What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Forever After Soil Mix for Ultimate Quality

Karma Xul

Jeff is a friend of mine. Both Elaine and Jeff have acknowledged my findings concerning peat moss regarding the shared microbial life. When the Alaska humus products are shipped cross border they are classed as peat.

You are to the best of my knowledge mistaken about AM hyphae surviving as a living entity. If this comes from Elaine, she is wrong. As far as I know, Alaska humus (Ancient Forest, etc) are harvested from areas where there used to be forests, just like peat moss.

Elaine has not tested good biochar then. I make my own. She does not have multiple doctorates. Where do you get that?

I was asking about the source of your peat referring to Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, not Alaska 'humus'. Is it? If so where do you get large bails for $4.

Good to hear that you harvest the clay soil.

Interesting. I was not aware of the shipping standards. Perhaps it was the sheathing mantle of the hyphal network. I just sent an email over to see if I can clarify where that originated from. She has a doctorate from Colorado and Ill have to remember where the other was from. I get back to you in a bit on that. The tests were done at a biochar convention. I got that from one of her lectures where she goes into her history. If you go to youtube and type in Elaine Ingham, common ground, hawaii, 2012 you should find it. Its a 36 hour lecture Ive watched about 20 times as it was the only media I had when I moved to this location after having most everything in my life stolen from me. My local garden store sold me bails for that price or right around there. Maybe it was due to the volume I purchased that year filling up 30 300 gallon containers with it and clay. Maybe 60% peat if not more. I have no idea how many I got. Well over 100 I think

Karma Xul

http://www.arbico-organics.com/prod...-insidiosus-predator/specialty-indoor-growing

Still have an hour with this company. Both are good companies. There are a bunch of them on a google search. Ill let you know when mine come in what they look like if your interested in how many make it. I am not sure if they are all dropped shipped from the same supplier or not. Are you in a rush? I may know some one who can ship fast though it will be super pricey.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. I was not aware of the shipping standards. Perhaps it was the sheathing mantle of the hyphal network. I just sent an email over to see if I can clarify where that originated from. She has a doctorate from Colorado and Ill have to remember where the other was from. I get back to you in a bit on that. The tests were done at a biochar convention. I got that from one of her lectures where she goes into her history. If you go to youtube and type in Elaine Ingham, common ground, hawaii, 2012 you should find it. Its a 36 hour lecture Ive watched about 20 times as it was the only media I had when I moved to this location after having most everything in my life stolen from me. My local garden store sold me bails for that price or right around there. Maybe it was due to the volume I purchased that year filling up 30 300 gallon containers with it and clay. Maybe 60% peat if not more. I have no idea how many I got. Well over 100 I think

Great price if Canadian Sphagnum peat moss. For Premier which is the best brand I've tested, even if I buy 200 bales my best price has been $8 CAD. [and I've done consulting for the company]

Please treat info from Elaine with skepticism and also from all people including me. Elaine is confused about a few things. One of them is fungi. She teaches that colored (pigmented) fungal hyphae is more beneficial than clear (hyaline) fungal hyphae. The truth is that most fungal hyphae begins as hyaline and becomes pigmented when it grows older. If you see hyaline hyphae it means it is young, healthy and growing.

Her info about wider diameter hyphae is related to other sorts of fungi growing in soil, compost and in compost tea. It is not related to endomycorrhizal (arbuscular) fungi (AM).

AM spores typically only sprout and grow when adjacent to roots which they are mycorrhizal with and can infect. There are laboratory methods for sprouting them without roots.

If you look at my writings you will find methods for growing your own AM indigenous to your area or you can inoculate with purchased spores.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.arbico-organics.com/prod...-insidiosus-predator/specialty-indoor-growing

Still have an hour with this company. Both are good companies. There are a bunch of them on a google search. Ill let you know when mine come in what they look like if your interested in how many make it. I am not sure if they are all dropped shipped from the same supplier or not. Are you in a rush? I may know some one who can ship fast though it will be super pricey.

For bugs, check out Rove beetles.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=224594

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=277908

Last edited:

Karma Xul

Great price if Canadian Sphagnum peat moss. For Premier which is the best brand I've tested, even if I buy 200 bales my best price has been $8 CAD. [and I've done consulting for the company]

Please treat info from Elaine with skepticism and also from all people including me. Elaine is confused about a few things. One of them is fungi. She teaches that colored (pigmented) fungal hyphae is more beneficial than clear (hyaline) fungal hyphae. The truth is that most fungal hyphae begins as hyaline and becomes pigmented when it grows older. If you see hyaline hyphae it means it is young, healthy and growing.

