What's new

Aerated Compost Tea

jeeperscreepers

I am on my third batch of compost tea for flower. My teas are for root feeding only. I suspend the bag of nutrients half way deep in my water reservoir with a air stone inside. I put a few other stones inside to give the water a nice boiling effect and works just like its supposed to.
My questions are: Why are you supposed to even use the bag in the first place? Wouldn't just mixing your nutrients and dumping them in the water be more effective in leaching these nutrients into the water? It seems that the bag (i am using stockings) constricts the nutrients in the center of the bag making the water/air harder to reach. Wouldn't it be better just to mix the contents of the water and slurry on the bottom of the reservoir and feed the plants that way? That way the plant would receive some healthy top soil and get fed at the same time?
Why use a bag at all?

Z

Ziggaro

When I've made tea without straining it eventually made a crust that was difficult for water to penetrate. Keep dumping fine organics matter into pots and I'm fairly certain they will suffocate.

Aeration

Aeration

Air Stones are near impossible to clean, giving anaerobic bacteria (the bad guys) a place to live in a system that In Theory is supposed to eliminate their ecosystem and allow only the good bacteria ( Aerobic ) to prosper. I did not see you mention that you aerated the bag, another air tube into the middle of the ingredients is required for proper system operation, although you may have just left that part out.

Yes the ingredients used can be used for compost and next batches of super soil or amendments, but that crust and film are not beneficial in anyway to your plants. So you eliminate waste this way and keep your plants happy.

If I were you, I would get rid of the air stone and then do some digging on exact airflow and pumps needed for most beneficial compost tea brewing, not saying you are wrong, but simply that imo you could improve, and in the very least, who doesnt love learning more and new things.

Apologies if I come off as jag hole, Im just a dry humored person, sometimes it comes off as condescending but I assure you I only mean to help

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
microbeorganics.com details air pump sizing.

The bag keeps nutrient meals from settling, removing air stones gave me better result.

Latest posts

Latest posts