What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can we discuss bubblegum?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have the bubblegum traits locked into a lemon Larry ogk x Indiana bubblegum hybrid. I received the original f1 and my selections led me to a high frequency of bubblegum traits. The flowers have the bubble gum structure, big ol hand grenade, frosty buds. Dead on bazooka Joe bubblegum smell and taste. I have a lot of bubblegum seeds, other hybrids and some of the originals they've been inbred from back in 97-98. The high is so powerful and complex.im not gna lie I slept on this variety for years, once I seen it's potential I started hoarding everything bg

ditto! Good luck on the hunt!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not to get off topic guys...

When you say open pollinate, do you mean running one elite male with a bunch of females?
NO... An open pollenation uses multiple males releasing pollen on multiple females of the same variety. What you describe is exactly how breeders/chuckers go about pollinating several females in order to create several varieties.

I had bubble gum seeds at one point. They were small and I accidentally squeezed them too hard and broke them. I thought that they needed to be hard.
They need to be hard but they're not "stone" fruits. Another indicator of maturity is the color of the seed. They range from tan to black but the color should be uniform w some motteling/striping on the seed coat.
I smoked bubble gum once but I don't recall the taste or high.

I'm still deciding what to run once I get my grow situated. Neither Serious Seeds or Northern Lights.

How did you fellas decide your first solo grow strain?

Thank!

What Serious seeds? Thats not a variety, that's a company.

Golden Tree

Ran most BGs...

many in larger numbers...same hunt as you...but a few years back....

Lester nailed it....

Serious Seeds....buy a few packs....she's in there....look for the smaller yielding....early trichome producing ladies....these true Pink Bubblegum phenos are slower vegging...(take more time to develope lateral branches...and stay shorter....

Great smoke....exactly like your early descriptions...

Good luck....

GT

Here is one of my Serious Seeds Bubblegum journals....

Still keep this "stinky Pink" Pheno today...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=312037

bigbadbiddy

Last time I checked into the topic people ended up recommending BOG over and over.
I was dissuaded from going with Serious Seeds because of the high price-tag, many reported herm tendencies and the general loss of reputation Serious suffered during the last years.

So I looked into BOG but found it impossible to get to Europe (for an acceptable price).
Then I researched further and found out that BOG just used cheap White Label DoubleGum which is apparently not a particularly good representative of BubbleGum genetics (if you read grow and smoke reports on WL DoubleGum you will usually find disappointed voices and very rarely someone saying "this is it"...

So BOG must have just put in the work and time to select and cross to come out with such a great reputation to be the authority in things Bubblegum. But since his strains are not available for an acceptable price to me, I decided to leave my dreams of Sour Bubble and Bog Bubble unfulfilled for now.

I then considered just buying 5 packs of WL DoubleGum myself, they are very cheap and available everywhere.

At the moment I let things be and just hope I get to the US some time soon or have a friend get the seeds from BOG and send them to me.

My other "plan B" is to get Nirvana's Bubblelicious.
While by no means seeming to be a good representative for the Bubblegum genetics, it is as cheap as the WL DoubleGum and comes with a way better reputation or way more satisfied customer reports and way more reports on finding "that actual bubblegum taste and smell".

So I figured if I get 5 packs of those, I should find what I am looking for.

Could be wrong though...
I also considered getting some purer Afghani type strains that are known to have all kinds of flavors, bubblegum types included.
Over at the MNS forum they quoted Nevil in saying that the original Bubblegum genetics are a cross and selection from BigBud and Nl5xSkunk.
I do remember reading decades ago that BigBud is part of Bubblegum genetics so that does make sense...

Not sure what to make of it.

But I decided against TH Seeds and Serious Seeds because of their reputation falling apart (and apparently rightfully so) and will either get BOG gear some way or most likely just go the Nirvana Bubblicious route.

Maybe we can compare our findings in a few years ;)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BOGs been around for quite a while & prices for his seed are more reasonable than either of those other two vendors you mentioned. Not to mention, his customer satisfaction policy is very difficult to beat.

Im not sure about those cheap seeds.
Are you aware that WL is a company started just for producing knock off varieties of lesser quality? I think they were started by Sensi or one of those other big brand companies.

bigbadbiddy

I didn't say that BOGs gear is not well priced.
It is, when you buy from him directly.

It is not when you buy from re-sellers and add their shipping fee to europe.
But that is just my opinion and I do feel I have a right to it and didn't mask it as anything but that.

Yes I am aware that White Label is the "el-cheapo" line from Sensi. I wouldn't call it knockoffs as Sensi is not likely to knock its own stuff off.
Now if Sensi sells knock-offs from others, be it as WL or as Sensi, is another question :D

Either way, that doesn't change the fact that all of BOG's famous Bubblegum-based strains come from what you call a cheap knockoff, White Label DoubleGum...
So I fail to see your logic?

