What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.

Mystic Funk

Done!:biggrin: and no you don't win anything, i'll just name the method after you. LOL!

Thanks Mystic, and very cool of you to offer.

Now I feel like a patron in a restaurant, ordering a steak this way or that, instead of having to take the responsibility of risking burning it, or not. :biggrin:

I'm thinking the first step would be scuffing, very gently along the ridge of the seed's husk/shell. Maybe a fine grit emery paper?

Then the H2O2 3% (diluted 1:10 with distilled H2O) bath for 3-4 hours.

Then a weak GA-3 solution at 50 ppm with distilled H2O (as in, very light) with a couple drops of Super Thrive Vitamin B, either over-night, or ~12 hours..

Then the bubbler as described in the recent post

Then a -very- light (minimal) dusting, like a wisp of powder of Hormex, Clonex, Rootone, or other half-decent rooting powder on either a damp paper towel, or in the immediate area around the planted seed in a soilless sprouting mix such as earth worm castings with Pro-Mix, etc.

Does that sound too convoluted?

In your opinion, can some of what I put forth be combined into fewer steps?

Lastly, if it works, do I win something special?? :biggrin: Fame? Fortune? :biggrin:

M

moose eater

The moose method?? I can live with that. (*You can put your name under mine on the spiral notebook cover... That's fair. :biggrin: We can split the grant money down the middle, though.. :biggrin:)

I once discovered a previously unknown/unidentified parasitic worm-like critter in the spine of a black bear I'd shot about 30 years ago, and the parasitologists/biologists at ADF&G just happened to be headed to a conference in Calgary shortly after. They said they'd take the limited samples I gave them there for discussion, with the possibility of my having a parasite named after myself..

Not all that attractive of an idea when you stop and think about it.

In the end, they told me that there was insufficient sample remaining for proper categorizing or I.D. Probably a good thing.. Something else I'd have had to live down over time. :)

Anyway, good luck. I'm looking forward to the outcome. If it 'flies,' then I can move forth without as much concern re. toasting the last of the seeds in question.

M

moose eater

Any uncontrollable giant tap-roots creeping out of hulls yet in the wee hours of the night, strangling passers-by, abducting kittens, or taking food out of the refrigerator when you're not looking?

We're looking for an end result named 'Seymour' that the villagers run from.

Thought I'd check....:biggrin:

herbgreen

Veteran
Anyone heard of using fulvic acid ? In place of dsmo? (approx.10ml/per liter)

or Co2 carbonated water..... similar to the bubbler effect?

M

moose eater

Hey, ahortator! I need to apologize for not being able to run streams/video. Maybe one day the local utilities will see fit to bring something out this way that handles connectivity faster than 56k dial-up (mine is technically less than that, but that's what they call it). I wish I could view your link. Maybe one day, or when I find myself in front of someone else's screen with a better connectivity.

And maybe it's all in my head, or maybe someone has taken an interest in my internet surfing that doesn't appreciate me, but my connection speed is even slower (as though anyone thought that was a possibility) since the change in net neutrality the other day...

I'm back to being an internet serf, rather than surfing the internet.

I also need to thank you for turning me on to this thread. Without the 'road signs' I'd still be scuffing, soaking in H2O with a single drop of bleach, then watching as the seeds deteriorate at a high rate of speed..

Hopefully the process I more or less pasted together in my head will work. Waiting to hear back from Mystic, telling me I'm the proud surrogate poppa of vintage Mexican heirloom plants.. Or at least an honorary God Poppa.

