What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil, water, and tea questions

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.harrells.com/blog/sufficiency-level-of-available-nutrients

A little Google and I'm reminded of the large presence of aluminum in our soil. While studies suggest that it can be toxic at low levels and at a low pH, the question arises if aluminum is the only culprit with such a low pH.

It's the aluminum/silica bond that results in a negative charge in our soil. CEC is a measurement of this charge. How many positive cations can it attract. How much food will it hold? While aluminum is not required by the plant, it has it's place in the soil.

The other source of CEC comes from disassociation of acids from compost. Excess base saturation will interfere with this process.

Thanks Slownickle for the PGA tip. Obvious once I think about it. Their whole business is grass. Golf courses are often used for erosion control and quite often are placed in the worst soil available.
I was raised somewhat close to where their studies were done, with similar soil and I can't ever recall using any sort of liming product. I started reading Acres magazine and different articles where I felt like they were just salesmen pushing lime. I've joined in with the hoards from the forums in their never ending plight for dolomite. I was told I needed it.
How much calcium? Don't know. I add gypsum to peat until it gets a different color tone. If I add too much, it sets like plaster. Sort of. The soil gets hard and crusty.

Texture. That's where I believe ratios may come into play. Even then, I think you have multiple choices.

It doesn't take education, only intelligence. I prefer real life terms like "sticky" or "mucky".
"It has high CEC." You mean it's a sponge and it'll loosely hold nutrients where the plant can get to them as needed. It turns into an academic exercise of conflicting theories while we just really need to know enough to make an intelligent yes or no decision. Know enough to judge the experts. Most of the experts will tell you that they don't know anything.

It's all a swirl and you try to catch the bits and pieces as they move through your head. Intelligence is nothing but wee bits of confusion. "Zeolite" is a good metaphor. I have a zeolite head. High exchange capacity. Intelligence comes and goes.

I don't know if extra K or whatever is needed with a high CEC value. I like to precharge everything, especially with nitrogen. I know with biochar, it can rob nitrogen from the soil. I've been adding it at the end of my fermentations.

It doesn't show, but I did good in English 101. I would just write in the abstract. When folks can't figure out what you're saying and it sounds good, they think you're a genius All I did was to put all that confusion in my head on paper. It was up to the reader to find the true meaning. It would become their story, not mine. The truth comes out of confusion. It's a good sign.

Aluminum is available at all pH's. I have plenty of leaf analysis in high pH soils to prove it. Grapes, blueberries, citrus and asparagus in alkaline soils.

Has a lot to do with the balance of the other metals, especially Mn.

M

moose eater

Aluminum is available at all pH's. I have plenty of leaf analysis in high pH soils to prove it. Grapes, blueberries, citrus and asparagus in alkaline soils.

Is this why you'd written in the other thread that zeolite -can- (not will but can) become a negative issue? (*I thought I'd read that, anyway?).

What ratio or presence would you place on zeolite in soilless mix that will be used once, then sent to the raised beds and potato field? (*With the initial mix having a ph range of 6.0 to 7.0)

Thanks!!

h.h.

Veteran

Was there toxicity? I've known a lot of farmers raising grapes and citrus. My dad was an expert on alkaline desert soils. Aluminum was never a concern.
I can't find anything supporting it other than possible poor lab prototypical.

Sample contamination. Contamination of a plant sample with soil particles or pesticide residue can lead to erroneously high results for iron, aluminum, manganese, zinc, or copper. Washing the sample to remove contamination can introduce other contaminants if a detergent or tap water are used. Appreciable potassium can be lost by washing. These problems are discussed further in NCH-15.
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/nch/nch-46.html

Admittedly, I'm limited to what I find on Google and a few life experiences. I don't want to come across with expertise that I don't own and I mean no disrespect to yours. I value your opinion. It's just my job to question.

h.h.

Veteran
Is this why you'd written in the other thread that zeolite -can- (not will but can) become a negative issue? (*I thought I'd read that, anyway?).

What ratio or presence would you place on zeolite in soilless mix that will be used once, then sent to the raised beds and potato field? (*With the initial mix having a ph range of 6.0 to 7.0)

Thanks!!

Sourcing zeolite at a good price has been a little problematic. I wouldn't be using it if I was going to toss my soil, though I wouldn't mind having it in my garden,
I was considering pond size rock for the worm beds. I could easily screen them out and reuse them.
Like Doc said. "What would a farmer do?" You're trying to make money. Not spend it.
I did a lot of stone work. Some of our sourced stone was questionable where the guys would ask whether to use it or not. My standard answer was "if you have to ask, the answer is no." When in doubt, leave it out. You'll always question it if you don't. If you do use it, limit it to a few pots.
A sacrificial plant not only to access harm but as a cost assessment as well.
My personal view is that if agricultural zeolite was leaching excessive aluminum, it would have been reported. There are enough independent studies to have done so.

M

moose eater

Thanks, h.h.

