What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terrible, just terrible dimemna ;-)

dddaver

Veteran
I have grown in my real small cab for 10 years. Just 150W HPS for flower and LED UFO to veg. 100% organic and excellent weed. I mix amendments and reuse soil. I got it pretty much dialed. I like knowing exactly what I'm ingesting. But I hung up my jock in April. I have a cerebral dysfunction, NO balance, and degenerative disk disease and a spinal stenosis to top it off. The labor got too intense.

I never got huge yields anyway. But don't need much. Only a zip or two per grow. And I did have fresh outside air coming into the cab and vented out with a Vortex in line fan.

I was hoping FL MMJ would happen. It was passed by a huge overwhelming majority (71.32%) but the program they set up is really crap. If you are curious google the FL Dept of Health.

So I want to grow again. I can upgrade to a dimmable digital ballast for 250W dual (HPS and MH), a 2'x 3' x 5' tent, a cool tube and adjustable hanging lanyard things for it all, and even some cloth bags the for pots, all for <$200 on ebay. I want to keep the fan. It works good albeit kinda loud.

So I wanna grow again. But I need help. I have always been very careful and keep my mouth shut, only my kids knew I grew. And I told them to never mention it, to ANYONE, and I emphasized that.And live rurally. I can't even see the nearest house. So I was never worried about the smell or anything. And really doubt any DA could ever convict any sick little old man trying to grow some medicine for himself anyway.

But a woman I am seeing said she wants to help set it up. If it was just me, I can handle it. But putting someone else in jeopardy is different.

She says she'd just say she just helped me and had no idea what I was going to grow.

But my dilemma is knowing, and reading about how women can be different that way, in dropping a dime on me to "get me back" for something. Guys won't do that. That's going to far.

And she also has worked at Target for 22 years. Getting legally messed up could really screw her. She's at that age where they will use any excuse to can her ass so they don't have to pay any retirement. I think she got that one-one matching 401k retirement from them.

Not much of a dilemma really I know. Fuck FL for doing this to sick people.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Tell her "No, but thanks" and explain the Target, etc. part. I wouldn't mention the stuff about women getting back at men. You've "found" an alternative supply, no need to bother.

Then firmly resist any action on her part to get involved - share no details, offer no "tours", decline any conversation re: how/where/when.

Or get another lady & don't make the same error again, IMHO. Pandora's box has been opened, can't go back.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agree with OT. Very few people you can trust.

Do it on your own....keep it simple and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let her know you are growing!!!! Just say, "yeah, I appreciate your willingness to help, but decided not to grow". And leave it at that!!!!! People (esp. in romantic hook ups) get taken down all the time. Doesn't have anything to do with where she works.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Sorry to hear about your health issues dd...I didn't realize you had it so bad..

I hope you can manage to get your closet up and running again...
whatever it is that's making it too physically demanding, just try to figure a way to make it easier...
ie: if soil and water are too heavy to carry, try making a rolling dolly to move them around with.

I wouldn't get your lady friend involved, for all the reasons you mentioned.. Ask your sons to come over now and then for the heavy stuff.

It is nice living where you can't see your closest neighbor's house!

Take care and good luck....:)

seeded

Never ever bring up differences between genders with women that paint them in a negative light. I know you say you aren't in the best health but that's straight up suicide :laughing:

Instead you need to buy her a spa package or something else that says I love you for being so supportive now get out of the house for half a day. Tell her you'll get the kids over to for the day so there's nothing to worry about, just go and enjoy herself and you'll have dinner ready when she comes back. When she leaves do a bit of show and tell about your pet project, explain the realities of finishing it yourself and then get to work.

When she gets back keep the day about her by making that dinner one of her favourites. Women say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach but it's really the opposite so drill that meal into her asap and apologize for finishing the grow without her while she's got a mouthful of food. Get one of the kids to take the blame a little by saying they forced their assistance on you and by the time she can talk again all will be forgiven :laughing:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Since you live near no one, can you not just have your sons prep some outdoor sites in areas that you can deny are yours and then harvest what you need? You should be able to keep them well hidden especially if you only need a small amount.

Firstly I think the minimum to grow with is a 400 watter.

So if you have back problems then maybe raise the grow space up so you dont have to bend down to tend your plants.

But I agree with Limey, put you sons to work and make them dig an outdoor grow site, away from your house, and that will give you way more smoke than you can smoke in a year.

dddaver

Veteran
Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, I agree. I have already told her thanks, but no thanks.

