What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Static electricity and kif.

G

Hi. I haven't tried this yet, but I was wondering if anyone thinks this would work, or if it's totally useless. I tend to feel both ways.

Anyway..I was reading something about how some sandwich and ziplock bags have a static charge to them that tends to pull the resin from the bud and stick to the bag(sometimes fusing to it). Does anyone think this may work on a metal surface or something? Like running static through a metal plate, or a balloon rubbed on my hair or something(haha)? The kif already tends to stick to surfaces anyway when well broken up. Anyway...just figured I'd throw it out there for you guys. Thanks.

Last edited:
G

bubble man's done it with much success. i think he said they used a screen with a glass/metal catching tray and used a balloon to get the static electric charge going underneath and that it would "suck down" the kif, like the vacuum cleaner trick.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Yeah it works.My okief tumbler comes with a vinyl catching insert that you can charge with a balloon ,and as the pollen hits it it separates pretty well. I learned this by sheer accident

G

That's great. I've got to get to work on one. A little homemade one to play around with. Maybe something like a stashbox, but with the static charge on top, and close to but not touching the herb.
I'm kind of dissapointed though. I mean, I admit that I didn't research the forums for this(like i should have), but I didn't expect that it would've already been done. Oh well..I'll see what I can come up with.

Sleestak

Figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new static thread.

Looking for any input from people who have experimented w/static. Is it at all feasible as means to further refine sift? The contaminant particulates (say that 3x fast) are so tiny in 'pure' kif that I'd think they'd just stick to the trich heads and pretty much whatever else good stuff the static attracts.

Does static have anything over good ole freeze n card?

bubble man's done it with much success. i think he said they used a screen with a glass/metal catching tray and used a balloon to get the static electric charge going underneath and that it would "suck down" the kif, like the vacuum cleaner trick.

Any input bubbleman?

bubbleman

Veteran
well let me try to explain what it was that i was doing.
I am not talking about cleaning dry sift using static like rubbing a ballon on your head and then gently moving the balloon over top of the spread thin dry sift .
I am talking about using a metal framed screen, with a plexi glass catch underneath> The plexi is key as it holds the charge.
You can charge up the metal frame, with the smallest amount of electricity, and this creates a static charge within the frame.
I dont exactly understand it, but the static creates patterns that are invisible to the eye, but as the dry sift falls thru the screen, the invisible static charge, collects the gland heads in small little mountainous piles, where as the contaminant, cystolith hairs and capitate stalks, etc, are shot outside these little piles, and create little circles around each pile.
I had photos of this from some time ago, but i have nooooo idea, where on my terrabyte harddrive they are, IF i find the pattern sh ots of the dry sift i will post them here.
But basicaly the little piles were very white, and melty, and the circular patterns around the piles were like smoking bowls of capitate stalks, burns like paper and gives no high.

My two cents.

Bubble man

Sleestak

Sman sounded like he was working on something automated,, who knows maybe it does involve static. What bubbleman said is very intriguing to me either way. Wish I had a metal frame screen on hand. Wonder if plexi would hold enough charge to form the piles n rings on its own?

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Food for thought. If you are using a vinyl sleeve or plexi glass, what will actually seperate is the small hairs and particles. It's the small particles that will be pulled by static from the good stuff

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As trichomes have a narrow band of size and mass would seperateing dry material with variable static voltage and distance between plates be a useable method ?
Passing dry sieve over a charged baloon attracted tiny hairs and trichome stems to it but not whole trichomes , maybe a higher voltage potential would do this.
If a specific voltage could catch and hold the exact mass of an individual trichome then its just a design problem to sort out.

Have an electrostatic precipitator at work that seems to do it this way but with no seperation of particle size.
Could be an industrial machine on the market that does it already possibly in mineing or environmental control.

"If a specific voltage could catch and hold the exact mass of an individual trichome then its just a design problem to sort out."

Ya, maybe, but it isn't "just a design problem" i think. For my understanding, it is impossible to have a machine, that creates 100% pure kief.

For a working engine you have to adjust an equilibrium between the "attracting forces" and the "repelling forces" in this way, that only the dirt is being attracted and the resinheads are kinda repelled (better: unattracted, cause repelling and attracting forces are equal - in equilibrium. In an equilibrium there are no effective forces working, therefore nothing happens). The attracting force may be the electrostatic force F. [the following sentence is not necessary for understanding] F increases if the charge of the attracted particle increases, if the charge of the attracting particle (our "engine") increases and if the displacement between the attracted and the attracting charge gets shorter. The "repelling forces" in this case would be the mass inertia and static friction to the material it lays on. The higher the mass, the lower the attraction. So far so good, that is why we actually can separate to a distinct grade. But now there is the critical point. First we have to know the masses and charges of all of the participating particles to adjust an equilibrium that will force the dirt and only the dirt to adhere on our "engine" letting the pure kief untouched - which is merely impossible to know. But we can adjust by trial and error as for instance Bubbleman has done.
But second, the masses and charges probably differ. And if there is some dirt weighing heavier/being less charged than the resinheads it will only be attracted if the lower weighing/the higher charged heads are already attracted and thus removed. This is why we probably won't get 100% pure kief with this method.

What you can do (and I'm sure some of you already've done so) is to purify the kief to a distinct grade, where only small (small = light) particles are present and then use this method to further purify.
There still is the problem, that I don't know if lower weighing particles are less charged. Don't know how charge and mass are correlated, if they are. Maybe a physician can chime in and teach me :)

Because i am not teached physics in english I cannot absolutely guarantee the correctness of my words. But the conclusion i draw might me true.

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just got some 50 micron steel mesh and want to sift thru it and try to clean w static, anyone done this or have an actual METHOD, im all ears!!

pip313

if your cleaning step is seperate from your extraction step then why so small of a screen? many good resin glands are bigger than 50 micron.

I am currently building a static electric cabinet "oven" to test its effectiveness. With a little luck i will end up with what the pics in the 99.9999 thread and giiving a big fu to sam the skunkman and his secret method. Secrets dont make friends sharing does.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
definitely something worth testing.

Can't wait to see how the progress goes on this.

Dry sift is my favorite as I don't like tossing bubble or tane into my lungs or stomach if at all possible.