What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Repaying one's debts of gratitude*
is the very spirit of our Buddhist practice.
A heart full of appreciation and gratitude
is what makes us strong.
Let's adorn February -- the traditional month for our dynamic
development in introducing others to this practice --
with a renewed fresh spirit!

Daisaku Ikeda

* Gosho, (On Repaying Debts of Gratitude - WND1, page 690), "What can we say, then, of persons who are devoting themselves to Buddhism? Surely they should not forget the debts of gratitude they owe to their parents, their teachers, and their country. But if one intends to repay these great debts of gratitude, one can hope to do so only if one learns and masters Buddhism, becoming a person of wisdom."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Daishonin says:

"'Make no mistake. If you abandon your faith in the Lotus Sutra now, you will only make yourself the laughing-stock of your foes. Shamelessly pretending friendship, they will try to maneuver you into recanting, with the intention of later laughing at you and letting others ridicule you as well. Let them say all they have to say. Then tell them, “Instead of advising me in the presence of many people, why don’t you admonish yourselves first?” With this remark, abruptly rise from your seat and depart.' (WND-1, 801)

"The Daishonin consistently urges Tokimitsu to speak out bravely for his beliefs, to be mentally prepared, and not to be afraid. Telling him to the effect: 'Clearly and boldly refute falsehoods! Now is the crucial time! Fulfill your vow!'

"In this way, the Daishonin outlines the spirit that all of his youthful followers should embody. It is none other than the fighting spirit of our ever-youthful SGI. The essence of dialogue is courage and dynamism. The only way to vanquish devilish functions is with a mighty lion’s roar. He indicates, therefore, that youth need to face up to powerful opponents and challenge difficulties. A powerful opponent makes us strong, and difficulties represent opportunities for doing our human revolution."

SGI Newsletter No. 8713, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory. [44] “The Workings of Brahma and Shakra,” Fostering Youth of Genuine Commitment Who Can Change History, translated 7th Feb. 2013, from the September 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Volume 1, page 283) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, February 13th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Whatever trouble occurs, regard it as no more than a dream, and think only of the Lotus Sutra."

(Letter to the Brothers - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Volume 1, page 502) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, November 23rd, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If in a single moment of life we exhaust the pains and trials of millions of kalpas, then instant after instant there will arise in us the three Buddha bodies with which we are eternally endowed. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is just such a 'diligent' practice."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 790, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 214) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, February 6th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It’s important to remember that you don’t have to struggle with problems all by yourself.... You aren’t alone. Don’t close yourself off and allow your problems to overwhelm you. Nothing is insurmountable! Keep your head high and stay confident, pressing forward with fortitude and optimism."

SGI Newsletter No. 8705, Encouragement for Soka Educators. (1) Creating a New Age of Education Where Teacher and Student Grow Together—Part 3 [of 3],from the 3rd Feb., 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated 18th Jan, 2013

CrazyDog

Veteran
When we encourage our young people,
let's encourage them like a warm spring breeze.
It's very important that we genuinely believe,
"This person will become a far greater individual than I am,"
and at the same time sincerely respect them.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Therefore, those who become Nichiren's disciples and lay believers should realize the profound karmic relationship they share with him and spread the Lotus Sutra as he does."

(Letter to Jakunichi-bo - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 903) Selection source: Buddhist study for new members, Seikyo Shimbun, January 27th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Even if you don’t achieve the results you’d hoped for, the efforts you are making are undoubtedly contributing to your growth and development.

"...A person who is always ready and eager to learn creates a life of infinite possibility.

"...Success is a matter of perseverance. It’s important to make a real effort, to try your hardest. You can’t expect results in a day. Keeping at it is what matters."

SGI Newsletter No. 8709, Dialogue for the Future: Traveling the Path of Victory Together with You, A dialogue series addressing members of the junior high school division and high school division. [5] Those Who Continue Learning Are Victors in Life, from the 1st Sep., 2012, issue of the Mirai [Future] Journal, the Soka Gakkai monthly newspaper for the junior high school and senior high school divisions, translated 24th Jan. 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is through interacting with other people
that our lives are stimulated, energised and enpowered.
Let's, therefore, cherish every person
who we come in contact with
with the utmost of care and concern.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In this chapter Shakyamuni Buddha revealed the foremost point he wished to convey to us. ... It is in the passage that reads, 'Therefore, Universal Worthy, if you see a person who accepts and upholds this sutra, you should rise and greet him from afar, showing him the same respect you would a Buddha'"

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 781, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 192) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, February 17th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is the way of the world that whether one is wise or foolish, old or young, one never knows what will happen to one from one moment to the next. Therefore I should first of all learn about death, and then about other things."

(The Importance of the Moment of Death - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 2, page 759) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, February 16th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When one is enthusiastically committed to working for the welfare of others, for society, and for Buddhism, the brilliant light of hope colours the future."

SGI Newsletter No. 8719, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 26: Chap. 1, Atsuta 53, translated 15th Feb. 2013

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You, my dear friends who are struggling to look for employment
on the battlefield of severe financial conditions,
no matter what, never be defeated, never give in!
With sincerity and perseverance
we can all open up a victorious path towards our respective missions in life!

Daisaku Ikeda

That is the truth there T, I dont chant everyday but I know that when I need to I can anytime I want. It helps me alot and hoping things get better for the babbas now :)

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Internet account was down for a bit ... so glad to be back !!

Nam myoho renge kyo
Like the roar of the lion !!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
... so glad to be back !!

Nam myoho renge kyo
Like the roar of the lion !!

Not more glad than us Brother! Mrs. B! I'm beginning a campaign right now to start chanting that you want to chant more than you have been! Let me know how effective my prayer is!

This thread would not exist without you two!!!

That is a fact. :tiphat:

Bowing in humble obeisance!!!

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Former South African president Nelson Mandela, a dear friend and great human rights champion, values this important lesson he learned in his youth: 'Don’t run away from your problems; face them! Because if you don’t deal with them, they will always be with you. Deal with a problem which arises; face it courageously.'"[1]

SGI Newsletter No. 8720. SGI President Ikeda’s Editorial - My Young Friends, Be Confident and Positive! Translated 18th Feb. 2013 from the March 2013 issue of Daibyakurenge.

[1] Nelson Mandela, Conversations with Myself (New York: Macmillan, 2010), p. 24.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"There can be no question that through this act the truly excellent medicine of the Wonderful Law is being applied in order to cure the grave illness of darkness that afflicts all living beings."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 720, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 41) Selection source: The New Human Revolution, Brave Generals -6, Seikyo Shimbun, February 19th, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is the nature of beasts to threaten the weak and fear the strong."

(Letter from Sado - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 302) Selection source: President Ikeda's New Year encouragement, Seikyo Shimbun, January 1st, 2013

Latest posts

Latest posts