I already said that he put in the work etc. etc. but that doesn't mean I couldn't find the same things he did or something close enough in the same strain. Why would that be impossible? Is he some sort of Gaia I am not aware of?

And while I do know that Nirvana is not really a "breeder" as they are based on making F2s of other people's strains...
By going from my research and the simple fact that I can buy 50+ Bubblicious seeds for the same price as 13 BOG Bubble here in Europe, the Bubblicious is indeed more attractive.

Because say what you will about BOG but I have read a LOT of info on him and his gear and also got my own short impression.
And I think I am not out of line when I say that it is known that you don't necessarily find a winner in every single pack of his.
There are many supporters and satisfied customers, but there are also very underwhelmed people.
And I would venture I have a higher chance of finding something special in 50 bubblicious seeds than in 13 BOG Bubble...

If I can find a way to get around the re-sellers and get the BOG gear to Europe for an acceptable price, I am all for it. I would be satisfied with 26 BOG beans for the same price as 50 Bubblics or even a bit more than that. But I ain't payin' double.

Until then, it is my believe that either White Label DoubleGum or Nirvana Bubblicious are the best options in Europe.
Would absolutely be willing to cough up the dough and buy 2 or 3 packs of Serious Seeds Bubblegum.

But not with their reputation. Simply doesn't fit the price tag.

Croissant

bigbadbiddy,

not sure if you read this thread. It has been claimed that if one goes phenol hunting through a few packs of serious seeds bubblegum one will find her and possibly him or do the work of open pollination f2s to dig through.

I have asked the same question about the Bogbubble and havn't got a firm answer like that from anyone.

I remember reading Bushy Old Growers posts on bubblegum back in the day on Overgrow. He put quite a bit of work into the line as I remember. Sure, you could probably put years of work or a huge phenol hunt to find something nice in white label BG and find something nice but in the end the time money space and effort might cost more than going with something where that work has been done for you. That is the extra you are paying for that amount of work that went into doing what you are considering doing.

Dr.King

Veteran
bigbadbiddy,

not sure if you read this thread. It has been claimed that if one goes phenol hunting through a few packs of serious seeds bubblegum one will find her and possibly him or do the work of open pollination f2s to dig through.

I have asked the same question about the Bogbubble and havn't got a firm answer like that from anyone.

I remember reading Bushy Old Growers posts on bubblegum back in the day on Overgrow. He put quite a bit of work into the line as I remember. Sure, you could probably put years of work or a huge phenol hunt to find something nice in white label BG and find something nice but in the end the time money space and effort might cost more than going with something where that work has been done for you. That is the extra you are paying for that amount of work that went into doing what you are considering doing.

Got a female BogBubble in veg atm. One of the best if not best looking cannabis plants I've seen in veg. Can't wait to flower her.

igrowone

Veteran
...And while I do know that Nirvana is not really a "breeder" as they are based on making F2s of other people's strains...

probably not a good characterization
bunch of breeders who likely have different strategies in making their genetics
using 'outside' genetics is what the industry does on the whole
though it likely does vary in extent

bigAl25

Veteran
I'd' say right now that I have been very happy with my Nirvana Bubblelicious seed grows. I've grown it out twice and have 2 going in veg at the moment. I have not found the true bubblegum smell, but the ganja it produced was always complimented by anyone who smoked it. I too would like some bog seeds but he does not do fem seeds. I assume you are looking at regular seeds for your grow.

Croissant

I have come across bubblegum nugs before... they smelled unmistakebly like straight big league chew bubblegum. The high was permagrin and very happy and positive.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't say that BOGs gear is not well priced.
It is, when you buy from him directly.

It is not when you buy from re-sellers and add their shipping fee to europe.
But that is just my opinion and I do feel I have a right to it and didn't mask it as anything but that.

Yes I am aware that White Label is the "el-cheapo" line from Sensi. I wouldn't call it knockoffs as Sensi is not likely to knock its own stuff off.
Now if Sensi sells knock-offs from others, be it as WL or as Sensi, is another question :D

Either way, that doesn't change the fact that all of BOG's famous Bubblegum-based strains come from what you call a cheap knockoff, White Label DoubleGum...
So I fail to see your logic?

I already said that he put in the work etc. etc. but that doesn't mean I couldn't find the same things he did or something close enough in the same strain. Why would that be impossible? Is he some sort of Gaia I am not aware of?

And while I do know that Nirvana is not really a "breeder" as they are based on making F2s of other people's strains...
By going from my research and the simple fact that I can buy 50+ Bubblicious seeds for the same price as 13 BOG Bubble here in Europe, the Bubblicious is indeed more attractive.

Because say what you will about BOG but I have read a LOT of info on him and his gear and also got my own short impression.
And I think I am not out of line when I say that it is known that you don't necessarily find a winner in every single pack of his.
There are many supporters and satisfied customers, but there are also very underwhelmed people.
And I would venture I have a higher chance of finding something special in 50 bubblicious seeds than in 13 BOG Bubble...