I think I might try the outdoor thing next summer. I already have a good spot on my 5 acres picked out that's not visible from any road or neighbor's prying eyes. And have some haze seeds that you just can't grow inside. Sativas will thrive down here, I bet. .

I have a buddy who harvested over 1 1/2 libs from one 7' bush last year. I'm so jelly.

I plan to start the sprouts inside under a cfl, dig a hole or 2 (should be easy, light, sandy soil), pour in my soil mix, sprinkle around some of my haircut clippings so the human scent keeps some of the animals away, plant, water some, and hope for the best.

If anyone hasn't tried using black strap molasses in your water, DO IT. The plants love it, or rather the microbial herd in the soil does. And then shits gold. :biggrin:

But the best thing, is rule #1. Never tell anyone you grow. EVER. My son-in-law just found it in my closet once when he was looking around for a fuse box for that side of the house. And I had left the door of the cabinet in there open a crack. Besides seeing all that dryer vent hose running all around. So I had to spill the beans. DOH!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good man. Unless married, or in long time committed, best to not borrow trouble.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Would it be possible to do a closet with perilte, cocoa, or hydroton on a flood tray?

Just need a tray from Walmart and a tote for a res and a fish tank pump.

That way the watering would be done on a timer. You could rig the pump from your bathtub to the res for weekly changes. Your work load would be putting the plants in, and changing res once a week.

You would easily have a few z's off of a 250 or go cfl's.

A two by two tray with 4 plants?

Sorry to hear about your health problems and the shitty state of the state of Florida.

Daver, I was under the impression that Seamaiden was your partner.

But as I have posted before, you have a couple of boys, give them a spade and show them where to dig.

Make it a decent outdoor, enough for the next two years, in case the next years crop fails.

Just expect your sons to show their buddies the grow, and expect they will pull leaves off them to smoke.

That's what boys so.

I have a jar of Afghani; I would just give you some but I think you are in another country.

If I lived nearby I would drive over and give you some.

Maybe if there is some IC magger who lives in Florida can come and help our brother DDaver out?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
dd dave,,,,
i think you made the right move,,,,
if the grow ever went "pear shaped" resulting in the lady losing her retirement income then i imagine she is gonna come straight back to you plus partners or whatever you may call them? dont seem to work in our thing imo,,,,,,
done the right thing mate,,avoid,,,,,s2:tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry to hear of your health issues dddaver.
I was going to suggest the same as silentfeet & say maybe a cool cat from ic may give a hand.

I bet you'd make a good mentor as well. :biggrin:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dave , sorry to hear about your ailments !!! i also didn't realize you were that bad off .

but to try & help with your dilemma , check out this thread . i ran a cabinet alot like this when i first got started . its pretty easy to set up & maintain . for what you need you could do 1 plant in a 2 gallon bucket & have enough to keep you happy for quite awhile .

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21514

good luck dude & i hope you get something figured out :tiphat:

dddaver

Veteran
I decided to try a small outdoor this year, back in a corner of my land, away from prying eyes. Shaded after mid-day in the summer. Really small, maybe 3' x 3' and start 6 seedlings under CFL inside first.

My gilfriend has agreed to dig up the small area, then will be out. Won't know what I'm doing. Then I'll pour in some of my soil mix that I use indoors, spread around some of my hair clippings to deter animals, and probably pee around some too. I just read Irish Spring soap cut up in chunks hung in cheesecloth pouches stapled on stakes, is a good rabbit and deer deterrent. Actually anything with tallow in it that has been rendered from animal fat works. Then I'll bug spay the plants with neem oil and dish detergent in water to kill the pests. I also use black strap molasseses in the waterings which feeds the microbial herd.

Growing is addicting. :biggrin:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I hope it all works out for you man.

It always seems ridiculous the hoops people have to jump thru, and the associated paranoia and stress that comes with what you have to do to find some relief from what ails you.

dddaver

Veteran
I hope it all works out for you man.

It always seems ridiculous the hoops people have to jump thru, and the associated paranoia and stress that comes with what you have to do to find some relief from what ails you.

DUDE, after what you went through? Preach brother. Thanks man. You too.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would avoid putting the hair clippings (DNA FINGERPRINT) in your plot.

You know...
Just in case...

Plausible deny-ability n all...

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Reminds me of a conversation my friend had with LEO last year-

"Tell me something I don't know, and I will confiscate this and not arrest you." He was street smart--said nothing, arrested and later released. Following month the DA dropped all charges.

Moral of the story--best friends have been known to snitch on each other when threatened with "loss of their freedom" (aka incarceration).

Your safety chain is as strong as the weakest link.