What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

thc oil extraction: LIQUID OXYGEN?!

D

dirtdog

while reading the bubble hash purity thread, i recalled some oil i had the pleasure of acquiring through a friend of a friend in the bay area. the oil was transparent, and the individual who gave it to me said that it had been extracted with liquid oxygen and was almost 100% pure thc. i wish i had some pics of this stuff but i have to say it was easily the most potent cannabis resin product i have ever had. it blew away any BHO or full melt bubble i have ever smoked in terms of potency.

i would imagine making this oil at home would be a super difficult task considering how combustible liquid oxygen is and how hard it is to get your hands on it if you don't have access to a lab.

has anyone else had experience with this liquid oxygen oil? please share your thoughts.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
not sure what substance you smoked, but sam skunkman has said more than once that pure thc is much less stoney than thc mixed with a healthy dose of terpenes, which is mainly what gives butane oil its color i think.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
For safety, liquid o2 is a bit beyond the avg home extractionist. Sure you could get an o2 tank and drop it to the temp needed to make it a liquid but think about the closed system you would have to build or buy to use it $$$$$$$$$. I find these days with oil it seems too many people try to reinvent the wheel.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
im sure he lied.

clear oil could be from very premature buds, the trichs are still clear...

amber buds = amber oil..

D

dirtdog

i'm not skilled in making oil, nor have i ever extracted it. that being said, i have smoked plenty of good BHO and I wouldn't say that this oil was completely see-thru, it just was a lot more clear than most BHO I have seen, and kicked my ass a lot harder. i personally was not there when it was being made, but the person (a friend of a friend) who gave it to us was not fucking around (phd, lab acces, etc.), and it was some of the best oil i have ever smoked.

the only reason i posted about it on here was to see if anyone of you experts had any insight on the matter. i have heard that liquid oxygen is used in the manufacturing of extracts (legal, over the counter herbal extracts) so it makes sense to a degree.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
"it just was a lot more clear than most BHO I have seen, and kicked my ass a lot harder"

i make oil like that all the time. :)

As you said above, the person who made it had access to a lab, and knew what they were doing.
I think that it'd be realistic to make it, but not for someone at home with an O2 tank and a freezer - you'd blow yourself up.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
dirtdog said:
i'm not skilled in making oil, nor have i ever extracted it. that being said, i have smoked plenty of good BHO and I wouldn't say that this oil was completely see-thru, it just was a lot more clear than most BHO I have seen, and kicked my ass a lot harder. i personally was not there when it was being made, but the person (a friend of a friend) who gave it to us was not fucking around (phd, lab acces, etc.), and it was some of the best oil i have ever smoked.

the only reason i posted about it on here was to see if anyone of you experts had any insight on the matter. i have heard that liquid oxygen is used in the manufacturing of extracts (legal, over the counter herbal extracts) so it makes sense to a degree.

with the right equipment and good herb you can make very clear oil.
did you mean it was amber in color but still see-thru?

thats TOTALY possible...

i think butaine makes a differance ive gotten better results with vector and also if you crush the buds you can get plant matter in the oil... makeing it not so clear...

Kosmo

IMG_1347.jpg

Capn

You know whats weird, I cleaned my down stem and bowl the other day with 91% iso. Out of boredom I let the iso evap and scraped up the left over resin.to say the least it was very dark but when you held the .2 chunk up to the light you could see through it.

Any ideas whats up with that?

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Capn said:
You know whats weird, I cleaned my down stem and bowl the other day with 91% iso. Out of boredom I let the iso evap and scraped up the left over resin.to say the least it was very dark but when you held the .2 chunk up to the light you could see through it.

Any ideas whats up with that?

no plant particles in the resin?
thats strange? frankly im not too suprised the resin melted and u were able to liquify it, but the clearness sounds disturbing.
my bowls always have burnt nug particles and misc chunky trash.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
theoretically oxygen shouldn't work, becasue it hasn't the CH- group able to extract the THC.

It sounds like labmade-thc. You can find some in netherlands, very rarely... it usually come from marinol (or something similar) pill, wich are opened for the content of the pill, pure thc.

gordonliu

marinol as a medication that you can buy does not contain a sample of THC isolated from other chemicals. Marinol is, however, prepared from synthetic (pure) THC, not that it matters.

oxygen is non-polar. it is also highly reactive. the biggest problem with using oxygen to extract THC is that it will oxidize the molecules while it extracts them. not only that but molecular oxygen at any given time, contains a population of highly reactive radicals (triplet oxygen) which can easily react with several parts of the THC molecule, chemically changing what you have extracted.

osoloco69

Liquid oxygen extraction is bs...it will not work unless you can use your mind as a solvent...basic chemistry kiddies. People use liquid oxygen to try and propel the last of the butane out of the extractor. If you ask me it is just retardedly dangerous, and not worth the tiny bit of yeild...use another smidgen of butane. Oxygen is extremely flammable and when mixed with butane you have the equivalent of a glass blowing torch's fuel mixture...dumbasses go boom!!!

Ioni Botani

I actually heard some shit about this. I heard about some "liquid oxygen" oil that cant be handled outside of a h20 solution, because it was so pure it was unstable at room temp.. Random as fuck I know...just what I heard...it was ALSO no amateur telling me about this..but hey...who knows. Google Liquid Oxygen extraction, there are a couple scholarly articles about how to do it etc...