If I can find a way to get around the re-sellers and get the BOG gear to Europe for an acceptable price, I am all for it. I would be satisfied with 26 BOG beans for the same price as 50 Bubblics or even a bit more than that. But I ain't payin' double.

Until then, it is my believe that either White Label DoubleGum or Nirvana Bubblicious are the best options in Europe.
Would absolutely be willing to cough up the dough and buy 2 or 3 packs of Serious Seeds Bubblegum.

But not with their reputation. Simply doesn't fit the price tag.

Will Nirvana or WL replace your seeds once youve grown them out and you find you are not satisfied with the resulting flowers?
I've not read any indication that they would. BOG, however, stands by his products from the beginning to the end.
His seeds are already in europe if you look around.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Any bubblegum in the Bogbubble disappeared quick in my pack. All the BOG gear and crosses I tried was more or less just sour and that's why I stopped buying it. They were all really stout big leaf indicas and people post they like the sour, but it's not for me. A pack of Serious and 2 Nirvana freebies that came with it are on deck, high hopes for those.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
one of chimeras schnazzleberry3 phenos has the most yellow juicy fruit smell that i have come across,,,,
of the 20 i am running presently i have marked this one down for a re-veg and i had her last time when i ran 32 schnazz3 but lost her in the mix,,,,similiar to one of the super lemon haze phenos i had,,,,
the very best of luck in your search op,,,,s2:tiphat:

bigbadbiddy

His seeds are already in europe if you look around.

Could not find any, have actually spoken with a bunch of re-sellers if they would get them for me specifically.
Some of them appeared actually interested in doing so (I would have dropped a couple hundred in other seeds from their regular stock as well) but all of them came back to me saying that they can't get them.

Seedboutique is the only one that comes to mind.
But (and this comes from the horses mouth):
BOG has not received a re-order from the Boo or Bay in a very long time so no idea how old those seeds are. Besides they only have a few strains and none of the popular ones, nor the ones I am interested in.

Price on the Boo is ok imho (just slightly above BOG's) but then you look again and notice that the Boo sells them in packs of 10....
While everywhere else, including from BOG directly they are sold in packs of 13.....

Still waiting to hear an explanation from the Boo but they have been slower than anyone in the business in responding to mails by weeks, so I am just patiently waiting for their response. Think they also had some health issues with their staff, so might be that as well, not just the holiday season.

Either way, the Boo was the only one in Europe I could get BOG seeds from.
Aside from that there are only a hand full of Canadian/US resellers that ship to Europe but they all charge 85 for 13 seeds and usually want an outrageous shipping fee to top it off (stuff like 25 bucks).
Just... no

If you have any European re-seller that carries BOG gear or can get it and sells at the same price level or near that of BOG himself, then let me or us know!
But I would assume you were eluding to the Seedboutique. I have scoured the continent and went deep. I really wanted BOG seeds.

Can't get em over here unless you pay 85 bucks plus outrageous shipping and they are just not worth that price tag imho.

bigbadbiddy

Chimera gear is only available through the BOO/BAY though, isn't it?

I considered some of Chimera's strains, especially the grapefruit and blueberry stuff he worked on as well as the Schnazzleberry.

But his seeds, again, are priced in the premium range and I have not heard enough good stuff about him to warrant that ...

Just to be clear:
From my perspective, if anyone wants more than 5 bucks per seed for their gear, then they best have a reputation akin to what Serious Seeds had when they still had the original AK47 and won all those cups.
Then I would pay that much.
Or for some of ACE or Mr. Nice gear that might be ok.

But for seeds from someone who did some basic selection and crossing while putting in the time and effort (which shows in the final product that can not really compare to that of "actual" breeders), I won't pay 5 bucks per seed or even higher.

Sorry, just no...

And without meaning any disrespect to BOG or Chimera, without even having tried their gear. Like I said, I really tried to get BOG beans, he seems very sympathetic and I would definitely at least try them out as they seem to be the best alternative in all things "bubblegum" at the moment.

But I can't rightfully justify paying as much or even more for his or Chimera's gear than I am paying for gear of "actual" breeders like ACE, MNS and such...

I mean they did nothing more than what I am planning to do. Do you think I should charge more than 5 bucks/seed in 3-5 years after I did some selection and pollen chucking?
Didn't think so ...
In my world folks like that should charge about 3 bucks/seed and 4-5 bucks/seed should be reserved for none but the best, breeders with impeccable reputation, like ACE seems to have atm for example and Serious Seeds used to have way back when.
Anything above 5 bucks/seed is quickly becoming ridiculous and I doubt I will ever pay such a price tag.

But again, that is just my opinion and we all know opinions are like assholes.

Latest posts

Latest posts