What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

04/06/17 John Oliver Launches 17 minute Video-Viral Assault on Federal Marijuana Laws

THCengineer

Psychiatrists say cannabis could be beneficial in treating various mental disorders.

Psychiatrists say cannabis could be beneficial in treating various mental disorders.

rsz-psychiatrists-say-cannabis-may-have-some-psychedelic-properities.jpg

By Jason Sander on Jul 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Cannabis is currently not classified or typically thought of as a psychedelic, but some mental health professionals say they would like to change that. It has been suggested that psychedelics – such as mushrooms – could also treat depression, PTSD, alcoholism, and so on. And psychiatrists also now believe that cannabis has some psychedelic properties that could be beneficial in treating various mental disorders. While this is certainly not news to anyone privy to the vast benefits of cannabis medicine, the study put out by these mental health professionals raises some interesting points.

While attending a recent conference in London regarding the science of psychedelics, New York psychiatrist Julie Holland suggested that cannabis medicine could be linked to “de-habituation” – an effect that is experienced by psychedelic drug users. This term is used by some mental health professionals to describe the experience a user might have on mushrooms in which they experience life in a child-like state of wonder, and that things that were once mundane and uninteresting end up becoming enthralling and engaging. According to Holland, some cannabis medicine might cause users to feel the same type of effect, which she believes could be a useful tool in treating mental health issues.

“The thing that I’m interested in with cannabis is how it does this thing where everything old is new again. That can be very helpful in psychiatry,” Holland said in an article appearing in Business Insider.

Holland is currently involved in a Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) study with the goal of determining whether cannabis is an effective treatment for veterans suffering from PTSD.

As with every other much-needed study on cannabis, of course the absurd stronghold of the federal government continually refusing to reclassify the medicine away from its current schedule one designation halts any would-be progress that such research would discover. Despite that absurdity, it is great to see mental health professionals such as Holland being open and vocal about her desire to possibly treat disorders with something other than potentially harmful pharmaceuticals. We need more doctors, nurses, science and medical educators and mental health professionals like Holland to have the courage to come forward and say enough is enough: Cannabis is indeed effective medicine, whether the powers that be like that fact or not.

What are your thoughts on the possible psychedelic properties of cannabis medicine? Do you think there is any merit to these statements?

THCengineer

How Normal Should America Make Marijuana?

rsz-how-normal-should-america-make-marijuana.jpg

By Chloe Sommers on Jul 15, 2017 09:03 am

The new era of cannabis legalization is sweeping across America and a new wave of cannabis consumers are calling for the ‘normalization’ of the plant – but what exactly does that mean? The truth is that through decades of anti-cannabis propaganda and prohibition laws, the historically medicinal plant has gained more than its fair share of haters. However, now that marijuana is state-legal in more than half of the U.S., exactly how normal should America make marijuana?

Through real-world examples of cannabis businesses trying to break the stigma of marijuana, two scientific studies on consumer perceptions and a scholarly article on the normalization of cannabis in Canada we can start to see how important policy changes are to normalizing the plant.

As the Cannalaw Blog reiterates, “It’s not just that lawmakers and regulators are no longer afraid to have open conversations about how to regulate cannabis or even that politicians no longer feel the need to hide in the cannabis closet.” From using the taxes generated from marijuana sales for public schools and combatting issues of homelessness to cannabis-themed weddings and vacations, many people are adapting to legalization.

Veteran cannabis states, like Colorado, have dozens – if not hundreds – of pro-pot organizations, businesses, and associations dedicated to normalizing the plant. There’s even an international organization called NORML, which stands for The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. For example, in Colorado there’s the Millennium Grown organization which holds monthly book discussion groups at their Cannabis Literary Society meetings, where consumers can talk about the plant and also partake in a safe and legal space. Also, there’s cannabis businesses like Break the Stigma Fitness, which combines cannabis-friendly workouts, nutritional advice, and workshops detailing nutrition and cannabis therapy exercise to change the perception of cannabis users by representing and presenting a healthy holistic approach. These organizations and businesses are popping up to gather like-minded people in a comfortable space to do the taboo – making a cannabis-friendly lifestyle.

Between marketing and policy reform, there is progress being made to create a more positive perception of cannabis around the globe. Three reputable studies taken in the past decade from Europe, America, and Canada together paint a picture of the new view on cannabis. Comparing these conclusions to any decades prior to the new millennium would surely have different results that are biased against marijuana.

Sveinug Sandberg’s 2011 study, titled Is cannabis use normalized, celebrated, or neutralized? Analysing talk as action, takes into account the interviews of 100 Norwegian cannabis users and their thoughts on cannabis use.

