What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plantingplants' Flower Farm 2017

B

beanz

so , i must ask ...... which is the method you prefer so far , triple planting or singles ?

CrushnYuba

Planting plants: yes, i use 30ft in a 5 ft wide 300 gallon. It's the most uniform drip system i have used.

I'm not really sure what the point would be if it's just the outsides of the pots that are dry though. I thought you had dry spots between the emitters The mulch on the outside off the pot would probably be more affective.

So you going to give them some liquid n to the roots? I have never been one for soil tests. I bet if i did my soil would have to much of everything. I feed and If the plant looks hungry i feed allot more. Hasnt failed me yet. And i have never had lock out in any of the different soils i use that was not brought on by over watering. I mostly top dress but if my plants looked deficient, i would foliar AND liquid feed.
Don't drive yourself nuts. You are doing great. Just feed.

plantingplants

Gc i am just trying to neutralize alkalinity. 285 Ppm alk and 7.4 ph. Just worry about dropping too low. Sn said not to drop more than 1...

Shcrews, i use that all the time.. Slipped my mind somehow. Also can do-- intitle:eek:utdoors, if you only want results from the outdoors subforum

Beanz, overall I like triple planting better. If I really nailed my starts every time then I would single plant so yea I think with the right start you could do the same (my s1 single is bigger than many of the triple plants) but my odds personally are better triple planting. It's a hedge on the seed bet, whether I'm betting on genetics that have one or two undesirable phenos or f2s i've never seen before. Plus i get to see more variety. It also helped make up for some poorly reared clones. I would definitely be yielding less if not for tripling up.

Crushn, thanks for the encouragement! i tested my sap nitrate and they are in the money so it is somethin else. Theyre good on N. What it is idk but i believe it has to do with my high pH. Theyre also P deficient but the soil has plenty, so pH again. I at least need to foliar P. That said, i actually have been curious about the 'dump the nutes on' approach. I will test a plant.. Ill feed it a hefty dose of salts and see what happens. Just read about some other guy pulling 10#ers feeding super high doses of Miracle Gro every water lol. Just hydro at that point i guess but whatever works. I like it easier. And cheaper.

HHILL, thanks!!

Dankwolf

I am a fuck the charts give them what they need typ of guy so take or not.

I am a fuck the charts give them what they need typ of guy so take or not.

I hit my girls hard with earth jucie micro foiler sprays at twice the recommend dose once a week for the first two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August to green them up. Along with a good soil drench Once a week of solubel earth juice grow (2-1-1) the last two weeks of July for stretch and as needed till end of August strain depending.hope it help:tiphat::comfort:

I think I am doing ok.

CrushnYuba

I think the testing is cool. I have never done it. I had no idea you could do sap tests. That's super rad. Where do you get it done? Is that like plant tissue? What duo you Just cut off a little shoot or something? I'm really curious what my readings would be.
I think the dump it on approach works best with organic bulk amendments, but A little sea grow and calmag both foliar and watered seems to green up anything.
How much are you watering right now? The soil drying a bit between waterings? With organic it seems like most issues i wind up having is water related.

plantingplants

Dank wolf thanks for sharing.

How do you tell when stretch is over?

Crushn, you can send fresh leaves to a lab or get horiba meters. You collect some leaves and squeeze them.

I'm fuckin worried that I am letting them get too dry and killing off the roots these plants desperately need for flower. I definitely tend towards under watering the whole year. I feel like I'm always playing catch up. It's really hard with these sprayers because I try to soak the edges of the pots but the overlap occurs in the center of the pot so the middle gets soaked when I try to catch the edges up.

man I feel like my watering system is failing me at a critical time. I can't even put drip rings on every pot because my pump can't keep up. I think maybe I'll install shutoffs so I can water half the garden at a time to keep pressure up. But damn I already feel like I'm bothering the neighbors so I don't want to have to run it for twice the amount of time. Really frustrating...

Dankwolf

Dank wolf thanks for sharing.

How do you tell when stretch is over?

Crushn, you can send fresh leaves to a lab or get horiba meters. You collect some leaves and squeeze them.