When I tried the 2 links immediately above, ( https://www.ccmaknowledgebase.vic.gov..._Aluminium.htm & https://www.ccmaknowledgebase.vic.gov...ok/22_Lime.htm ) my relatively stout security system warns me of something trying to send encrypted stuff past my 'screen.' When I don't know what it is, I block the under-the-table material in a reflexive manner. Just habit from years of other efforts gone by.

My initial statement re. perception of your ca amounts from bone and gypsum was a brain fart. As stated in the edit in other words, it looks notably less than what I'm using right now, in terms of ratio/amount/presence.

I haven't checked the feed stores re. availability. If they bring zeolite up for their own store stock, via the barges into Anchorage or Valdez, or trucks via the ferry into Haines, on a 1 or 2 x's/year basis, then the shipping isn't necessarily too overwhelming, unless they want to jack it up for being a relatively exclusive item.

I can also sometimes get bulkier items sent 4th class/parcel post, retail, insurable and trackable for less than some other forms of freight, but I'm guessing 50 lbs is the limit there, and as with dolomite, it doesn't take much volume to hit that weight.

Thought about ph-ing the Ak Whitefish Bone Meal and trying a substitute using a majorioty of that in place of guanos or bone meal, for its calcium richness and the slightly higher, but in the ballpark, N, as well as moderately high, attractive P levels..

One of the questions I've had from others concerning thinking about going organic is the K question. I just tell them what I think I know; wood ash works but is potentially caustic (and fairly mobile/soluble, as well as notably alkaline), kelp and green sand run lower numbers in K and the micro-nutes (esp. in kelp) can become an issue. 0-0-50 on up to 0-0-62 in pot ash is stout stuff and has to be used sparingly, as well being more a natural/mineral than an organic. And langbeinite/Sul-Po-Mag runs high sulfur and magnesium, and can also cause problems when used in even moderate amounts.

In that regard, care-free sourcing of K is often a problem-child, after the rest of this is set..

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
I had the same response from the links after I posted them. I had no problems with the websites. Maybe because they're Australian.

A 2016 report;
[QUOTEConclusions

Our hydroponic experiments indicate that S. paniculata has the capacity to accumulate Al in its aboveground tissues. Al accumulation in this species appears to be facultative and the beneficial effect of Al on its growth is complicated by the different response to Al between seedlings and saplings. Variation in Al levels across different organs and tissues in S. paniculata is similar to tropical species within this genus, with the highest Al concentrations occurring in leaves and bark tissue.
][/quote]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5091896/

Higher accumulation in some species MAY be desirable.
I'm just not seeing a problem, especially with larger sizes.

Speaking of which, I found it in powder form. I'm not sure about the claims, but speaking of K, it was advertised as
Clinoptilolite Zeolite Powder - Great CEC Exchange - High Potassium and Calcium Along with Many More Minerals and Elements - Natural 85% Opaline Silica

Then a bit of research;
The results also suggest that potassium and ammoniumsaturated clinoptilolite can increase P solubility while providing K and NH4
to the soil, a concurrent positive effect
https://www.researchgate.net/public...mobilisation_and_potassium_:laughing:errosols

M

moose eater

Thanks.

As is common, I'm out of rep. Too many thoughtful or decent things posted, I respond to too many with a positive click, and I'm broke before the day's started. Such is life...

I'm headed back to bed for a bit, after having gotten up in the middle of the night to check humidity in the last of the drying flowers. I'll go to the link(s) that are available in the later part of the morning.

Thanks again.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was there toxicity? I've known a lot of farmers raising grapes and citrus. My dad was an expert on alkaline desert soils. Aluminum was never a concern.
I can't find anything supporting it other than possible poor lab prototypical.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/nch/nch-46.html

Admittedly, I'm limited to what I find on Google and a few life experiences. I don't want to come across with expertise that I don't own and I mean no disrespect to yours. I value your opinion. It's just my job to question.

Read the articles by Breazeale here. You must read a bit between the lines though and ask what if.. then there is the Australian article, Chemistry, Phytotoxicity and Remediation of Alkaline soils. Pretty straight forward.

On a personal note, once grapes get to about 400 ppm of Aluminum, they don't respond to anything... we just tear them out and replace them. In San Diego on avocado, we are seeing the same thing.

https://goo.gl/drwtMe

Last edited:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thanks!!

I have seen zeolite raise aluminum levels in crops dramatically in alkaline soils. It is nearly 13% Al. I wouldn't use it....

Using good seaweeds and using a rifle vs shotgun approach with micros, you will be much better off. I think one of the reasons folks see a positive response early on is due to the Ca content. Al toxicity doesn't show til you get some breakdown from biology, etc...

h.h.

