What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Direct Sublingual Delivery using Decarboxylated Cannabis

Chawailia

Inhaling and/or vaping is no longer an option for me because of COPD. I have been researching various delivery systems and I think I am ready to try direct sublingual dosing with decarbed cannabis. I am awaiting delivery of my Nova Decarboxylator so I can start experimenting. I have my SnusX Empty Portion Bags ready for filling. Is there anyone who has experience with this method of dosing who can share tips?
Thanks ~ Chawailia :tiphat:

BudToaster

Veteran
i have a Nova and get great results with decarboxylated cannabis. i use 8 gram of cannabis to 4 oz of everclear. Two minute wash and filter into a pyrex pie pan. It takes about 24 hours for this much everclear to evaporate on the kitchen counter.

i scrape 50mg of the dried solution at a time onto 1" squares of parchment paper, fold in half, and put in the freezer. i call these "dabs". i got a digital scale from Amazon to be more consistent with dosage.

i tried sublingual, but it sticks to the back of the "appliance" in my bottom row of teeth (i.e. false teeth). so i just swallow the dab with a bit of butter on a cracker or piece of bread. takes about 45 minutes to notice the high. from my reading, the butter sneaks the cannabis past the liver.

i decarboxylate first, then dump the everclear into the Nova's container with the cannabis and stir for the two minutes.

fool proof and works well. just need more herb.

i use a vaporizer - picture in avatar and in my photo album. i had asthma/COPD and was consigned (by Johns Hopkins Hospital, no less) to a lifetime of asthma meds. after a year of this i had had enough and quit the meds. as it turns out i don't need them, i must be cured. it's a miracle!

i do aerobics almost every day for 35 years. couldn't workout with the meds so they had to go. i learned to breathe out more than i breathe in and that works for me.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day C

Making lollies is a tech worth exploring .
Sugar can be absorbed in the mouth . Attaching the Meds to sugars quickens the uptake .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Chawailia

Video on How to Make a Snus

Video on How to Make a Snus

https://youtu.be/IDEFepWB1Y0 Going to substitute cannabis in place of the tobacco. My Nova decarb machine is supposed to ship on 10/30/2017. Pacing the floor in anticipation. Anyone using direct sublingual delivery??? Would love to hear from you. :canabis:
Chawailia :tiphat:

Chawailia

"i tried sublingual, but it sticks to the back of the "appliance" in my bottom row of teeth "
Maybe if you packed your decarbed herb into a snus pocket and then placed under your tongue you would not get the herb stuck on your "appliance". Here is a video showing you how to make a snus out of tobacco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDEFepWB1Y0

Thank you for your detailed reply. If my snus method does not work, I definitely will try your method.
Chawailia :tiphat

Farm Hero

I like adding DMSO to my potent tinctures, seems like it hits you differently, a moment of clarity..... as we say.

Folks add MSM (methylsufonylmethane) to capsules of decarbed oil for better absorption rather than lecithin as well. MSM is just organic sulfur and considered harmless.

I've taken a large scoop of MSM with water 10 or 15 minutes before eating coconut oil drenched flowers and had much better results than just eating the same flowers and coconut oil alone.

If you are not familiar with MSM, it is sort of the internal version of DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide). When MSM reacts with your stomach acid it turns into DMSO as I understand it.

DMSO scares some people but it really is a miracle. DMSO penetrates the body like nothing else and has the ability to bring medicine with it. DMSO and cannabis oil are an amazing pair for pain. A DMSO/cannabis oil mixture has been used to make natural pain patches.

If you want your oil to be absorbed topically use DMSO. For better absorption internally use MSM. Though I have drank 99% DMSO on several occasions and I see no problems with it. It seems way less harmful than taking a swig of whiskey!