Probably ought to buy some cigars for that moment, just to be ready.. But I don't smoke cigars.. Not even blunts. Guess I could give them away? :biggrin:
------------------------------------
herbgreen, I've never heard of the fulvic acid substitute for DMSO, but as outlined in my comments to ahortator in this post, this whole reviving ancient seeds thing has me as a novice for the most part. Though I've killed some valuable heirloom seeds with the best of them. :biggrin:

Mystic Funk

hey guys!
i'm working on the DMSO germination bomb now and i'm just waiting to see what the results are so i don't have to write multiple posts and confuse people on what the results were for each test.
i'm just as excited as you guys are too see how it turns out. i've been waiting a long time to free up some space and time to test this method out!

just to let you know, i've already got a few to pop and i'm just waiting on a total number for each and i'll give you a update.

peace!
-mystic

ahortator

Veteran
Hey, ahortator! I need to apologize for not being able to run streams/video. Maybe one day the local utilities will see fit to bring something out this way that handles connectivity faster than 56k dial-up (mine is technically less than that, but that's what they call it). I wish I could view your link. Maybe one day, or when I find myself in front of someone else's screen with a better connectivity.

And maybe it's all in my head, or maybe someone has taken an interest in my internet surfing that doesn't appreciate me, but my connection speed is even slower (as though anyone thought that was a possibility) since the change in net neutrality the other day...

I'm back to being an internet serf, rather than surfing the internet.

I also need to thank you for turning me on to this thread. Without the 'road signs' I'd still be scuffing, soaking in H2O with a single drop of bleach, then watching as the seeds deteriorate at a high rate of speed..

Hopefully the process I more or less pasted together in my head will work. Waiting to hear back from Mystic, telling me I'm the proud surrogate poppa of vintage Mexican heirloom plants.. Or at least an honorary God Poppa.

Probably ought to buy some cigars for that moment, just to be ready.. But I don't smoke cigars.. Not even blunts. Guess I could give them away? :biggrin:
------------------------------------
herbgreen, I've never heard of the fulvic acid substitute for DMSO, but as outlined in my comments to ahortator in this post, this whole reviving ancient seeds thing has me as a novice for the most part. Though I've killed some valuable heirloom seeds with the best of them. :biggrin:

Hi, the video is from a Scary Movie scene where happens what you told before.

scary-movie-marijuana-o.gif

About the thread I would like to know if I can get DMSO from any pharmacy? Is it sold as eye drops?

Mystic Funk

View Image

About the thread I would like to know if I can get DMSO from any pharmacy? Is it sold as eye drops?

it's not approved for use on humans but it is for livestock, so you can buy it by the bottle at most feed store for around $8 dollars. it come ether liquid, gel and wipes i believe. i bought the liquid stuff.

peace!
-mystic

M

moose eater

View Image

Outa rep.

Figured it was something like that. Thanks for the translation. :biggrin:

M

moose eater

it's not approved for use on humans but it is for livestock, so you can buy it by the bottle at most feed store for around $8 dollars. it come ether liquid, gel and wipes i believe. i bought the liquid stuff.

peace!
-mystic

Some used it in the 70s and 80s to administer everything from speed to coke to hallucinogens on areas of the skin where veins/arteries were close to the surface and accessible (i.e., wrists, etc.).

But when you think about it, potentially, any atmospheric contaminants present during that simple process, are likely being carried too.

Once cleaned a 1964 Ford carburetor with Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Made it look new in seconds; literally. Minimal remaining snow in the ditches was still melting from winter, later spring or so, and I went from healthy to one of the worst cases of flu I ever had in under an hour or so.... My suspicion was that it was likely a result of bacteria in the air near the wet ditch in front of my cabin, where I was doing the work; no respiratory protection for the airborne carrier/volatiles and (likely) the local, naturally-occurring, but dense-in-population bacteria/fungus, etc.

It's been my assessment since that 'carriers' should be used in relatively safe, clean environments. :tiphat:

herbgreen

Veteran

peace!
-mystic

I think this is why I heard about Fulvic Acid being used...

DSMO may work better... with no ill effects...this is the question

FulvicAcid is an approved for human consumption product

It might not matter one way or another

Mystic Funk

Some used it in the 70s and 80s to administer everything from speed to coke to hallucinogens on areas of the skin where veins/arteries were close to the surface and accessible (i.e., wrists, etc.).

