What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Final Steps - The Flushing ,Trimming, and Drying Processes

waster

nice thread.

I do it a little different, I think my method is a bit quicker and cleaner.

I cut, the top bud, then individual branches. I make horizontal cuts through the main stem, so that each branch has a short length of stem, which makes a handy hook to hang it by, I use horizontal lengths of string, clothes line style, no need for wire ties etc. I would always hang rather than dry on trays, you get optimum airflow, and the buds don't end up flat on one side.

As I cut each branch, I pull off all the fan leaves by hand, basically any leaves that are non-frosty, they go in the compost bin.

I don't do any further trimming at this point, just hang the branches up for a few days, until the bud is firm to squeeze, but not too crispy.

Then I do the final trim. It's much easier when the bud is dry, you can see what you're doing, the leaf is easier to cut, and you end up with a lot less resin/leaf material on your hands/scissors.
I try and rub as much resin off my hands as possible, and roll it up in a ball - this makes a tasty little stash - then get the rest off with iso alcohol.

bud then goes into bags overnight, open next day, if it has softened then leave bag open until its dry, then close bag. repeat until the bud is still dry when you open next day, then it's ready for curing. :yummy:

teddybud

spreadin da love
Veteran
thanks for this post man.. i'm about 10 or so days away from when I need to get ready to harvest.. and this cleared it up a bit. hehe.

Slaythe

What % humudity do you guys let your weed dry upside down ? My buds seems to dry way too quick (3-4 days).

fireman

haha thats a great fact to know i will be sure to remember that come my next harvest. i jsut read your method and will definitely utilize some of it especially the paper bag part which i did not do alst time and i could feel that extra moisture in my buds. thanks for the tips

G

Great Thread... Ive been using grocery bags and jars for years. Its fool proof. I cut the stalks, trim the waterleaves and and give them a haircut leaving most of the leaves at the top still intact. next..
I hang them on a clothesline until they start to feel a little crisp but still soft (3-4 days) then cut the buds off the stems and into grocery bags. I leave the grocery bags in a dark place and open them everyday, stir things a bit, reclose. After about 5 days the stems should be snapping. I then goto jars, opening and closing them every day. Once completely dry, the jars stay sealed until I smoke it... WoOT!

^^^^ Bump this thread!

Last edited:
This is very similar to the thread that was on OG in the FAQ for drying/curing. Great work though. I think you could probably re-write it and only leave in the important stuff to condense it some and maybe do some pictures. I'd be happy to help if your interested as I just started hang drying 2 days ago.

THCAESAR said:
...Also if you let your plant hang for too long with the foliage still on it, you may notice that your buds take on a sort of freshly mowed grass odor, which is obviously less desirable than the scent of spicy fruit or skunks ass or whatever your flavor is actually bred to produce.

I can second this. I chopped on thursday night and today is monday evening. I didn't trim close enough to the branches and left too much foliage on. I now have a delicious mowed lawn clipping smell. Like a warm summer after mowing the lawn in sandals. Make sure to trim them close. :pointlaug

~DP

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Thats why I love this time of the year where I dry in my cool room. 55f and 65%rh. Too cold for mold and the dry is real slow with everything still on the branch but neatly trimmed.

Latest posts

Latest posts