What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Peak Seeds Sweet Skunk? Any Good?

nksv

He mentioned the c99xSS but he reckons the SS is more intense. I'd like to try both tbh! haha. He's out of c99 for now.

bigbadbiddy

He's out of c99 for now.

Bummer, glad I got mine then :D

I germed 5 of his BB. 4 of 5 showed the start of a root when I put them in soil, one of them had a large root in the paper towels already.

Only 2 poked their head out of the soil of which 1 died after a few days. So I am left with 1 of 5. Not so great.
The one that made it was the one with the large root when I took it out of the paper towel.
So I would advise anyone germing these, to let them develop a long and strong root and give them some more time over other strains to do so before transplanting into soil.

He used to say on the website that the BB were tricky to germ and a bit sensitive. When I spoke to him via email he said this needs to be updated as they germ fine now.
Either got an older drop or they are still sensitive and not as easy to germ...

Anyway, have 25 more to go and will pop them in a BB only grow next winter and will be very careful with temps, humidity etc. when doing so as they are, from my experience, not so easy to germ.

The 2 C99 are still going strong, about 35 days into flower now, looking awesome. Pics in my thread in the organic soil section if anyone is interested.

nksv

Cool. I look forward to a smoke report on the c99. I had a 100% germ rate with the northernberry. No dramas at all. Bummer on those BB but I have heard they are a bit tricky. Hope you find some gold, would love to hear how they go when you get round to it.

bigbadbiddy

Well I have the one remaining that will be flowered not too long in the future but for the remaining 25 I think I wait until next winter (want to get them to purple) so the earliest a year from now.

C99 smoke report could be by end of the year. Actually 2 as I have 2 phenos going.

Old Fogey

I purchased most of Mike J's strains for myself and bought Skunk Berry and Sweet Skunk beans for a good friend.

My friend chopped his very first Peak Seeds plant last week, an almost all green pheno (the greenest, selected from 4 females (there were 2 males) found from 6 beans sown) Skunk Berry. He smoked some yesterday when it was barely dry enough to smoke.

He rang me last night and I've never heard him sound so stoned. He is a smoker of 40 years experience and a 10 year indoor grower and he was saying it is some of the strongest pot he's ever come across. I rang him today to see if it was as strong again the next time he imbibed and he said he was too scared to smoke any because he's still stoned from last night. Incredible.

I'm growing Peak's C99 and Kush Northern Lights and Kush Berry at the moment, mainly because I'm still dialing in my closed grow room and growing methods. There are some very interesting genetics to be found in these Kush crosses.

When I have finally dialed everything in I'll be working my way through Peak's Skunk Berry & Northern Skunk to find some stock mothers with solid yield potential before searching through Mike's IBL's Blueberry, Northern Lights and Sweet Skunk for some variety and perhaps some breeding with a D J Short Blueberry I have and a couple of Ace Malawi Gold regular fems I have going but yet to try.

I'm so glad I found good reviews for Peak Seeds because I wouldn't normally send cash through the mail to anyone for anything. But I took the chance (I have ordered again since) and everything worked out just like everyone said it had for them.

First class genetics, great customer service, beautiful plants. What more can I say.

Peace

bigbadbiddy

Yo get your 50 posts and let us compare the C99 by PM!

Here's mine @ ~42 days flower

Attachments

• C99EMain42.jpg
    C99EMain42.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 15
  • C99ECola42.jpg
    C99ECola42.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 15
  • C99ETop42.jpg
    C99ETop42.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 13

Old Fogey

I've just flipped my P1 P2 & P3 C99's yesterday after rebooting and I have 4 seedlings on Day 1 today. I don't have any photos from the original grow, it wasn't the greatest grow anyway. But the Peak Seeds C99's were a standout plant from a fun point of view and I'm hoping that a better grow this time will make for a stronger smoke and better yield.

As everyone always says when discussing C99, I found the branching to be very skinny and the buds to be large. They would definitely require support of some kind if grown any larger than 50cm or so. The rebooted plants I have are well over that height already and I expect a reasonable stretch (but nothing outrageous. I've noticed with Peaks plants that if you veg for a long time they don't stretch a lot after the flip).