The three most frequent types of answers:

1. The first emphasized how users were ‘normal’ with statements, such as ‘everyone smokes cannabis’ or ‘cannabis users are not different from others’.
  2. The second discursive repertoire emphasized the fascinating difference of both users and the drug. Many cannabis users stated that cannabis was used by ‘free-thinking, open people’ and triggered creativity.
  3. The third discursive repertoire was different techniques of risk denial, arguing that cannabis ‘is just a plant’ or that cannabis use did not have any harmful consequences.
Comparing the three types of answers clearly reveal the conflicting beliefs on the effects of the drug. The author of the study cites that “these three discursive repertoires are the empirical foundations for three conflicting theoretical traditions in studies of illegal drugs.” This scientific article argues that all three discursive repertoires can be understood as responses to stigmatization and the conclusion is that the theoretical framework of ‘normalization’ is not the best way to understand cannabis use in Norway and possibly elsewhere.

Another study, conducted in the Spring of 2013, recruited 10,000 students at two universities in the Southeastern United States to complete an online survey. The about 2,000 participants that answered the study, which was called Perceived Harm, Addictiveness, and Social Acceptability of Tobacco Products and Marijuana Among Young Adults: Marijuana, Hookah, and Electronic Cigarettes Win. The survey focused on assessing personal, parental, and peer use of marijuana, hookah, and electronic cigarettes. The respondents gave their perceptions of health risks, addictiveness, and social acceptability of each product. Marijuana was the most positively perceived, with hookah and electronic cigarettes coming in second.
The results were as follows:

• Marijuana was the most commonly used product in the past month (19.2%)
  • Hookah being the second most commonly used (16.4%)
  • The less commonly used were smokeless tobacco products (2.6%)
  • Even lesser use was found for electronic cigarettes (4.5%)
The study concluded that marketing to the safety of e-cigs and hookah seemed to be effective, while policy changes seem to make the ultimate differentiator for altering the negative perceptions of marijuana. The study was published in the Journal of Substance Abuse & Misuse and added that research is needed to document the health risks and addictive nature of emerging tobacco products and marijuana.

The third and final academic paper to be discussed in this article on normalization is another one published in The Addiction Research & Theory Journal. Published in 2012, the article is titled Canadian perspective on cannabis normalization among adults. This article takes up issues of normalization regarding the answers from a study involving 165, socially integrated, adult cannabis users in four Canadian cities. According to the authors, “although some social and personal stigmas remain, our research suggests they are largely confined to the immoderate, ‘irresponsible’ use of cannabis, while more ‘controlled’ use among adults appears all but de-stigmatized.” It’s important to give appropriate consideration to the Canadian research, as they are currently leading the way when it comes to the national legalization of cannabis.

Overall, the three conclusions of the studies show that since the new millennium, actions speak louder than words. That means marketing efforts to normalize cannabis, while well-intentioned and helpful, are not as effective as policy changes when it comes to normalizing the plant. Also, the reports are mindful that more research is needed into any possible risk factors, like addiction or adverse effects of cannabis, as to appropriately warn the youth.

baduy

What are your thoughts on the possible psychedelic properties of cannabis medicine? Do you think there is any merit to these statements?
Prohibitionists like to say that cannabis is potentialy causing schizophrenia cause many schizo patients are reported to be cannabis users. I see it the other way around and am pretty sure this is due to some instinctive self medication from the patients who feel their mental issues to be more manageable if on weed

THCengineer

Scientists are now convinced that our Sun affects our mental and physical health.

Scientists are now convinced that our Sun affects our mental and physical health.

maxresdefault.jpg

Today, 07/16/2017, there is a cardiac and psychiatric alert.

I suspect that schizophrenia is not really a pathological condition and is moreso evidence of mankind's multidimensional-subpersonality-instrumentation. Anyway, what's wrong with schizophrenia? I've been schizophrenic since my 1983 walk-in. Actually, none of my "me's" can say anything for certain just yet. But we trust that the Great Solar Flash will sort out our schizophrenic walk-in dilemma(s)! lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhU93vcLXXE
How Solar Flares & Geomagnetic Storms Affect Human Health – Our Mind And Body

nemesis maturity

Published on Jul 27, 2016
Have you ever felt strange without really knowing why, shortly after a solar flare entered Earth’s atmosphere?

According to scientists, solar flares do cause changes in human health.

A solar flare is an explosion on the Sun that happens when energy stored in twisted magnetic fields is suddenly released.
Such intense activity has influence on our mind and body.
More and more scientists are now convinced that our Sun affects our mental and physical health.

