What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dankwolfs rks breeding project and breeding info discussion

Medfinder

Chemon 91
i remember the first time i smelled RKS.

Me and a fried scored some of that anza skunk in riverside county.

the next year it made the papers when the county sheriffs had no problem finding the patch because of the smell and putting the photos in the news paper.

2 years later humboldt county had loads of skunk nug

highsteppa

Veteran
I remember in high school when a buddy brought a triple bagged eighth in for another friend. Its amazing he didn't get busted because the weed in his locker stunk out a lot of the upper level of the school. It was stronger than anything we'd smoked before and was coming in from a local waitress whose brother was the guitar player in national touring heavy metal band. Unfortunately Northern lights replaced it (which was very good too) and we only had it for a short time.

Dankwolf

I remember in high school when a buddy brought a triple bagged eighth in for another friend. Its amazing he didn't get busted because the weed in his locker stunk out a lot of the upper level of the school. It was stronger than anything we'd smoked before and was coming in from a local waitress whose brother was the guitar player in national touring heavy metal band. Unfortunately Northern lights replaced it (which was very good too) and we only had it for a short time.

Nl #5 replaced it

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran

We stunk up my high school for years. One time a guy comes up to me and my buddy smoking a skunk joint at 8 am, and he says man the minute i opened the school door by the office, about 200-300 feet from where we were he could smell it, so he thought he should let us know, and for that he got a toke :)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
In before the bin, lol

I culled all my skunk males from a seed lot from 1979,
kept the lone female because who keeps males, lol

That was a few years ago and now am tweaking some
F2's of a cross.

Fucking takes forever.

PDX Dopesmoker

I was talking to a really sophisticated expert in the field of cannabis floristry last night and he mentioned to me that he has different favorites for growing indoors versus out because flavor profiles depend to some extent on the growth environment.
Do any of the experienced RKS growers here have any strong opinions on if it needs to be grown indoor or out to have the right nose appeal?

PDX Dopesmoker

It doesn't. We grew it indoor for many years, and outdoor. outdoor, giant ball plants with hundreds of tops.

Thats interesting and important info. I had one Headband cross outside last summer that had a nice strong RKS stink on the "third world bus depot diesel exhaust"/"burnt rubber" side when it was a living plant, but in the jar it is dead boring bland; low odor, low flavor, etc. Nice yielder tho, except it yields kinda shitty bud so I'm stuck smoking two jars of "the bland" instead of one.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Reminds me of selfed skunk seeds, circa 1985. I recall like 8 distinct phenos. None were as nice as the mother skunk, but some yielded better, although very bland.

igrowone

Veteran
i do see the odd mention of burnt rubber
to me, that's about the worst possible plant odor/flavor
i know because i did have a plant that had a burnt rubber flavor
fucking hideous imho, threw the crap into my woodstove
it was strong in effect, but nothing i wanted to mess with

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
We never got that impression. Its like a skunk dead on the road, but not overly aged, just fresh with mercaptans. Also skunk cabbage is vaguely reminiscent too, similar. Never like burnt rubber. However I saw a unrelated plant that smelled just like glue recently, kind of like rubber, kind if yucky.

troutman

Seed Whore
To have the best odors you need to have real soil chemistry going on and in the outdoors
it will be easier to achieve. I find outdoor plants smell stronger and nicer as well. Using only
organic nutrients will help a lot.

:tiphat:

bestothebest

Yeah skunk cabbage is right. If you ever get sprayed by a skunk, it is overpoweringly sulfur. what you want is the smell a few hours after one gets hit on a road. If you cant get that easily, go find some skunk cabbage, and break it, then smell.

troutman

Seed Whore
Yeah skunk cabbage is right. If you ever get sprayed by a skunk, it is overpoweringly sulfur. what you want is the smell a few hours after one gets hit on a road. If you cant get that easily, go find some skunk cabbage, and break it, then smell.

Forget about Roadkill Kill Skunk. How about a Stressed Out Live Skunk? :laughing:

As a kid I had to use tomato juice one time. One of my brothers is a fur trapper and he caught a skunk
in a fox trap. It was still alive and he had to let it loose. Talk about a death stench. You could smell it
from a good 300 meters away and I laughed when my brother was swearing for it to stop spraying as he
released it. I stood over 100 meters away and I still had to use tomato juice. My mother brought us the
tomato juice and told us to use the garden hose prior to coming in.

I have yet to experience any plant smell that strong.

Lime Green

A little caution on burnt rubber phenotypes, it can be a temporary scent that precedes a citrus note in finished flowers. I've had a few that were like that early, say 30-45 days, and then that horrible funk morphed into a citrus type smell.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Forget about Roadkill Kill Skunk. How about a Stressed Out Live Skunk? :laughing:

As a kid I had to use tomato juice one time. One of my brothers is a fur trapper and he caught a skunk
in a fox trap. It was still alive and he had to let it loose. Talk about a death stench. You could smell it
from a good 300 meters away and I laughed when my brother was swearing for it to stop spraying as he
released it. I stood over 100 meters away and I still had to use tomato juice. My mother brought us the
tomato juice and told us to use the garden hose prior to coming in.

I have yet to experience any plant smell that strong.

Thats the thing, its been shown that the skunk plant and skunk the animal both produce thiol compounds, which breakdown to from mercaptans. You know how stinky they are, in ppb we can detect them. I'd imagine live spraying skunk is creating far more than a skunk plant can in a very short time, but its the same thing i've heard, and it makes complete sense.