What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Johnny Boone, 'Cornbread Mafia' fugitive found in Canada after nearly a decade

R

Robrites

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Ky. (WDRB) -- The kingpin of the largest American marijuana production in history has been caught after nearly a decade on the run.
The U.S. Marshals Service says it found Washington County, Kentucky, fugitive Johnny Boone in Canada.
Boone is the ringleader of what many call "the Cornbread Mafia." He ran 30 pot farms across Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and Wisconsin.
In 1987, Boone was arrested with 90 tons of drugs on a farm in Minnesota.
"Johnny did about 15 years, got out and was an ex-convict," author of Cornbread Mafia, James Higdon, said. "This is one of the most intelligent men I've ever met."
Higdon lives in Louisville and is the only reporter Boone has talked to about his illicit business. Higdon says the word "mafia" is used only because the black market operation was well-run and tight-lipped.
"This was not an inherently violent group. They're not running protection rackets or extortion," Higdon said.
In fact, Higdon says people who know 73-year-old Johnny Boone think highly of him. He says that became a problem for authorities when he left the country nearly a decade ago. Higdon says Boone was considered to be a type of "Robin Hood" -- and no one who knew him was talking.
"Every fugitive has someone who doesn't like them or is willing to rat them out, but Johnny Boone wasn't one," Higdon said.
Boone disappeared when he was found with 2,000 marijuana plants on his Kentucky farm.
After nearly 10 years, he was arrested Thursday when information led the U.S. Marshals to a small town outside of Montreal.
Higdon says the Cornbread Mafia has forever changed the landscape of the war on drugs.
"The scope and scale these guys have operated, you can't really do anymore," Higdon said.
Boone is charged with the manufacture and possession with intent to manufacture and distribute marijuana. It's his third federal case and if he's convicted, he could face life in prison.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/34123704/cornbread-mafia-fugitive-found-in-canada-after-nearly-a-decade

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a damn shame. An older guy possibly dying in prison for the crime of farming.

Mafia describes the DEA and much of the 'justice' system at this point.

63or63

So sorry to hear that they finally caught up with Mr. Boone after all these years. I thoroughly enjoyed and recommend Higdon's written work, 'Cornbread Mafia'. A riveting, informative, and quick read for anyone with any interest in Cannabis cultivation, a lesson on how to handle oneself and of the most importance a great lesson on Omertà. I'd bet this story's ending began the same as many a great runs came to an end, with "the bitch went crazy." You've been an inspiration to many Mr. Boone. Keep fighting the good fight. The shows must go on.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
horrible news.

@63or63 do you know if its possible to view any of the photos mentioned in the book anywhere?

Gry

What an utter waste of both time and resources. What a bunch of jackasses.

budchopper

his story is i true,read the book.i wish him well.another waste of tax payers money..we need
people like him teaching us how to grow large plots..

t99

Veteran
I think it goes to the petition drive. Not sure if there's a fund site set up yet, I found the petition through a Google search. If you find anything else let us know