What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planting Seeds in Promix... How Deep?

rrog

Veteran
Things are moving along well. Seeds have been in a glass of warm water (70F) for 14 hours now. 90% sank. I'll wait for a bit longer to actually see them crack, then plant in the prepared Promix seed trays.

Promix is moist, not wet. Not compressed. How much Promix should I cover them with? 1/8"? 1/4"? 1/2"?

1/2" seems too deep.

Thanks. All of your help has really made a big difference for me.

bt5

it doesn't really matter how deep u plant them but 1/2'' is allgood man theyll stilll come up just give them a few days

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Just make sure until they actually pop up out of the ground that it stays a little bit wet or you are gonna lose your seedlings. Ask me how I know :/

rrog

Veteran
Hmmm.. So 1/2" or 1/4" isn't a good idea. 1/2" or more is better. Man, glad I asked!

Thanks so much!!!

TACOE

this aspect you are not over thinking ;)
I will beg to differ once more (in fact i will argue that all of the above is incorrect)..
i do 1/8th to 1/4.. if that... infact I am essentially just pressing seeds into soil.
why do ppl argue about paper toil sprouting (that shit is less than a millimeter thick) and then say to bury them an inch!?!?

germination depends on: moisture, viability, air, and temp

why make that tiny little sprout work through all that soil?

There is a rule of thumb you read about in EVERY SINGLE gardening book when it comes to germing. You DO NOT plant deeper than one or two times their diameter (or width in MJ case) In fact, you should just sprinkle that amount of (moist) soil over the seed, and press VERY GENTLY

Where are we getting this information from guys!?! If experience.. then why not experience/experiment the RIGHT way.. and eliminate "user errors" This is not rocket science.

*a good part of this info came from M.G. Kains book, which just happened to be sitting in my lap.. but check out any legit botany/gardening book.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Half an inch isn't too far at all.

I like to plant my seeds point up about half an inch into the soil.

The taproot has enough space to curl back down before it exposes itself and the curve created by it helps push through the soil.

The seedling straightens up after breaking ground and I feel that same curve keeps the sprout sturdy.

rrog

Veteran
I went just under 1/2". Promix looks really good. Just moist. Not wet. Shaken, not stirred.

PhenotypeX

When soaking seeds, it does not matter if the seed sinks or floats. Ive had some crack that were floating and Ive had some crack that were sunk. 1 thing is for sure, If they crack while in the glass of water, get them out ASAP. Once theyve cracked in the water they are at risk for drowning/rotting.

When I plant a pre-germinated seed into soil, first I make sure the soil is dry and soft, then I gently stick the side with the tail pointing out straight down into the soft soil and I push it down so that I can visably see the other side of the seed at the top of the soil. Then I spray water on it slowly until its wet. This way the seed doesnt have to fight its way up through the soil.

rrog

Veteran
Since I started this thread, I have had great success at 1/2". I plant them on their side. Planting shallower at 1/8" or so totally makes sense, but I'm concerned about my ability to keep moist. The 1/2" seems to take care of that for me.

Easy7

Veteran
I like root riot style plugs. Seeds can float when in soil and watered. Also progress can be looked at if slow. Seeds and seedlings are fragile and need protection at $10 a seed. Just plant the plug level with the soil.

Muleskinner

Veteran
cool pictures on that thread! the standard rule-of-thumb for all seeds is to bury them at twice the depth of the seed's diameter. I aim for 1/4" to 1/2" deep with cannabis.

They usually break through the surface 4-5 days after sowing.

I have had success with seeds anywhere from laying on top of the soil to 1 and a half inches. 1/2 to 1 inch pretty much guarantees that the seed shell will have been shed by the time it hits the surface so photosynthesis can begin right away. otherwise you end up with a tall thin stalk before the first set of leaves, much like growing in a low light situation.

when I did outdoors I would just broadcast seed (had plenty) in the vegetable garden at the beginning of winter and dig up and transplant the seedlings in the spring burring them up to the first set of true leaves.

D

Dioni

I just broadcast seed (had plenty) in the vegetable garden at the beginning of winter and dig up and transplant the seedlings in the spring burring them up to the first set of true leaves.

This type of planting usually involves nature tilling the seeds into the soil by the weather, The movement occurs when the soil frosts and melts which usually brings the seed down into the soil naturally. :plant grow:

Latest posts

Latest posts