Anyway, here is a bit more info on DMSO and a wonderful recipe for a homemade pain rub:

On a late fall day in 1964, Virginia Larson was hit by a speeding car in her hometown of Wheaton, Ill. She spent the next three years in a wheelchair and 17 years in constant, debilitating pain. She was utterly dependent on painkillers, and yet still was in such agony that she cried in her sleep. Her physicians assured her it would only get worse. Then last July 23 she visited the Portland, Oreg. clinic of Dr. Stanley Jacob. There she received injections and topical applications of a controversial drug known as DMSO. Now, at 47, the pain is all but gone. "If the house caught fire," she says, "I'd say, 'Forget the jewelry—just get my DMSO.' "

Jim Courtney, 41, drove a semi for a living until his highway accident in February 1976. It left him in pain so enveloping he toyed with suicide. "You just get so tired of hurting you don't give a damn what happens," he says. "I found myself popping Percodan like it was going out of style. One day I picked up my gun and started playing Russian roulette." He survived, but it wasn't until his first experience with DMSO in January 1979, Courtney says, that he began to live again. "Because of DMSO," he says, "I believe in miracles."

It tastes like a bad oyster, smells like garlic on the breath and leaves the scent of rotten cabbages in the air. A byproduct of wood chips during the manufacture of plain brown paper, it costs a few cents an ounce to produce and it is used full-strength as an industrial solvent. Selling it as a medical treatment (except for one bladder disorder, interstitial cystitis) is illegal in all but three of the 50 states. But DMSO—dimethyl sulfoxide—is attracting increasing numbers of believers among the millions of Americans who suffer from arthritis, bursitis, tendinitis and a formidable number of other maladies. In the process, it has rapidly become one of the hottest black-market drugs since marijuana. But getting high is about the only thing DMSO isn't used for.

Adherents claim it has cured headaches and toothaches, fought off infections, cleared up frostbite, varicose veins and acne. Its more fanatic boosters claim it can cure baldness, mental retardation, psychoses and cancer. The Food and Drug Administration, which has known about people using DMSO for nearly 20 years, outlawed it in 1965 when it was found to cause eye damage in laboratory animals. The agency's voluminous statements on the subject since then boil down to this: There are no tests sufficient to prove the claims of its supporters. Therefore, pending FDA approval, the National Arthritis Foundation reserves judgment on DMSO and cautions about "sensational testimonials, unscrupulous promoters and unsafe products." They warn that some users are buying forms of DMSO that are too strong for use on humans and can cause rashes and burns. The foundation's biggest worry is that patients who opt for DMSO will neglect proven forms of treatment.

But surgeon Stanley Jacob, 57, sometimes called "the Father of DMSO," has treated tens of thousands of patients at his office at the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center in Portland—and now sees more than 200 a week. Some are victims of paralysis who come for injections of DMSO in the spine. "None of those patients has run a four-minute mile," he reported, "but some have shown improvement." He claims results with a wide range of muscular conditions, burns and spinal cord injuries. "DMSO has the largest potential number of uses ever documented for a single chemical," Jacob has said. "There's nothing like it."

Jacob's practice is the tip of an iceberg. Millions of Americans are using DMSO on their own, and a far-flung network of retailers is springing up to serve them. Carpet stores, ice cream parlors, even dry cleaners have turned to selling DMSO as a sideline. Except in Louisiana, Oregon and Florida, where legislators have legalized medical uses of the drug, its new promoters skirt the issue adeptly. In San Francisco a sign behind the counter in one surplus store warns clerks, "We are not allowed to say DMSO cures arthritis. Say it is a solvent."

Despite such constraints, business is booming. Dallas-Fort Worth dealers are selling DMSO from tailgates at ad hoc roadside stands. In Florida some two dozen establishments are offering vacation package deals for DMSO treatments, including room and board. Marty Friedman, who operates a hobby store in Thousand Oaks, Calif., first ordered a batch of DMSO for a customer last March. A few weeks later Dr. Jacob appeared on 60 Minutes with some of his patients. Their testimony impressed even the usually skeptical Mike Wallace (and reportedly prompted CBS chieftain Bill Paley to see Jacob). Jacob's hospital had to hire a dozen extra operators to handle the calls—and DMSO suppliers like Marty were deluged overnight with business. When Friedman ran out of bottles, he recalls, patrons brought their own mayonnaise jars. When he ran out of DMSO, they scalped the stuff outside his store. Solvent Sales Inc. of Seattle takes thousands of orders a week by phone. The bottles come with an offer to customers to become local distributors of the product, and company president Billy Williams says they're signing up. "I know what we're selling it for," he says coyly. "We're selling it for a profit."