When I have them potted up to a larger size and have them settled in and budding up I'll post some pics. The seedlings should have a bit of growth going by then too.

This grow I'm running Peak Seeds Kush Northern Lights, Skunk Berry and C99 from seed with just 15 days veg. Of course, I'll be hoping for some stretch with such a brief veg time. They are under a 250w MH, then they'll go into my room with the C99 parents and 2 x Ace Seeds Malawi regular females I have that are on day 73 from seed at 11.5hrs on 12.5hrs off.

The Malawi got to around 45-55cm, single cola, nice plants that are really fattening up nicely but I have no idea how long they're going to go. I'll just rely on my microscope for that information but I expect another 5-6 weeks will get them close.

Peace

bigbadbiddy

Can confirm that the plants have heavy budding but a bit spindly branches.

I did not support them and vegged for 3 months.

The end result was only that the middle side branches "flipped over" at the end of flower. Did not break or fall off, just turned on their back. I guess a bit longer and they might have broken but fortunately for me they didn't.

Haven't vegged short and compared to long veg but can confirm that the plants didn't stretch all that much after 3 month veg.

Smell-wise I was very disappointed by the 2 C99 phenos I had. They still give off no noticeable smell/aroma aside from hay/grass type. If I rub my fingers after touching some trichomes, I still do get the pronounced and loud weed smell but nothing extraordinary so far.

Growth-wise and also after flowering, it was one of the best looking plants in the garden.

I suppose the smoke test will reveal if it is a keeper or just average.

nksv

I'd be interested in hearing about peak seeds in comparison to malawi: another strain I'm hanging to try.

Old Fogey

I'd be interested in hearing about peak seeds in comparison to malawi: another strain I'm hanging to try.

Below are some pics of the older of my Ace Malawi regular seed females. I have 2 younger females that are on day 35 or so from seed at 11:30 hrs on/12:30 hrs off.

The taller/branchier of the two is now on day 104 (from seed as above) and can be described as hideous - I haven't seen trichomes so densely packed on any bud in 25 years, on and off, of hobby growing. Most of the trichs have stacked on over the past week and each day at lights on is a real treat at the moment.

Malawi #2 is nothing special, maybe it will smoke better than #1, but I doubt it. Won't yield the same, that's for sure. It responded badly to every mistake I made, but #1 just sailed on through like I hadn't done it any harm at all.

I expect Malawi #1 might be the best and most potent plant I've ever grown. I'm struggling to get a clear shot of it at the moment, I'll definitely get something decent to post before I cut it down.

The 3rd shot is a cut from Malawi #1 at 12-13 inches. This cut is a living miracle, I'm sure to post the story on a forum someday. Please excuse its condition, I've been moving it in and out of stasis just to keep it ticking along and because I don't have a lot of space in which to let it fly during veg lighting.

I'm seriously considering moving it to the flower area under 11:30/12:30 hrs HPS lighting in the next couple of days. Just wondering if I will be able to control the stretch now that it is this big, might be better to tip and keep as a mother.

4th shot is a Malawi male at 27 inches that I'm going to cross with clones from my Peak Seeds C99 parent plants (I have three C99 female P1's (really, they are P7's) that are a month into flower - I haven't yet determined which is the best, I may keep all 3 going. I also planted 4 beans 5 weeks ago and all 4 showed as males just yesterday. And I'm very happy about that because I was looking for a male C99 to cross with Malawi #1, it was the purpose of that particular bean run, and now I have a wide selection to choose from).

My camera is very poor and I apologize for the shots. I'll post some more recent pictures in coming days/weeks.

Peace

Attachments

• Ace Malawi #1 Day 85 from regular seed.jpg
    Ace Malawi #1 Day 85 from regular seed.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Ace Malawi #2 Day 85 from regular seed 2.jpg
    Ace Malawi #2 Day 85 from regular seed 2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Miracle Cut at 12 inches - 4 branches.jpg
    Miracle Cut at 12 inches - 4 branches.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Malawi Male at 27 inches veg.jpg
    Malawi Male at 27 inches veg.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 13

Old Fogey

Can confirm that the plants have heavy budding but a bit spindly branches.