Veteran
http://zmmcanadamineralscorp.com/ne...-energized-soils-enhance-cannabis-production/

Zeolite-Cannabis Study Concludes, Finding Energized Soils Enhance Cannabis Production

We are pleased to announce the completion of comparative analysis of all remaining data sets from Ashburton’s study of cannabis grown with zeolite from the Z-1 Zeolite Quarry near Cache Creek, BC. The study concludes that zeolite energizes soils with a negative electrical charge that activates nutrient uptake.
Results indicate that benefits of zeolite enrichment to overall marijuana harvested (7% average weight increase per plant) and total cannabinoid potency (110% average increase) is caused by superior nutrient uptake among plants grown with Z-1 Zeolite.
According to biologist Albert Kasprowicz, operations manager at the Salt Spring Island cannabis research facility, In plants grown without zeolite, higher levels of essential elements remained in the soil, not accessed by plant roots. However, in the zeolite and zeolite-carbon groups, the numbers tell a different story: nutrient levels drop rapidly in the soil following irrigation with dissolved ionic elements. Those disappeared nutrients then reappear in elevated concentrations in leaf tissue. We can associate zeolite and zeolite-carbon blends with improved transport of nutrients from soil to plant tissue, which in turn allows plants to metabolize more of the basic building blocks of marijuana. This explains the remarkable rise in marijuana quality and yields that we observed in our study.
Kasprowicz proposed that the mechanism of action improving nutrient transport involves zeolites negative electrical charge, which increases a soils cation exchange capacity, the ability of soil to pass positively-charged ionic nutrients into root tissue. Cannabis root hairs achieve nutrient transport by cation exchange, assisted by the process of active transport, whereby the organic chemical ATP (adenosine triphosphate) supplies energy for molecular pumps that pull ions across cell membranes. Z-1 Zeolite naturally contains exchangeable potassium ions, ensuring that plants are well-supplied with the element necessary to maximize the production of ATP and thus accelerate nutrient transport.
The effect is that zeolite first captures nutrients from fertilizers, and then creates a push-pull relationship with the plant roots to propel those elements into plant cells, Kasprowicz explained.
He continued, It is tremendously important to the marijuana cultivator that cannabis be grown in soils that promote nutrient uptake. Zeolites negative charge supplies energy for a nutrient-transport engine built right into the soil.
Ashburton is currently in discussions with a manufacturer of pre-mixed soils for the cannabis industry.
https://www.kmizeolite.com/ashburto...irms-success-in-decreasing-nutrient-leaching/

M

moose eater

Not to belabor an issue taking better shape, but during and after my napping was interrupted by the telephone, this occurred to me;

If used in a container garden for 3-4 months, then discarded into a larger outdoor garden, & thereby eventually distributed around a much greater volume of soil than it came from or was initially put into, the short-term bennies for the smaller aggregate containers may be realized with minimal risk (????), and once deposited into the larger gardens, the benefits reduced, but the negatives diluted by volume, too.

"Dilution is the solution to pollution..."

That, and an image of a red dog, trotting out our lengthy driveway, in my mind's eye, were the last two things I recall before consciousness took over.

Not so ironic was that the call was someone telling me the only zeolite they could get is in tiny, expensive canisters for refilling aquarium filters.

Any thoughts, other than my logic might improve with some more sleep?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It isn't available.

Out of the bag, unweathered, I agree.

Then stick it into an organic medium or soil with organic material and decent microbiology, top dressed with manures, etc.. and what about the availability then?

Looks like this stuff is made of silicates of everything, including Ca. If the Ca can become available, why won't the Al get picked by the interaction of the amino and organic acids emitted by good roots, not to mention the organic acids from all the organic amendments?

And you want me to pay for it too?

M

moose eater

What amount of time is estimated the Aluminum takes to become available in an organic soil, if it does become available?

That was what I was getting at with the container garden issue; if the aluminum is bound up for the period it takes the plants in pots to reach maturity, and doesn't become available until after it reaches the greater garden(s)(????), is it a win:win?

I'm perfectly willing to go either way with it, but the one link I re-posted, praising zeolite's benefits impressed me.

Not a chemist, geologist, or biologist, but curious about the above inquiry.

And both of you are allowing me to read and balance things in my own mind, though there are questions like this one that I wonder if they'd work out as I described.

M

moose eater

I've hitch-hiked and driven past/through Cache Creek MANY times over the years.. many; intersection of Trans Canada Hwy 1 and Hwy 97. Neat northern desert area in general. Now a giant truck stop to some degree.

The write-up above is yet another piece that seems overwhelmingly convincing.

As written before, I've used aluminum sulfate as an acidifier, but typically only for ornamentals. I -may- have used it sparingly one year in place of or in conjunction with iron sulfate &/or sulfur, the latter of which I found to be most forgiving when the gardens ODed.

As stated, my curiosity and interest is now peaked.

h.h.

Veteran
Out of the bag, unweathered, I agree.

Then stick it into an organic medium or soil with organic material and decent microbiology, top dressed with manures, etc.. and what about the availability then?

Looks like this stuff is made of silicates of everything, including Ca. If the Ca can become available, why won't the Al get picked by the interaction of the amino and organic acids emitted by good roots, not to mention the organic acids from all the organic amendments?

And you want me to pay for it too?
Buffer it...It takes a low pH to make it available.
It doesn't stay in the soil when it is soluble. Talk to the blue hydrangea people.
There's a lot of study out there by others besides Steve Solomon.