By far the biggest U.S. producer is Crown Zellerbach Corp., a giant paper company headquartered in San Francisco. Crown reportedly produces a million gallons of the stuff every year. Less than 10 percent is earmarked for medicinal use, and a spokesman explains that the company cannot be responsible for how the substance is used after it leaves the plant.

For all the money being made by the producers and middlemen of DMSO, the question of how effective it is remains unanswered more than 100 years after its discovery. First isolated by a Russian scientist in 1866, DMSO was only a laboratory curiosity until a Crown Zellerbach chemist, Robert Herschler, began experimenting with it in the early '60s. Jacob got interested a year later because DMSO's ability to act as a human antifreeze—preventing cells from rupturing when frozen—had applications in the kidney transplant research he was doing at the time. By the time of the FDA ban in 1965 some 100,000 Americans had tried the stuff—and 1,500 doctors had tested it. Americans continued using DMSO in spite of the ban. Some bought it in other countries, others obtained it from sympathetic veterinarians, who have used it legally for years. Some physicians openly flouted the law. Richard Bachrach, a New York osteopath, used to supply it to his patients. "It's so widespread," he claims, "there's not a professional sports team or dance company that doesn't use it."

Efforts to get FDA approval, however, have been unavailing. Though the research literature on DMSO is already considerable, many of the favorable studies have been criticized and their results discounted. The FDA points out that because of the drug's strong odor it is impossible to administer conclusive "double-blind" studies—tests in which the researchers do not know which subjects have been given DMSO and which have been given a placebo. The FDA does not test substances itself, moreover; it must rely on others—and others besides Jacob have been hard to find. Crown Zellerbach says it favors FDA approval for DMSO, and it invites "some major pharmaceutical company to follow the FDA procedures to achieve that goal." But the nation's drug companies are understandably reluctant to undertake costly testing that would benefit only Crown, which holds patents on the use of DMSO as a painkiller. Furthermore, DMSO would be a cheap substitute for some of their most lucrative products. Except among consumers, there seems little economic incentive to bring DMSO up from underground. The going rate—$20 and up for an eight-ounce bottle—suggests that between the time it leaves Crown and the time it reaches the consumer it is generating a 1,000 percent profit.

The FDA says it is still waiting for adequate tests, but critics of the agency claim it will never be legalized because of political pressure from drug companies. Says Bachrach: "It's disgraceful. Clearly, there's been ample time for study." The co-discoverer, Herschler, now no longer with Crown, agrees: "The FDA is far more interested in rules and regulations than health and welfare. I hold them responsible for every death and mutilation that might not have happened if DMSO were freely available." Last year Jacob tried taking his case to the public. ("Americans," he declared, "are getting shafted.") But then he began refusing interviews, fearing that his high profile has antagonized the FDA.

There is some sign that legalization may be coming. A bill to require the National Institutes of Health to test DMSO died in the current lame-duck Congress. But Oregon Sen. Robert Packwood recently contacted FDA Director Jere Goyen on the problem and promises to keep pushing. "I am tired of the FDA dragging its feet," he says. "I told him he ought to make a decision on the merits of the drug, instead of harassing Jacob."

The 18-year struggle with the FDA and the scientific community over DMSO has taken its toll on Dr. Jacob. The father of five children, now 3½ to 29 years old, he attributes the failure of his three marriages in part to his "obsession" with the drug. He has been taking DMSO himself ever since 1963—"not for any medical problem but because if any side effects are going to develop, it's better that they raise their ugly head in my body than anyone else's." His interest in the drug's approval is, he says, purely altruistic: He will not get rich, because royalties on the patents he shares with Crown go to the university health center. Whether or not DMSO is legalized, Dr. Jacob expects to devote the rest of his working life to it. "I might spend a little more time with family," he says, "but my research interests wouldn't change. I couldn't begin to scratch the surface of DMSO's uses in the years remaining to me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannabis Oil, Magnesium and DMSO Cream for Pain

Both Magnesium Chloride and DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) have pain relieving properties plus DMSO acts as an anti-inflammatory. Cannabis is the best anti-inflammatory known to man, same reason the US government has a patent on it as such since the 1990s. Adding decarboxylized cannabis oil to the recipe makes it AMAZING for pain.