But when you think about it, potentially, any atmospheric contaminants present during that simple process, are likely being carried too.

Once cleaned a 1964 Ford carburetor with Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Made it look new in seconds; literally. Minimal remaining snow in the ditches was still melting from winter, later spring or so, and I went from healthy to one of the worst cases of flu I ever had in under an hour or so.... My suspicion was that it was likely a result of bacteria in the air near the wet ditch in front of my cabin, where I was doing the work; no respiratory protection for the airborne carrier/volatiles and (likely) the local, naturally-occurring, but dense-in-population bacteria/fungus, etc.

It's been my assessment since that 'carriers' should be used in relatively safe, clean environments. :tiphat:

I think this is why I heard about Fulvic Acid being used...

DSMO may work better... with no ill effects...this is the question

FulvicAcid is an approved for human consumption product

It might not matter one way or another

from what i read, DMSO is non-toxic but it's what's in the fine print is where it can be dangerous. like how it pulls other chemicals into your body with it.
whenever i'm handling dangerous chemicals like this i always ware safety gear.
for example, i have a home CBD/THC test that i like to make and one of the chemicals used is hydrochloric acid. one drop of that on your skin would burn you very bad.

@herbgreen
i'll have to go back and look at the other tests i've done but i believe i've already done some tests with fulvic acid?
what would you like me to do with it? just substitute for the DMSO in the germination bomb???

peace!
-mystic

M

moose eater

You keep on being so generous to us like this, Mystic, letting us sit back & observe as you toil away in your efforts, and you'll soon earn the title of saint or monk of the heirloom seed germination world.

May have to change you handle here soon.

St. Mystic ;^>)

herbgreen

Veteran
@herbgreen
i'll have to go back and look at the other tests i've done but i believe i've already done some tests with fulvic acid?
what would you like me to do with it? just substitute for the DMSO in the germination bomb???

peace!
-mystic

Yeah ,maybe.... the fulvic acid @ 10ml per liter (was from a germination guide from someone with old seeds)

Or you could even try the bomb w/carbonated spring water

Probably a bunch of combos you could try in there ...

liquid seaweed 1:4 w/water and/or superthrive as was said earlier

It would be interesting to see if the DSMO is better than nothing

ANd if Fulvic Acid was better or the same as DSMO

As long as you are running an experiment...

Thanks!

This conversation is reminding me of a man I knew, now departed, who about 10 years ago used to tout DMSO and ephedrine as some type of poor man's version of meth. Yep, I just googled it and apparently it is a thing.

Mystic Funk

Germination bomb

Germination bomb

The germination bomb is a germination method that uses pressurized air from a fish tank aerator and bubbles it through your choice of nutrient solution that best suits your needs. The thought behind this method is that it will force the solution under pressure into the hard seed hull at a faster rate or in my case, it will rehydrate very old dried out seeds that have lost the strength to push a tap root out of the seed hull.
I will be testing this method with my very own Vintage Mexican seeds and I will try many solutions to find out what works best.
One of or many of the nutrient solutions used, will contain a chemical known as “DMSO” or “Dimethyl sulfoxide”. This product has the ability to penetrate or be absorbed down into the very cells of an organism without harming the cell or cell’s membrane. It also has the ability to pull other compounds in with it.

DMSO is classified as nontoxic, but great caution is needed when using this product. Like what was stated before: it has the ability to penetrate the skin or tissue very easily and it will bring chemicals that are present with it or on the skin into your body. That could lead to you being poisoned by anything that you came in contact with. So rubber gloves are needed when using DMSO! Also don’t get DMSO in your eyes; it can be very harmful and damaging to the eye, so you should wear safety glasses when using this product.
!!!Do your own homework regarding to this products hazards and read the full safety sheet before using it!!!

picture.php

Ok!
Things that you’ll need to build the G-bomb:
Glass or plastic jars with screw on lids.
Mid to large sized fish tank air pump
Air hose and tees for hose
Small air stones
Hot glue gun or epoxy glue

