What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quantity or well taken care of for sucessful harvest?

Satoshimotonz

Is it better to grow many plants left to its own or less plants 5-10x less guerilla to get a successful harvest? Using regular seeds non fem

Quantity should increase odds of one crop succeeding at a lower percentage per plant put out but taken care of should increase odds iof one crop succeeding.

Whats your personal strategy to get successful harvest

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Less plants of higher quality would be way more desirable.

There is more than enough garbage floating around.

Grow like you're going to consume it all by yourself! (I hope you care about that which you consume.)

oldbootz

Veteran
Doing a good guerrilla is about using the right kind of genetics. Plants that are proven to work in your climate outdoors is a start. Plants proven to be resistant to pests or disease common in your area is wise.

Respecting the space between the plants is good if you will not be around to make sure there is no rot happening. Providing them with a hole dug and some prepared soil for each plant will make sure that they are strong enough when they reach the bottom of the hole to punch into the real soil. Hard clays are not good.

Easy7

Veteran
Do your best. Usually it's a small difference. So if it comes down to a plant that yields poorly yet is a little danker, verses something slightly less dank that keeps ya stocked.

Rondon

I dont know why alot.of growers think it a one or the other choice..indoors or out. Some think that bigger operations always take a hit on quality when thats just not necessarily true. Iam not a bigger operator or grower by any stretch but my outdoors and home basement systems arent a couple of plants either. About as much as a husband and wife can handle. And ive seen big outdoor farms and small warehouses packed full. And lemme tell ya...quality is there no doubt about it. It all starts with genetics and what you do with em.

Easy7

Veteran
Yield and quality go hand and hand. Some years however, weather will be against the crop.

There are lot's of additives to make good soil without hauling in tons of peat. It can take years to prep a spot. Rather take some time and do a good job, then get busted doing a bad job. Fall soil prep is a good idea. Work some gypsum and other goodies into the native earth. I've made clay soil very usable with gypsum.

Betterhaff

Veteran
It depends on what you have to work with and where you have to grow. Being able to tend and nurture less plants is nice but sometimes not possible. Sometimes you have to get things up and running and then let them go, ie set ‘em and forget ‘em, and more plants may be necessary.

Either way it can be a lot of work to achieve quality and yield, you can be fighting many obstacles (pests, weather, foragers, rippers, etc). I do like to prep holes and that may require hauling in amendments. I’m fortunate because I live in an area that has pretty rich soil and beneficial insects. Each situation is different.

One important thing to try and do is to have numerous locations to plant. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket so to speak just in case something happens. If something does, at least you’ve spread the risk and other plots may yield a harvest.

oldhaole

Veteran
Commarade Stalin Said it Best.......

Commarade Stalin Said it Best.......

"Quantity has a quality all it's own.

Back in my younger days, growing in the canefields, we asked his very question. The answer was to plant many more than needed, then cull heavily when they show sex. We would put three or four plants per hole with the end goal of just one dominant female.

We would visit only twice during the summer to remove males. Our time was better spent planting more patches.

At harvest we had many different grades of product. Some strains did better grown in different places. We kept the best and sold the rest.

Keep in mind this was many years ago.

therevverend

Veteran
Quality creates quantity. With Guerrilla patches planning and setup are everything. Put the time in so you only have to visit 3 or 4 times unless you are in a dry area.
More floral clusters are ruined by poor handling after harvest then any other way. Doesn't matter how much you grow if you can't safely harvest and dry without losing half the harvest to mold and neglect. Squishing and mashing buds, rubbing off all the resin, knocking the resin off with poor trim techniques, not enough or too much ventilation, too high drying temps, panicking and cutting things down too early, I could go on and on.

Satoshimotonz

Thanks everyone. I was just curios as smaller quantities i can take care of well water them hide better proper soil cages also higher yield etc but quantity would mean that even if some fail due to circumstances theres numbers to back it up.

Whats your average success rates/yields for harvest using plant and forget or well taken care of.

ronbo51

Veteran
1/4 inch hardware cloth around the stem of freshly planted starts. 1 inch chicken wire around the entire plant for the first month or so. Absolutely no fancy organic animal product fertilizers, like bone or blood or fish. If you are in a bad state try and do all your prep this winter after all hunting seasons are over. By the time planting season comes you pop in the starts and leave without making a path. If you plan on visiting the sites disguise your pathways with careful foot placement and or carefully weaving the undergrowth to hide paths. I always trained my plants to get horizontal and stay the same height as the local brush and pulled rasberries and blackberry branches into the plant to blend in to the environment. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest posts