The recipe is pretty simple and makes about 1 cup of finished cream

Ingredients:

¼ cup decarboxylated cannabis-infused organic coconut oil

¼ cup saturated magnesium chloride solution (distilled or pure water mixed with Magnesium Chloride flakes)

¼ cup 99% DMSO (use a metal or glass measuring cup with the DMSO)

1 tablespoon of Watkins grape seed oil

Make the saturated magnesium chloride by adding distilled water to a jar filled about ¾ of the way with magnesium chloride flakes. Allow to sit for about an hour before use so that as much magnesium chloride as possible is dissolved. There should always be some solid magnesium chloride left on the bottom so you know that you have a saturated solution

Place the coconut cannabis oil in at least a 16 oz wide mouth jar (this avoids it going everywhere as you whip it) and place in the microwave on low until it is mostly melted. Remove from the microwave and allow it to sit until any remaining lumps have melted. This avoids getting the coconut cannabis oil any hotter then necessary and will allow the rub to set up faster.

Melted Coconut Cannabis Oil

Add the DMSO, grape seed oil and saturated magnesium chloride solution to the melted coconut cannabis oil, place the jar in a bowl of ice and water and start to whip it. I use a mini-whisk that I took the handle off of in an electric drill but you could also use a mixer.

Rub in Ice Bath, Whisk

Whip the mixture until you start to see what sort of looks like milk curds starting to form. The mixture should hold its shape at this point like soft serve ice cream. If you whip too long the mixture will start to separate again. If this does happen just warm it up and whip it again.

Finished Cream Rub

Place the finished pain cream in a glass jar (DMSO dissolves some plastics) and keep in a cool (not cold) place to store.

Apply to any sore joint or muscle and rub in well, you should start to feel relief in about 10 minutes. Avoid any open wounds as the magnesium will burn just like if you got salt in the wound.

Tips: Tractor Supply Store has MSM in large tubs in the horse section, 99% pure. Amazon had gallon jugs of 99% DMSO for under $40 last I checked. The best magnesium chloride is at Vitamin Shoppe 2.75 lbs of mag. chloride flakes from the anicent Zechstein seabeds for $20

cryptolab

G `day C

Making lollies is a tech worth exploring .
Sugar can be absorbed in the mouth . Attaching the Meds to sugars quickens the uptake .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
A+

Lollies. What a great idea!

I've got an idea to complement your idea.
My idea, comes with an introductory story:

During World War 2, the US Army gave bars of chocolate, to it's soldiers
as part of their food rations.
During the Vietnam war, the weather was too hot for 'regular' chocolate
so the army devised a recipe for chocolate that didn't melt at regular Vietnam
temperatures. How did they do this ?
Chocolate is made from cocoa powder, fat, milk and sugar.
Whether the chocolate melts, or not, depends on the melting temperature of the fat.
Vegetable fats tend to be mono- or poly- unsaturated and hence melt below room temperature. Animal fats tend to be saturated or mono-unsaturated and generally
melt at much higher temperatures. Which is why we cook using lard (a mono-unsaturated fat) and kidney fat (a saturated fat)

My complementary idea is: You could make 'high-temperature' chocolate,
or chocolate lollies, using either lard or (preferably) a saturated fat, like
kidney fat. It will dissolve slowly, just like a lolly.

Of-course the idea is to add your Hash/CBD oil to the saturated fat
when making the chocolate.

An alternative would be to go out and buy a bar of chocolate.
Break it up into pieces, add to a small bowl, and allow the chocy
to melt by placing the small bowl over a source of warmth/heat.
Then add your Hash/CBD oil.... stir well, then pour it out onto
a flat piece of aluminum foil... and then place in the fridge to solidify
Voila! (If you use 99% or 100% chocolate, it will taste very bitter,
and hence, you'll be less tempted to eat it too excess)

Those are my ideas. I hope you found them interesting or helpful :)

best wishes

cryptolab

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Crypto

I have extracted directly into chocolate before .
Small plant - whole thing heated up in cooking chocolate . Added a bit of gaurana to keep the party rockin . he he .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Chawailia