The Sun’s activity as it interacts with the Earths magnetic field, effects extensive changes in human beings perspectives, moods, emotions and behavioral patterns.

The Institute of North Industrial Ecology Problems in Russia measured solar effects from 1948 to 1997 and discovered that geomagnetic activity showed three seasonal peaks each of those years (March to May, in July, and in October).

Every peak matched an increased incidence of anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and suicide.

This led scientist to believe that solar storms desynchronize our circadian rhythm, in other words our biological clock. The pineal gland in our brain is affected by the electromagnetic activity.

The idea that spots on the sun or solar flares might influence human health on earth at first appears to lack scientific credibility.

However, when significant correlations between hospital admissions and health registers and Solar-Geomagnetic Activity (S-GMA) are found, then the challenge is to conceive of and to document a scientifically plausible and observationally supported mechanism and model. There is a large body of research correlating S-GMA with biological effects and human health effects.

"There is currently an absence of a known and credible biophysical mechanism to link the S-GMA with these effects,” writes Dr Neil Cherry Associate Professor of Environmental Health at the Lincoln University in his science paper.

Prohibitionists like to say that cannabis is potentialy causing schizophrenia cause many schizo patients are reported to be cannabis users. I see it the other way around and am pretty sure this is due to some instinctive self medication from the patients who feel their mental issues to be more manageable if on weed

Last edited:
The United states is literally split right down the middle between conservative and liberal issues.

Like any poll I see on any political issue is almost always 50/50

I personally like guns, I don't like illegal immigration and I feel that certain social issues should be left out of our school system, for those reasons I voted for trump.

Really my second amendment right to bear arms takes number one spot for me, I am a weed smoking conservative thru and thru that thinks a well armed socity is a polite society.

Also I want to secure American resources for American children, we have many citizen children that are starving, we should take care of them and not worry about all of the illegal immigrants.

We can't build or fix schools in the US but we can feed, house and clothe illegals.

Realistically I believe the US will be in a civil war within 10 years, it is too politically divided to carry on, the is 2 totally polar opposite mind sets in the US.

I'm sure if there was an American on british tv shitting on the British crown and spouting off at the mouth about all of your countries policies you'd feel the same way I do about these foreign pundits.

America can't be too bad because we allow foreigners to come here and flourish and reap millions of $ like Oliver and noah.

No other country on earth affords that type of potential to foreign invaders.

Our 2 party system was set up intentionally. It is a system designed to fail........ Divide and conquer. Keep folks infighting about stupid shit and they lose track of the real issues going on behind the scenes. Got no time for bipartisan bickering. It is as non productive as Congress!!!! And please can someone tell me just what effects have you seen or felt from Trump as president.? A childish tweetster that only cares about the cream of the crop.

Your life isnt going to get better unless your a billionaire or a mega corporate tycoon.. Or at the top of the 1% .....Tell me what Trump has done for you lately?...... Humphhhh And no I wasnt one of the ones that would have voted for the lesser of 2 evils. Evil is still evil even if its lesser. Mericas war on drugs made sure my voice would never be heard. Convicted felon growing weed took that away.

BTW if you really dig into America's history you might just re think all that american exceptional ism as the road to where we are and how we live today was fraught with lots of murder and mayhem and lots of human rights issues. Our shit stinks just like the next guys.Believe that, or just keep thinking what you have been taught. Choice is yours.

And please don't give me that old standby well if ya aint happy then get the fu%% out. That dont work with me .

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jump...no need to respond to that dude...pretty sure he's gone..plus..ill was two or three handles ago...when he pops back up it will be obvious

Jhhnn

Veteran
Jump...no need to respond to that dude...pretty sure he's gone..plus..ill was two or three handles ago...when he pops back up it will be obvious

It's like reading a series of communiques from the Bundy militia... while they're toking crack.

floraterraca

We are community driven, serving the strong citizens on Santa Rosa and the greater Sonoma County area. Our space is designed to offer an encouraging environment where you are invited to inquire, discover and enjoy. We exist to serve our community with the highest quality medicine. Whether you are a first-time customer or a long-time cannasseur, you are welcome at Flora Terra. Dispensaries In Sonoma County

St. Phatty

We are community driven, serving the strong citizens on Santa Rosa and the greater Sonoma County area. Our space is designed to offer an encouraging environment where you are invited to inquire, discover and enjoy. We exist to serve our community with the highest quality medicine. Whether you are a first-time customer or a long-time cannasseur, you are welcome at Flora Terra. Dispensaries In Sonoma County

When will the laws be adapted so that Oregon growers can sell to a Ca dispensary ?

Or participate in a California Cannabis contest ?

Latest posts

Latest posts