What's new

Can't log onto seedbay from PC, works fine on laptop

Space Toker

Veteran
I have a PC, and usually have access to a Mac laptop occasionally I don't or need to use the PC, and these few days are one such occasion. I used to be able to log onto seedbay from the PC, but now it just endlessly says "validating credentials" and shows a spinning wheel and it perpetually stagnates there. Is it a proxy issue, a program/addon issue, or a website issue? thanks

Space Toker

Veteran
Some side notes to better understand the situation:

1). I have a few more add-ons and also Webroot SecureAnywhere on the PC desktop vs the Mac laptop. I have noscript on both, but also have NoScript Suite Lite on the PC. Only on the PC are something that says something about cookies self-destructing, uBlock Origin, Clean Links, Javascrript image object blocker, and I think that's it.

2) The webroot keeps telling me "suspicious activity-attack...get me out of here!" (attack imminent or suspected or something like that )
Also, when I try to update or download, it says "your security settings" Will not allow this or something to that effect.

Also, I often get a black pop-up box with "computerese gibberish" (don't know the proper name for this) in it that lasts for a second or two then vanishes then does this once or twice more, and only happens at certain times, have to notice better when this happens.

Additional issues that may effect my ability to log on to seedbay (prob not but never know):

1). my screensaver pic is normal size sometimes, and stretched out horizontally at times ("fat"). I don't know if this has anything to do with monkeying around with advanced settings on Infranview thumbnails or "arcsoft Showbiz", but I remember a 4:3 or 3:4 vs 16:9 (or vice versa) thing that I think was called "aspect ratio". If I uncheck "use advanced settings" on Infanview, my pics look normal, but if I don't they are blank, ie white space and nothing there. This may have had something to do with my attempt to make certain colors from photos look more true to life to what the eye sees, ie. having shiny blue clothing actually look shny and the right shade of blue (if anyone can help me with contrast and hue and all those kinds of settings, please do!)

2). My SpywareBlaster: whenever I load it, something asks me if I really want to allow this to make changes to my settings. When I say yes, there are always 234 items with protection disabled. I enable all protection, but it says the same thing when I re-open the program. I use C-cleaner, both during and after using Spywareblaster, and when I restart, there seems to always be 114 or 100-something files that were removed. This at least seems to correct the fat picture issue most of the time.

Space Toker

Veteran
ok although I touched on several things, I would think someone would have had an answer on something by now... you are great thanks anyway

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I do not know if you resolved issue. Many websites have dropped support for Windows XP, because Microsoft has.

I do not think users are dissing a senior member, but no one visits this forum.

Skip

Veteran
It's probably a browser issue. You should update your browser or try another.

Otherwise, sounds like your PC is infected.

If it's old, it's time to update.

Loc Dog

Veteran
There is a version of Linux which is best for older hardware called Lubuntu. Backup all data on PC before installing it, since it will wipe out everything on the disk drive. I have not used that particular version of Linux, but Linux is typically much less susceptible to viruses and hackers. There will be a bit of a learning curve, since it is not identical to windows, but if it is mostly for browsing, should not be too difficult.

http://lubuntu.net/

Skip

Veteran
There is a version of Linux which is best for older hardware called Lubuntu. Backup all data on PC before installing it, since it will wipe out everything on the disk drive. I have not used that particular version of Linux, but Linux is typically much less susceptible to viruses and hackers. There will be a bit of a learning curve, since it is not identical to windows, but if it is mostly for browsing, should not be too difficult.

http://lubuntu.net/
Ubuntu and Linux are very different and require quite a bit of patience to learn, esp. if you've only used one OS before.

Last time I tried Ubuntu it was still clunky and of limited use to me. For browsing, it's fine. But there's only so many programs that work with MS that also have linux/ubuntu versions, so if you're dependent upon certain software, you should check if there are versions for Ubuntu b4 installing.

Ubuntu or Linux can breathe new life into an old machine, esp. if you can no longer keep the original software updated (like MS abandoning support for older OS).

Space Toker

Veteran
thanks for some help guys!
Loc Dog:
The PC is not that old, 4 or 5 years maybe?
It is a Dell and seems new, as I hardly ever used it but have been moreso lately.
I think it is Windows 8, mb 7 but I think 8. I have never "re-done" it, which is what I call reinstalling the operating system. Used to do it every few months with the PC before that, there were all kinds of crap that happened to that one. I don't know if I have been plagued by a persistent decade maybe 2 decade hacker or more likely something else.

I tend to use the Mac for almost all online activity, and the PC just when I want to use Microsoft excel or other pc programs, and for tansfering info like from an order form to a spreadsheet by a text only copy and paste.

Skip, I think you are on to something, I have added more add-ons to mozilla than I did in the past, and one or more of those may be blocking something I need for things to operate properly. I am trying to reinstall mozilla, and would redo if I knew how without disks! thanks for the guidance, I will let you know.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Do a google search for - bootable rootkit virus removal. Also bootable virus remover. Rootkits are the worst thing you can have on a PC, and impossible to find if booted off hard drive. The rootkit hides itself from any virus removal. A bootable virus remover is also good to run.

Space Toker

Veteran
thanks Loc Dog. I still have PC issues to deal with, but did a couple things to my add on's and now I can log on to seedbay from my PC. thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Latest posts