1#. Start by drilling one small hole in each of the lids that is just a hair smaller than the air hose being used. This way the hose will fit as tight as possible.
2. Insert hose into lid and leave just enough of the hose sticking out so the stone will just be above the bottom of the jar.
3. Now glue the hose where it meets the lid to seal it up.
4. I changed the original build a little after I made mine for the first time and here’s why: I noticed that once the jar got up to max pressure from the air pump the bubbles stopped all together and I was afraid it would starve the seeds of oxygen, so I added the smallest hole in the top of the lid as I could. I took a pin and heated it up red hot and pushed it through the lid. This way it would still put max pressure into the jar but let a little air out so the stone would continue to bubble and at the same time it would keep everything mixed up and aerated…. Make sense???

picture.php

Here are just some of the recipes I used along with some I made up.
All of these recipes below were PH’d to 6.3 to 6.5; the seeds were then bubbled in the solution for 24 hours and then placed in a rich organic soil mix. 20 seeds were used per recipe.

10 drops of DMSO in plain water…. two seeds sprouted
2. 10 drops of DMSO and 10 drops of B12 in plain water…. three seeds sprouted.
3. 10 drops of DMSO and 10 drops of kelp extract in plain water…. One seed sprouted.
4. 10 drops of DMSO and 10 drops B1 in plain water…. No seeds sprouted yet.
5. 10 drops espoma starter in plain water …. One seed sprouted.
6. 10 drops kelp extract in plain water…. No seeds sprouted yet.
7. 10 drops of B1 in plain water…. No seeds sprouted
It is still somewhat early in this test and I’ve seen old seeds take three weeks or longer to pop above ground so I’ll update the results if anything changes. I’m not done with this test just yet; I have a few more I’d like to test.
I went ahead and re-did all of the recipes above but I put each group of seeds in paper towels instead of the soil just to eliminate any seeds that were buried too deep and to monitor each seed to see how many tails pop out.
I will also document the grow of each plant that does make to the vegetative growth stage.

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

Mystic Funk

Hey Moose!
i haven't forgot about the moose method you'd like me to test, it's just that my O.C.D won't let me start a new method without finishing the G-bomb first that was first on the list. yours is next!

@Herbgreen
i'm pretty sure i have some fulvic left over from last time so i'll give it a go in the G-bomb method. i have a four jar setup so i can do more than one with the fulvic. like 1. fulvic alone, 2. fulvic/B1, 3. fulvic/DMSO 4. fulvic/kelp extract. how's that sound???
i don't think the carbonated water will work i the G-bomg because the air stone will bubble out all the carbonated water very fast. what do you think??? also isn't it bad to starve a seed of oxygen with carbonated water, the bubbles are CO2 in carbonated water. what's the science behind this method???

peace!
-mystic

herbgreen

Veteran
Awesome Set- up

Also, another good glue is silicone glue, it is flexible and waterproof easy to find

Thanks for doing this!

Old Mexican seeds are gonna bring some interesting plants into veg and flower

fingers crossed here

herbgreen

Veteran
@Herbgreen
i'm pretty sure i have some fulvic left over from last time so i'll give it a go in the G-bomb method. i have a four jar setup so i can do more than one with the fulvic. like fulvic alone, fulvic and B1, fulvic and DMSO and fulvic and kelp extract. how's that sound???
i don't think the carbonated water will work i the G-bomg because the air stone will bubble out all the carbonated water very fast. what do you think??? also isn't it bad to starve a seed of oxygen with carbonated water, the bubbles are CO2 in carbonated water. what's the science behind this method???

peace!
-mystic

haha, no science just advice given by someone with old seeds It might be contra to oxygen bubbles or overkill...but i think its the same concept to stimulating some kind of action....Its most likely the same exact concept but with co2...only live plants like co2 eh? Just another thing I ran across lately

Yeah, that sounds great with the fulvic acid

Thanks!