGHT INTO A HYDROTON FILLED EBB/FLOW TRAY AT 4 PER SQ/ FT

View Image

THRIVING

View Image

I need a break, that was a busy few hours, and one more for the hell of it just to get you thinking.

I MANAGED TO GET A FAN LEAF OFF A PLANT 7 WEEKS INTO FLOWER TO PUT OUT ROOTS

View Image

View Image

WTF!
Might not have died if the leaf was trimmed ??