Her info about wider diameter hyphae is related to other sorts of fungi growing in soil, compost and in compost tea. It is not related to endomycorrhizal (arbuscular) fungi (AM).

AM spores typically only sprout and grow when adjacent to roots which they are mycorrhizal with and can infect. There are laboratory methods for sprouting them without roots.

If you look at my writings you will find methods for growing your own AM indigenous to your area or you can inoculate with purchased spores.

Ill have to check that out. It is possible I payed more of the peat. It was some years ago. Im not sure what brand it was any more. It was in a mostly white colored bail with green writing I think.

Im rewatching the video series from Elaine now. One degree was a masters from Texas A&M in marine microbiology. Her doctorate was from Colorado though its possible she does not have multiple doctorates. I was not familiar with the term hyaline. Fungi do not gain benefit with age? I mean I would think they would be mature perhaps and so more efficient? I have a book "Mycorrhizae running" though I have not read it yet.

I was taught oatmeal and seaweed were great mycorrhizal foods. Also I remember her saying fish hydrolosate is a great fungal and bacterial food though when it is heated to extract the conjointen the proteins separate and then becomes a purely bacterial food.

I want to go through the video and take a bunch of notes and organize the information. Once I get a bit more organized I will restart the project. I was doing this in Central America a while back though I dont have that computer on me at the moment

Thanks for the info

Karma Xul

Her Ph. D. was in Soil Microbiology at Colorado State University and that had to do with stains of active organisms in the soil. I mention this as you mention the hyphae coloration. She was doing a comparison ecosystem between different grasses. A stain that is only taken up by active organisms in the soil. It is known as fluorescein diacetate, FDA for short. She went on to teach at Oregon State until she butted heads with Monsanto who gave that university 75 million a year in grant money. She spoke against them at a UN conference which resulted in restrictions being put on genetically modified organisms. She was restricted at the university after until she finally left. Went to Rodale in PA though Im not sure she still teaches there. She has a really intereting history. Im not sure it is multiple doctorate though multiple degrees in micro organisms.

Karma Xul

Her husband had a pH D in nematodology and since they likely talked about everything they knew its kind of like having multiple pH Ds. I think they meet at Colorado in the pH D program.

Karma Xul

So Elaines full credentials.

St. Ciaf (sp?) College, Double Major in Biology and Chemistry

Master's, Texas A&M, Marine Microbiology

Ph D., Colorado State University, Soil Microbiology

Research Fellow, University of Georgia

Assistant, Associate Professor, Oregon State University (1956-2001)

President Soil Foodweb Inc. 1996-present (New York, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, England, others)

Rodale Institute, Pennsylvania, Chief Scientist 2011-? possibly present?

Karma Xul

My concern with rove beetles is they eat earth worms. however... https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/tiny-earthworms-big-impact reads that earthworms can destroy the fungi and duff layer. All new to me and a bit confusing though perhaps highlights why Elaine seems to favor compost over castings. Is there a happy balance? Do you see worms as destructive to the ecosystem, friendly or just depends on various factors?

Only worms i use are red wiggys to break down my organic debris i collect during october months. Usually hardwood leaves, i try to watch how mother trees nurture the saplings underneath them here in my forests locally! You two are WAY ahead of my understandings on hyphae and such! That being said i hope im not pissing either of you off asking questions. So i learn just reading your posts which is fun! Thankyouz both for helping me! This is a lifestyle ive chosen for me, certainly beyond hobby now! Lol so thankyou! I am in no rush and really just wanna try a round or two of mite destroying or even better all encompassing pest bug destroyers!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Her Ph. D. was in Soil Microbiology at Colorado State University and that had to do with stains of active organisms in the soil. I mention this as you mention the hyphae coloration. She was doing a comparison ecosystem between different grasses. A stain that is only taken up by active organisms in the soil. It is known as fluorescein diacetate, FDA for short. She went on to teach at Oregon State until she butted heads with Monsanto who gave that university 75 million a year in grant money. She spoke against them at a UN conference which resulted in restrictions being put on genetically modified organisms. She was restricted at the university after until she finally left. Went to Rodale in PA though Im not sure she still teaches there. She has a really intereting history. Im not sure it is multiple doctorate though multiple degrees in micro organisms.

