Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Creating the ideal trimming station

Thread Title Search
Visit Sensi Seeds For all your Genetic Needs!
Creating the ideal trimming station Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 PM #1
coldcanna

coldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to all
Creating the ideal trimming station

As the outdoor season approaches its end it will soon be that time of year where many of us get to slow down, start sleeping in again, and spend the next month or 2 trimming our hard work. Now I have been doing this for a few years now and have tried several setups and I'm still seeking something that is more ergonomic. I've tried sitting on the couch and working off the coffee table, sitting at our breakfast bar with a bar stool, sitting indian style on the floor, and I just recently tried standing up in front of an improvised table. No matter what I try it seems I need to get up and move around every ounce or 2 because my neck/back starts to hurt. So I'm asking everyone to give some input on what there setup is like, and if they have found a position that allows them to work longer hours with less discomfort.

Maybe as another benefit with this thread we can talk about other elements of a trim station people have experimented with and found beneficial. I use an old dry erase board thats about 2'x3' because its super easy to move from room to room and kind of keeps the mess in one spot. I keep a rubbermaid soup container to throw finished buds in and then dump it into a brown paper bag when its full. Also keep a grocery bag next to me to put in trimmings. I try to keep a candle next to me to clean the scissors every hour or so, and of course we have the radio going all day. I've also found that a game of madden every few hours helps to break up the monotony! So lets here it everyone, what is your ideal trim station like?

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that "an unjust law is no law at all""

Freedom begins between the ears
coldcanna is offline Quote

Old 09-29-2016, 08:59 PM #2
cough_cough_eer
Anita Bonghitt

cough_cough_eer has disabled reputation
A lazy-boy chair is nice.
Arm rest for sure

Why is it that rich people are concidered eccentric and poor people are just wierd????
cough_cough_eer is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:09 PM #3
EsterEssence

EsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to allEsterEssence is a name known to all
I use the boxes off the plastic wrapped cases of drinks, one to trim over, and one for the buds. Three paper bags, one for trim, stems, and little buds. the box contains the crystals that fall off. I hang my buds for a few days then trim them. I tumble the shake, and use the stems as kindling for the wood stove...

Old 09-30-2016, 06:49 PM #4
RedBeardy5

RedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura about
the key is posture, I used to get these headaches where I could not even think. I raised my table up so im not looking down but straight forward. I also use a office/computer chair so I can adjust the height and roll around easy. Don't round your shoulder and keep your head up.
RedBeardy5 is offline Quote

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:52 PM #5
810FireFarm

810FireFarm has a spectacular aura about810FireFarm has a spectacular aura about810FireFarm has a spectacular aura about810FireFarm has a spectacular aura about
table or office desk and adjustable office chair with a trim bin on the table/desk

you still have to move around time to time because we are alive and cant be statues
810FireFarm is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2016, 06:54 PM #6
810FireFarm

810FireFarm has a spectacular aura about810FireFarm has a spectacular aura about810FireFarm has a spectacular aura about810FireFarm has a spectacular aura about
if you take smaller sections at a time it gives you an excuse to get up and grab a few more every so often
810FireFarm is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2016, 07:08 PM #7
caljim
I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.

caljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to allcaljim is a name known to all
Standing on cushoined floor mats, work table made from old 6 lamp t5 fixture cardboard box set across two 40 gal rubber trash cans provides good height.

The key to better trimming stamina, for me, is good posture and core strength. Keeping your arms out up and in front of you and trimming is very simmilar to texting a lot. It puts a stain on your neck and shoulders, you start hyper extending the back as you get tired.

Trimming sucks..., lots of breaks and stretching with the promise of cold beer at the end of the day.
caljim is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:44 PM #8
coldcanna

coldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to allcoldcanna is a name known to all
Thanks for all the input. I totally agree posture and body position are the key here. The 2 things that stood out as I've experimented are that the closer your work platform is to eye level there is less strain on your neck and back. I found this by using a regular kitchen chair at a breakfast bar and it was more comfortable than most other options. Second, sitting in general for long periods of time is inherently unhealthy. I'm going to build a bar/workbench that comes up to my chest level and see if this does the trick. I encourage people to keep sharing, its always cool to pick up small tricks and keep your game progressing.

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that "an unjust law is no law at all""

Freedom begins between the ears
coldcanna is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 PM #9
_tessarecting

_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future
Trim bin and 100 pushups a day

Old 09-30-2016, 10:01 PM #10
TreehouseJ

I set timers for everything. I was asked to see a specialized therapist regarding my "ADHD" awhile back and this was really the only good advice I felt he ever gave me. 45 minutes work and 15 minutes play, or I can get too hyper focused and aggravate my sciatica or start going a little postal after 15-16 hours of trimming.

My late god-father would always yell at people to stop reading or working in the dark, and was always quick to drag over a foot rest for all of his guests. I try and keep the tradition alive, since nobody seems to understand just how straining it is on the eyes to try and focus in poor lighting, or the many benefits of elevating your legs..

Also, WANT..

Despite finding pictures of various gaming seats like this one.. I can't actually find any being sold. In retrospect this thing seems pretty ridiculous, lol. Time to re-medicate and think of more fantastical bs.

Last edited by TreehouseJ; 09-30-2016 at 10:51 PM..

3 members found this post helpful.