Results 1

Results 1

I got tired of waiting for my Nova. Expected ship date now 11/10. I decarbed a few buds at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes. Tried direct sublingual dosing AND just got a little buzzed.
I then chewed the sublingual dose with coconut oil. Will NEVER AGAIN take a dose without weighing out. Today I'm titrating with .045 G. of decarbed bud. BudToaster, I'm going to try your method of making dabs when I get my Nova. Thanks for sharing!

i have a Nova and get great results with decarboxylated cannabis. i use 8 gram of cannabis to 4 oz of everclear. Two minute wash and filter into a pyrex pie pan. It takes about 24 hours for this much everclear to evaporate on the kitchen counter.

i scrape 50mg of the dried solution at a time onto 1" squares of parchment paper, fold in half, and put in the freezer. i call these "dabs". i got a digital scale from Amazon to be more consistent with dosage.

i tried sublingual, but it sticks to the back of the "appliance" in my bottom row of teeth (i.e. false teeth). so i just swallow the dab with a bit of butter on a cracker or piece of bread. takes about 45 minutes to notice the high. from my reading, the butter sneaks the cannabis past the liver.

i decarboxylate first, then dump the everclear into the Nova's container with the cannabis and stir for the two minutes.

fool proof and works well. just need more herb.

i use a vaporizer - picture in avatar and in my photo album. i had asthma/COPD and was consigned (by Johns Hopkins Hospital, no less) to a lifetime of asthma meds. after a year of this i had had enough and quit the meds. as it turns out i don't need them, i must be cured. it's a miracle!

i do aerobics almost every day for 35 years. couldn't workout with the meds so they had to go. i learned to breathe out more than i breathe in and that works for me.

Chawailia

Hey EB,
Sounds trippy. Will have to give it a try after I titrate decarbed bud. I mixed with a little bit of Coconut Oil and just chew.

G `day Crypto

I have extracted directly into chocolate before .
Small plant - whole thing heated up in cooking chocolate . Added a bit of gaurana to keep the party rockin . he he .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

BudToaster

Veteran
@Chawailia - couple of points ... the best way to eat the butter/extraction mix is on a cookie - i'm partial to Pepperidge Farm.

also, the Nova does NOT dry the herb ... my stash is usually about 60% RH when it goes in the Nova. there is no exhaust from the Nova, so moisture can't escape.

don't use the silicone cap that fits over the inner container - stinks when it gets hot and transfers the odor to the herb - i suppose it could be heat treated to get rid of the odor, but i use a double aluminum cap instead. one is on the inner container, one is on the outer container, then the plastic cap goes on the top. This provides about a 1/2" air gap for insulation between the heated inner container and the outer container. maybe i should take some pictures if this is not clear once you get your Nova.

and, after the decarboxylation, the herb is very frangible, so dumping the everclear on top and mixing with the handle of a wooden spoon works really well.

i save the decarbed herb for a second wash at a later time, after i get about a cup of decarbed herb.

i don't try to remove the plant wax from the extract - i think that's why it tastes so funky ... best to swallow quickly, and not linger on the tongue.

if i ever get pounds of herb i intend to refine and perfect the technique. i'm thinking about making my own decarb device using only glass containers. i'm not a fan of plastic and aluminum. my vape provides all the control electronics i need - just a different setpoint temperature and run time.

sometimes the herb i get is fresh picked ... i got a nifty Peltier dehumidifier from Amazon/Prime, place in a cardboard box with herb on a screen, digital hygrometer to monitor conditions, and 2 oz is ready to jar in 2 days.

Last edited:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I use glycol as a carrier agent. I find 25ml of glycol mixed with 5ml of bud oil extract is absorbed well under the tongue. I prefer vaping the extract but some acquaintances cannot deal with smoke of any kind at all and the sprays or eating are the only choice.
Edibles are not the answer for me or for a few others, too much depends on time of day or previous meals.
DMSO is difficult to find in my area while the glycol is easy to find. Such details determine how I take my medicine.

Attachments

• Spritzer's now hold 5 grams oil per ounce, a single spray will do in the uninitiated.jpg
    Spritzer's now hold 5 grams oil per ounce, a single spray will do in the uninitiated.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 33
  • Alcohol solvent is USP and meets religious requirements as well.jpg
    Alcohol solvent is USP and meets religious requirements as well.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Latest posts