I am familiar with her history. She did not remain at Rodale.

The thing about the hyphae is that she states hyaline hyphae is not good, illustrating to me some confusion.

It was me who brought to light that fish hydrolysate feeds both bacteria/archaea and fungi. That and black strap molasses which also feeds both groups.

It is possible that AM fungi derives some nutrient from oat flour, etc. after infecting roots. However, the use of this as recommended by soil food industries (SFI), applied to compost, grows out other sorts of fungi.

I only use bran for a short duration in [v]compost prior to use in CT, due to my concern that it may grow aspergillus fumigatus or other 'bread mold'

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My concern with rove beetles is they eat earth worms. however... https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/tiny-earthworms-big-impact reads that earthworms can destroy the fungi and duff layer. All new to me and a bit confusing though perhaps highlights why Elaine seems to favor compost over castings. Is there a happy balance? Do you see worms as destructive to the ecosystem, friendly or just depends on various factors?

I've never heard of rove beetles eating worms. Millipedes eat worms. I had no issues with them eating my worms.

The wrong type of worm in the wrong environment is bad. Problems have arisen from fisherman dumping foreign worm species in forest ecosystems. (etc.)

Karma Xul

I've never heard of rove beetles eating worms. Millipedes eat worms. I had no issues with them eating my worms.

The wrong type of worm in the wrong environment is bad. Problems have arisen from fisherman dumping foreign worm species in forest ecosystems. (etc.)

I was reading that online. Perhaps they mostly feed on the earth worms when they surface. Im watching my cameras, waiting for my pirate bugs to come. I was reading on the Rove beetles that they can also control shore flies which are a small fly found near the shores. Here in Maine we have flies the size of bubblebees. Im curious to know if they might be effective against them as well. Vicious little buggers. Between them and the mosquitoes there is about 1 to 2 hours of early morning where it is safe to go out unprotected. Solar fly traps do amazing things however a multi front approach would likely be best.

Let me ask you. PM, I know it can be attracted by clovers so I plan on mowing them down when they start to flower as I do not have enough for loads of corn gluten. What do you think is a good approach aside from genetics and mycorrhizae coverings on the leaves? I was thinking sulfur burners around the outdoor as a preventative measure.

If you could share your thoughts on feeding powdered eggs to plants it would be appreciated as well.

Karma Xul

I was curious what your growing though could not find anything. I did see this regarding PM in one of your threads. file:///C:/Users/karmaxul/Downloads/Ampelomyces%20AQ10%20Sergio%20Franceschini%20(1).pdf
Your like a recreation of me from another time. Im surprised you didnt get butchered with your phosphorus poison thread in the hydro forum. I have yet to fair that well

Karma Xul

Pirate bugs are here though still a bit sleepy.

Attachments

• 17431795_1712653192082292_15177184_o.jpg
    17431795_1712653192082292_15177184_o.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 17455190_1712653212082290_1170484118_o.jpg
    17455190_1712653212082290_1170484118_o.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 17474131_1712653228748955_1974176377_o.jpg
    17474131_1712653228748955_1974176377_o.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 17474217_1712653322082279_1099167644_o.jpg
    17474217_1712653322082279_1099167644_o.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 17475374_1712653148748963_1795784283_o.jpg
    17475374_1712653148748963_1795784283_o.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 12

Karma Xul

After seeing my electric bill from when I was gone I went to shut of the cloning shelves lights. Good thing I did as there was a tray up top I forgot about as it was taking forever to root. Then came a bit of research as I did not know what they were. :) Lemon Garlic OG. Flavor shift for the outdoor. I may pop some diesel dipped cookie seeds as well and see if I can give away some sour diesel seedlings. Its a good flavor for sure though Im preferable to the Lemon Garlic OG and Diesel Dipped Cookies. Bubbas gift is delicious as well and I enjoy Blue Widow though its flavor, although higher then most, is Not as intense as the others. It ease of trimming and worry free early growing more then make up for the slightest of potential lose in flavor though perhaps some things have a reason which makes up for it. Look like little wookie roots and for forgetting about them look rather healthy with the conditions untended for a week.

Latest posts

Latest posts