Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > re-charging last years soil?

Thread Title Search
re-charging last years soil? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 AM #11
Sticky Sat

Sticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to beholdSticky Sat is a splendid one to behold
Rebuilding life with different compost teas would be my option. Other than that, I'm not sure if it still exists (it was in 2005) but I remember being totally amazed by the miracle a stuff called Soil Builder used to do for a soil used continuously 5 years in a row in a friend's indoor grow.
He would harvest the plants, pour some (mixed with water) around the stumps, and a week after you could pull out the left over stem with only 2 fingers cause all roots were like digested by the stuff. It was mostly leonardite, humic + fulvic acids. He used to transplant in the same pots and soil about 2 weeks after the former harvest and had great results until he was busted and barely escaped to another country... It wasn't cheap but it's a totally organic stuff and I'm sure it would be even better to help recharge soils for outdoor or greenhouses grows. If it doesn't exists anymore, it should be possible to find and reproduce the formula. I'd never seen anything like this and didn't even imagine it could exist...
Sticky Sat is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:32 PM #12
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond repute
I've been parking my outdoor summer grow containers in the driveway and dumping all my food waste on top of the soil, mostly coffee grounds and banana peels.

The containers had redworms in them to begin with.

When I examined the containers last week, it was wall to wall redworms.

Re-using that soil is "Part 1".

Part 2 is mixing in forest humus I dug up during the winter. LOADED with termite and carpenter ant castings.

Part 3 would be the usual supplementation with NPK supplements, like bone meal, wood ash, and steer manure.

Part 4 is the guano tea they get, high-P seabird or bat guano (and sometimes chicken manure in solution), during afternoon waterings.

Anyway, it's kind of a slow motion re-charging, but it works.
St. Phatty is online now Quote

Old 05-24-2018, 01:18 PM #13
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud of
I have been using Leonardite and Icelandic kelp for amendments. Reusing last season's soil, the plants are loving it. Peace
farmerlion is offline Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 07:48 AM #14
clearheaded

clearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the rough
at my local seed and feed they carry greenhouse sized ammendments find a place like that i live in a small city so if live somewhere large shouldnt be an issue. they have 25kg bags of organic nutrients.. comes in green bags bio fert or something. anyway has a balanced 1005 organic omri formula which is great for a base. 4;3;5 or something along those lines. leondorite feathermeal bat guano bone meal pelletized. although best thing to do is get those cheapo tester caps. see what the soil needs and ammend from there. but as a base and ease of use 1 bag 46 bucks cant buy bone meal for much cheaper then that.

big believer in shrimp compost chitosan plus 50% more npk then sheep manure.

get large bags of diatomacious earth used for horses. may help keep some bugs out and adds few micros and silica if u are a beleiver. RAW sells small bags of silica but its just diatomacious earth 25kg bags are cheap.

alfalpha pellets are good. if can find organic prob wise. micros aminos organic material and of course alot of N.

horses are fed kelp meal aswell cheap source. slightly more salt perhaps then liguid formulas but think benefits outweigh any issue there. actual plant will def have more enzymes and promote beneficials. folks use kelp straight off the beach so should be fine.

health food stores sell bags of micronized kelp aswell, good for heavy sprayers that can handle littel grit.

coco coir is a great amendment hope people move away from peat. just think about the trucks that move bulky peat from the northern tundra to cali every year. and it basically like burning coal as far as adding more carbon back to carbon cycle from being sequestered. and most places /greenhouses use once and burn.
clearheaded is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:27 AM #15
Stickybred420

Stickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really nice
^^^good call.

its important to score garden amendmants cheap when you can. no harm buying in bulk. it will get used eventually
Stickybred420 is offline Quote

Old 06-01-2018, 07:44 PM #16
Mountain Sprout

Mountain Sprout is a jewel in the roughMountain Sprout is a jewel in the roughMountain Sprout is a jewel in the roughMountain Sprout is a jewel in the roughMountain Sprout is a jewel in the roughMountain Sprout is a jewel in the roughMountain Sprout is a jewel in the roughMountain Sprout is a jewel in the rough
I know it’s too late for this year but if you want a program that works great and is replicable year after year, check out Michael Astera’s “The Ideal Soil “. He explains how to take a basic soil test and come up for a recipe of amendments to balance the minerals. It’s great because it uses Albrect ratios, you add only what you need and you have virtually 0 mold at harvest even when neighbors lose 10%+ to mold. It cost me $500 for chicken manure and about $100 for minerals to amend 200 yards
Mountain Sprout is offline Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 06:12 PM #17
Mengsk

Mengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really nice
Green trees is $43 a gallon dry geez how spoiled what a time to be alive eh. And what St. Phatty and clearheaded said.
Mengsk is offline Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 PM #18
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud of
I think I'm going to all 45 gallon grow bags next season. I will have to buy some new soil to make up the difference. I will re use my existing soil a third year. Plants are doing great so far.
Peace
farmerlion is offline Quote