Smell-wise I was very disappointed by the 2 C99 phenos I had. They still give off no noticeable smell/aroma aside from hay/grass type. If I rub my fingers after touching some trichomes, I still do get the pronounced and loud weed smell but nothing extraordinary so far./QUOTE]

You have no idea how big a plus this is for me. Peak Seeds strains don't stink out my house like other strains can and I run my carbon scrubber a lot less as a result.

Peace

bigbadbiddy

So after a solid month cure I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the C99.

But it was just 2 plants flowered out and I will definitely give her another shot.

Through the cure certain cookie like aromas have developed along with some slight citrus, maybe grapefruit in the background. Overall "ok" but nothing to write home about.
The twofer pheno was quite similar sans the citrus aromas.

Both lack potency though. Even after a month cure, they just don't have the bang to them which was quite disappointing.
The Critical Mass jar is almost empty by now and the Master Kush is also more potent (both phenos), the NLxSkunk I can't say yet for sure as it was harvested last and didn't get a chance to cure enough yet.
The two C99 jars are almost full, still. Partially because I wanted to let them cure longer after innitial test was disappointing but also partially because the other strains just had better effects.

So overall they were a joy to grow, hearty, stable, fast, yielding etc. etc. but disappointing in the smell department (as Fogley said, that can be a plus for some) and also disappointing in the effect/potency department.

However, only 2 plants flowered so, like I said, will give it another go eventually.
But the two I grew were no keepers it seems which is a bummer considering how awesome the C99 E pheno looked and grew.

Could also be that I harvested them too early or something (although I seem to have been on point with the other 5 plants from that round). I did reveg the C99 E after flower and might just run a cut from her again since I already have her revegged ...

Old Fogey

Thanks for that.

My first grow of C99 was badly compromised, so I didn't judge the smoke I managed to chop from it too harshly when it didn't prove to be top shelf.

Those same plants have been reveged and are now just 14-17 days from being cut down. They had their last feed containing PK 13-14 just today. They've had a really good run since going into flower, no setbacks or nute issues at all and there will be no excuses this time.

If they don't smoke as well as they ought to according to reputation, my Peak Seeds C99 plants will be culled and won't be used in any f1 seed production with my Ace Malawi male.

But I have to say, I'm pretty optimistic - I was going to keep going with the PK 13-14 for another day but calyx are beginning to expand and are frosting up very nicely over the past 24 hours. I think the PK is no longer of benefit and I don't want to push my luck with these plants because, as I said, I'm positive about these plants based on the visual signs it is giving me at this point in its cycle.

Peace

bigbadbiddy

I think I just had a pheno with all the looks but not the potency one.
Visually, it was the most appealing plant in the garden. Gave it the center spot and everything, had very high hopes for it. Was really everything I wanted in a plant, safe for the most important thing: the effect.

Will look some more in the future.

What I forgot to mention in my post above:
The C99 E pheno was BY FAR the most resinous plant in that run. Really covered in the goo.
Might make a good hashplant, dunno.

Like I said, will rune it once more from clone and maybe experiment with earlier/later harvest (if I can provide space for 2+ clones to flower) and otherwise just pop some more seeds some time in the future.

nksv

Great, thanks so much for keeping us in the loop. I am still undecided as for my next order...STILL contemplating Peak but also Bodhi. Running some Bodhi for the first time and it's going really well...

newbert

^^ Yeah, the trippy thing is quite intriguing about SS. Maybe the blueberry has that too? I have his NL and BB x NL, but would throw down a few more bucks for trippy if I could get it.

From the NL I know this guy is a legit breeder so might branch out to his sativa stuff.

how is his bbxnl? blueberry is my favorite strain but im a newb grower so im looking for a cross that adds vigor without changing the high too much.

nksv

Hi newbert. I had to cull mine unfort due to the wife finding them! I have more seeds though...I have read good things. I hope to find out more though. Great germ rate and healthy plants from what I had.....bummed as I was closed to flipping!