I'm fuckin worried that I am letting them get too dry and killing off the roots these plants desperately need for flower. I definitely tend towards under watering the whole year. I feel like I'm always playing catch up. It's really hard with these sprayers because I try to soak the edges of the pots but the overlap occurs in the center of the pot so the middle gets soaked when I try to catch the edges up.

man I feel like my watering system is failing me at a critical time. I can't even put drip rings on every pot because my pump can't keep up. I think maybe I'll install shutoffs so I can water half the garden at a time to keep pressure up. But damn I already feel like I'm bothering the neighbors so I don't want to have to run it for twice the amount of time. Really frustrating...

Stretch is over when flowers set (vary strain dependent). I know my strains well so it's easy.sorry not much help there .

As far as your watering issue . I would just mound the top soil to direct water where you want it ( root zone wise) .I can upload a pic later for example if you need .

Also my best plant ( biggest/healthiest) got at leasts 20% more water then the rest and has yellowed considerably less .

Dankwolf

If I were in Your position I would mound soil in potter's to direct water from emitters to area's that need consistent water like the out side edges. Then just hand/hose water once a week or as needed ( Also a good time to hit girls with last min adjustments) . you got this sometimes it's best to stop over thinking it and get back to basics . saved my ass a time or a 1000 lol.

EasyGoing

Now you know why I dig out the spots in the hill where my pots go and make them level. Makes watering way easier if you have to resort to hand watering.

Just so you know, doesn't matter how many sprinklers you have, or how many sections. With the same main pump, and the same amount of plants, you still have the same amount of water to distribute. So your options? Buy a bigger pump, buy a second pump, or the cheapest option divide the sections in half.

A new pump that I can recommend in a situation where the water pump is level or higher than the garden it is watering. It's on demand, so it shuts off when the pressure goes back up. I have two, one for my main irrigation at the top of a hill. THen the second I pump out of 250gal IBC totes and move around from spot to spot. Creates a good constant 40-60 psi. Take a good portion of a 15 amp outlet. Maybe you don't even have electrical, so my bad if so.

plantingplants

Easy, yea I need more gpm so I can run more gpm per pot (to support two sprayers and a drip ring instead of just two sprayers). My pump and pool are about 20 ft below the garden. I actually have two of the same pumps but one doesn't start and I don't know how to troubleshoot engines. Could be bad gas. Idk where I would empty it? I frankly don't want to mess with it but it may actually be the best bet.

EasyGoing

Buy a gas can to dump the gas in, done deal.

I buy only the high octane in a can these days, gallon at a time for like 20 bucks. Makes equipment last much longer, and much cleaner on the engines. I like you, hate working on gas engines.

CrushnYuba

Are they averaging at least 10 gallons a day? Like 20 gallons every 2 days or 30 every 3?
I have a similar situation in one of my gardens. There is an older women renting out the house right next to the garden. You can use a dc diaphragm pump. They only put out like 5gpm at 45 psi but they use like no electricity. You can run them off a single solar panel and a couple batteries or a super quiet 1kw inverter generator. They use less then 100w ac.
Most likely though, the neighbors won't care much about the noise of its mid day.

Davesnothere420

Here we go again. I want to say thanks to everyone here (and gone). So many have been so helpful and I've met some great people. After a bunch of setbacks and obstacles (I'm realizing that these don't go away, you just get better at handling them), everything is chugging along.

Currently in the process of pruning and getting supports up for trellis. Also need to wrap these pots with straw. Haven't gotten around to foliar yet but have some micros and Pacific Gro planned.

Strains:
Ancient OG F2s (courtesy of Shcrews)
Ancient OG x Black Lime Reserve (same)
Ancient OG clone (Hazy's big girl. Unfortunately I didn't have my pots ready and it was in a 3 gallon a little too long, but she recovered and is doing great)
Blue Dream (DHN, thanks Hazy)
Blue Dream S1 (found a single seed two seasons ago on a Blue Dream I grew)
In The Pines (Aficianado. Clone from some dispensary at the emerald cup, sativa pheno)
Green Crack (HSO)
Lemon Thai Kush (HSO)

Everything is going well. Bugs everywhere. The plants had a light case of thrips when they went up, and now they're covered in ladybugs in all stages of life, soldier bugs, pirate bugs, praying mantis, lacewings, spiders, etc.

AOG F2s (on June 9th)

View Image

Blue Dream S1 (on June 9th):

View Image

Same Blue Dream S1 (today, June 22nd, with ground cherry growing next to pot and green crack in background):

View Image

Lemon Thai Kush

View Image

:peacock:

I'll update soon with more photos.

Biggest fan leave ive ever seen. That thing is huge.