What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi x PCK

psyphish

Veteran
Flowering Day 71
Still not ready. Is this a more Malawi influenced pheno ?
Long flowering and foxtailing in the end.
But i´ve never grown Malawi (yet).

2 other Malawi x PCK who has been planted together with this one looking already really ripe, hairs brown at Flowering Day 65.

Here are more pics :tiphat:

View Image

View Image

It's foxtailing because it's stressed. The plant doesn't look very healthy and a sickly plant flowers slower and often foxtails. Often a plant that looks sick and foxtaily in the end has seeds in it also. A dude I know gave me a few grams of this strain, it was poorly grown and had a few seeds in it, threw the buds in the trash.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Flowering Day 71
Still not ready. Is this a more Malawi influenced pheno ?
Long flowering and foxtailing in the end.
But i´ve never grown Malawi (yet).

2 other Malawi x PCK who has been planted together with this one looking already really ripe, hairs brown at Flowering Day 65.

Great looking Malawi x PCK pheno early bird :)
Thanks a lot for your updates.

The more sativa phenos of the hybrid (especially the purple sativa pheno) like to foxtail in the last weeks of flowering. It's worth to wait until they are fully mature :yes:

Best wishes for 2016! :tiphat:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
It's foxtailing because it's stressed. The plant doesn't look very healthy and a sickly plant flowers slower and often foxtails. Often a plant that looks sick and foxtaily in the end has seeds in it also. A dude I know gave me a few grams of this strain, it was poorly grown and had a few seeds in it, threw the buds in the trash.

Hi psyphish,

I disagree with you. Early bird's Malawi x PCK is very well developed.

The fact that she is yellowish in late flowering is not a sign that has not been properly grown, it's a sign that has not been overfeed.
The flowers of her plant looks very well developed, i prefer this way better than overfeed her and keep her completly green in late flowering.
Unless you want to smoke Nitrogen and excess of nutrients in your harvested weed.

She just needs a bit more of time. This more sativa pheno of the hybrid likes to foxtail at the end of flowering and needs more time, it's not about the stress.
It has nothing to do with being hermie.

psyphish

Veteran
Hi psyphish,

I disagree with you. Early bird's Malawi x PCK is very well developed.

The fact that she is yellowish in late flowering is not a sign that has not been properly grown, it's a sign that has not been overfeed.
The flowers of her plant looks very well developed, i prefer this way better than overfeed her and keep her completly green in late flowering.
Unless you want to smoke Nitrogen and excess of nutrients in your harvested weed.

She just needs a bit more of time. This more sativa pheno of the hybrid likes to foxtail at the end of flowering and needs more time, it's not about the stress.
It has nothing to do with being hermie.

A plant that has no live leaves left won't fully develop. Bud development also uses nutrients. I had a Golden Tiger turn to **** when I underfed her, took 17 weeks and still had white stigmas because of the lack of nutrients. The smoke is definitely weaker than the GT that took 4 weeks less.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
The plant already used most of the nutrients and now is in late flowering and should be close to final flushing.

I would recommend you to grow 2 clones of the same mother, one finishing yellowish and starved in the last 15 days of life, and the other one more overfeed and green until the end, then test both after a proper curing.
I bet you will find the yellowish one more natural and better tasting, with higher quality terpenes and less rough in the smoke (especially in the first weeks after harvest).

Plants must be healthy and green during their growth and most of part of flowering to develop correctly,
but plant doesn't need to have nutrients stored at harvest time, it just looks better but doesn't mean the smoke is better or healthier.

early_bird

Veteran
Thanks dubi :tiphat:
Yes right, i didn't feed her some time, she is running out of nutrients. She had green leaves util arround day 60 i guess.
I didn't expect her flowering so long. But even better, so i don't have much Nitrogen and other fertilizer now left in the plant :)

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
You can see she has slowen in the last pics
Maybe a couple more weeks.
Looking nice man :)

Malarky

Looks good Bro ,seems the indica heads haven't grown sat Dom strains .
Agree a certain amount of heat stress will foxtail but some girls like to foxy anyhow .

Peace.

psyphish

Veteran
Looks good Bro ,seems the indica heads haven't grown sat Dom strains .
Agree a certain amount of heat stress will foxtail but some girls like to foxy anyhow .

Peace.

I've grown plenty of sativa strains. I still think that early bird's plant didn't swell up as much as it could have, it didn't change that much in the last weeks. I agree that a plant shouldn't be green IN THE END, but his plant seemed to "run out of gas" way before the finish line. I'm sure it will get him high and will taste incredibly smooth if he nails the cure (boveda packs!). If you re-veg the plant and take clones, they'll be ready a bit earlier and this time you could try keeping some of them green for longer to see if it has any effect on the potency (it will).

Last edited:

rolandomota

Dang that phenotype still needed at least two more weeks. Look at those clear pistils on top. Very Malawi dominant .

B

blue_tick

maybe he took it down do to his liking. i take mine a little early too. i just like the smoke a little better

peace

early_bird

Veteran
@flboy, right, i like it a little early :)
But this wasn´t the point here.

But the picture is misleading. The plant has mostly brown pistils and also some brown trichomes. The light of the HPS-bulbs don´t show up well brown hairs on the plant, they seem to disapear even with adjusted white balance (pictures are shoot with DSLR in RAW mode, colors are corrected at postprocessing).

There are a few white hairs on the top of the foxtailing buds, but mostly they are dark brown.

They real light in the flowering room is orange, i wondered how ripe she looks after cutting and looking under some neutral light source at her.

early_bird

Veteran
At first, thanks for all the reply´s. Of course, i may wrong, most of you guys have grown more stuff than i will ever do ;)

Here is a another picture. I zoomed in the pic above for some details and adjusted the postprocessing to become a more realistic look.

Voila, no more white hairs :)

To remember, trichs at day 65, already quite cloudy. 30 days before harvest.

B

blue_tick

early bird

yes i was just trying to keep the criticism to themselves. to each his own. plant looks remarkable to me brother. ace has the best strains going as far as i am concerned hands down. i have a collection from them. enjoy the fruits of the harvest

peace

Malarky

Lovely Bro ,nice cure and yer sorted .

Only messing with indica heads joke ,I'm a newbie .

Most heads on here prolly forgotten more than I'll ever know ye Ken .

Peace.

Psycodelicious

got mine last week as a freebie directly frome ace site so i think they are back? or where some left?
2 malawi x pck got in da dirt today :) hope to see the purple pheno right the first time if not 4 beans left for after the summer

outdoor at lat 49 isnt really recommandable what you think?