What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

xtsho

Well I ended up finishing my Ethiopian grow. I had 2 distinct pheno's. A tall one and a short one. You can see the difference between the 2 on the right and the 2 on the left. I pollinated one of the shorter ones to make seeds.

The grow didn't go as well as I had hoped. A bunch of life issues happened that I had to deal with and the plants ended up being neglected. It was also a bad time to start indoor plants when I did as heat became a serious issue. It wasn't wise to start these when I did.

Regardless I got the seeds I wanted for preservation. Many are not viable but I've since gone through them and have them stored away for the future.

ethiopian.jpg

I wrote 2019 on the tag but it should read 2020. I've since corrected that mistake with my labeling and have the seeds stored in airtight vials. This is just the picture I took before going through the seeds for storage.

91ethiopianseeds.jpg

Here's a couple of them later. It was definitely not the best grow I've had but they did provide me with some decent cannabis for consumption. I've really enjoyed the effects. The high level of THCV makes it excellent for early morning and daytime use. My next Ethiopian grow will be better. But I'm likely to grow out some Afghani + Ethiopian hybrids before growing the straight Ethiopian. Regardless, Ethiopian is a great strain and I'm glad to have it in my lineup.

91ethiopian.jpg

xtsho

Great job...
If you had to speak on thcv in depth... how would you say it feels?
Is it the magic :)

That's a good question and before I grew the Ethiopian I had never paid any attention to THCV. It wasn't until I saw the lab report that I started to think about it and look into it in more depth.

I can say that with it's relatively low THC compared to what much of the stuff today has I find it a welcome break. I like to take the edge off in the morning and I don't like higher THC strains that make me lazy and keep me from getting things done.

This Ethiopian gives me exactly what I'm looking for. I'll save the stuff that knocks you out for when I'm in bed watching television and am done for the day. I have things to do. I can't be couch locked.

As for the THCV. I'm not 100% sure but I think it is helping with my old knees. I have decades of abusing my body but my knees seem to have taken the brunt of the abuse. I usually wake up and have pain in my knees. Since I've started smoking the Ethiopian the pain seems to be significantly lessened later on in the day. But that could just be similar to a placebo effect. Thinking it's working. Either way, my knees feel better and I'm leaning more towards the THCV acting as an anti-inflammatory.

If THCV is a potential anti-inflammatory it would be worth the effort to try and breed plants just for that specific cannabinoid. Ethiopian would be a good place to start.

burningfire

Veteran
what kind of aromas did you get with those plants? loud or not?

I just bought 2 packs when they had the sale.

Last edited:

xtsho

what kind of aromas did you get with those plants? loud or not?

i just bought 2 packs when they had the sale.

A very prominent pine aroma. There was something else in there but I have a hard time identifying it. The taste is somewhat similar with a slight hint of lemon.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Nice plants, xtsho. Thanks for bumping this thread. Reminded me that I still have a bit of Ethiopian that has been curing for a year and a half.:dance013:

Just vaped a bit and it is still really good. Great happy, uplifting, motivating high. I agree with the terps of pine and hint of lemon. I also get dry grass and now with a long cure, a hint of hash (but that piney hash).

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I kinda picture thcv being the magic that makes some weed interesting, movies, music, everything sounds better... Things are more fun... More bright vibrant exciting than usual.
I definitely wanna try Ethiopian.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi xthso :) Very interesting results! Your Ethiopians performed very well despite the hot soil mix, nice yield and well tamed plants for pure Ethiopian.
As you have experienced, it is much easier to grow from clones and the strain doesn't need too much macro nutrients to grow healthy.

Glad you are enjoying with the uplifting and clean effects of the strain and that the genetics are providing also good medical relief.
I'm very curious to see the cannabinoid analysis if you have the chance. Thanks a lot for your feedback! :yes:

Chi13, glad you are still enjoying with your long cured Ethiopian harvest! ;)

snoppy

I think she looks great! Good job there snoppy!:jump:

Thank you Ozz :) , my first grow and I really learned alot, just one thing that bothers me, I see buds with almost complete brown pistils but not even a hint of amber trichomes although am week 15.

burningfire

Veteran
Thank you Ozz :) , my first grow and I really learned alot, just one thing that bothers me, I see buds with almost complete brown pistils but not even a hint of amber trichomes although am week 15.

I think that the general harvest "tips" are generally wrong. I can't tell you what makes trichomes turn amber, I suspect that a terpene that oxidizes turns amber, we know that CBN is almost never present in living plants. It's not uncommon for tropical, sub-tropical and equatorial sativas to never have amber trichomes and keep pushing pistils for an indefinite amount of time.

Did you stick to a 12/12 schedule or did you switch to 11/13 as the flowering progressed? this would emulate their natural environment.

From the information that I gathered from dubi and the ace website I believe that 15 weeks is probably nearing the end of the harvest window. Sampling bud as flowering progresses is probably going to give you a better idea of where the harvest window is.

I'm curious when you switched to 12/12 and what height the plants were and are at harvest, I am going to grow some myself and would benefit from your personal experience.

ULMW

Selamta! Greetings!!! These photos come from the time when I was living and working in Ethiopia. Found them. yesterday and thought to share them here as it was Ethiopian cannabis that first connected Mi with Ace Seeds.
These were fed all natural sheep, cow and donkey dung nutrient tea feed. Sunlight is fairly much same all year, so one or two crops were able to be made.
Hope these help document Ethiopian cannabis plants.

picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome snoppy :)

Glad to see your pure Ethiopians finishing indoors. They look great, well done! :yes:

Yes, it's normal to have reflowering at the end of flowering with this type of tropical sativas. As stated in the strain deswcription, our Ethiopian finished in 13-14 weeks, sometimes a few days more if you grow them indoors from seed, also depending on the specific plant and phenotype, yours looks close to it.

As burningfire correctly pointed out, if you are not familiarized with harvest time of tropical sativas then experiment a bit yourself by harvesting different parts of the plants at different ripeness stages, and after proepr curing you can decide what moment do you prefer the most to harvest a particular strain.

In my opinion they are almost done, it just depends on your preference whether to let them ripe their final reflowerings or harvest them now.

Hi all,

Here are pics for my plants at week 15 flowering and there is two things that concerns me.

* the buds developed massive tailfoxing, is this normal and is it a good or bad thing and why?

* I'm now in week 15 and still can't spot amber trichome?

[URL=https://i.ibb.co/0ZqP7TH/IMG-20210108-233221.jpg]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://i.ibb.co/RCbRVSv/IMG-20210108-214202.jpg]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://i.ibb.co/xDhh4DZ/IMG-20210108-214109.jpg]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://i.ibb.co/wYNtt6z/IMG-20210108-233325.jpg]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://i.ibb.co/cxHSB6m/IMG-20210108-214049.jpg]View Image[/url]

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi ULMW,

I didn't know your interest on Ethiopians sativas led you to us :) I wonder how the Ethiopian you grew there does compare with the one we offer.

Guess these old pics bring you nice memories friend ;)