What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Herbalism

Satyros

Hello to the conventional side of things,

Suffice it to say that I am a fan of...well, basically everything you can grow on your own.

As per Fidel Castro, when his country was riddled with terrible sanctions: grow your own food.

Now, I haven't grown that much food, yet, but I am a fan of, as Hippocrates said: Let your medicine be food, and your food be medicine. Same thing.

I was...more or less forced to be removed from my prime land, which I think could have grown everything, to a 7b zone, where I have attempted to garden up some of the same stuff.

Now, I think cannabis blends in perfectly well to a traditional healer's garden, it's simply not European in its most potent forms.

For a couple years now, I have been trying to raise things like Valerian and Belladonna, sort of the witches' herbs, as they have medicinal properties, in addition to cannabis, which apparently does as well.

Personally, I don't have a particular "medical" need, the one thing that I find good as a tonic, that I would not grow on my own, and, subsequently, buy, is Gingko.

I think a *lot* of human medical needs, are quite simply answered by the right plants. I don't know that I have a "medical" need of cannabis, the closest I can come, is that, I have a compulsive smoking habit, which might be better answered by cannabis and perhaps blue lotus, damiana, if one wishes to inhale fumes habitually, without getting high each time.

But, I think, the plant kingdom as a whole, answers 90% of humanity's medical needs. 90% of anti-depressants are based on Valerian--but we'd rather hook you on the synthetics, right?

I don't see much--I see a *huge* aspect of (U.S.) cannabis ascribed to some medical purpose--but I don't see much that relates it to traditional healing herbs. Of which there are many. You name a symptom that *may* be treated by cannabis, and I bet I can find a leaf or root that does it more directly.

So, in my current/future aspects of cannabis growing, I see it as much more complimentary to herbs than food. My problem is sunburn.

As you know, cannabis loves ultraviolet radiation. Everything else I have burns, except cannabis. I have F1'd, or, that is, open-pollinated Valerian, giving me more seeds than I can even sow, but with a plant like that, we're not looking for variations or phenotypes or anything like that, they are all the same.

The term for a "medical" variety of anything is: Officinalis. So, Valerian, Calendula, or Hyssop, all we want is: Officinalis. Although there is a "medical cannabis", there is no "Cannabis Officinalis". Something is missing.

Consequentially, there is of course a huge divergencence in cannabis, from any "true type". But, it does host all of the same terpenes as found in pepper, turmeric, and many herbs.

Anyone else raise herbs, or have thoughts on the matter?