What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Differences in "Amber" Between Indoor and Outdoor?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
For over 10 years, I've been harvesting indoor and determining 'ripeness' through the amber percentage of the trichomes. My experience with mostly sativa-dom hybrids has been 5%-15% amber as the peak of ripeness.

I was recently having a conversation with another member here, and they brought up how 'amber' is different with outdoor. Sometimes the plant is 'done' when there is significantly more 'amber' present.

Who has been growing indoor AND outdoor for years, has grown all types of strains, and has been checking trichomes for ripeness on the same strains grown indoor and out?

What have you found? Are the same strains more amber with outdoor, at the same level of ripeness? Where does "ripe" begin outside, at what percentage of amber?

Jammal

Outdoor doesn't really work like that, its almost a gut feeling and experience... But don't be afraid to just go as long as possible with outdoor...focus on type of high by the strains.and what works best for your local environment. Don't over think it, get great outdoor genetics.

Douglas.Curtis

Outdoor doesn't really work like that, its almost a gut feeling and experience... But don't be afraid to just go as long as possible with outdoor...focus on type of high by the strains.and what works best for your local environment. Don't over think it, get great outdoor genetics.
Very interesting, and appreciate the input. So I can put your reply in context, you've been growing indoor and out for how long?

In addition, what clones, from which strains have you flowered out inside and out before?

Jammal

About 10 years off and on, with a lot of experimentation, and talking to other experienced growers.

Its just apples and oranges...mostly have done seed outdoor, but white widdow clones would probably be my goto for outdoor just about anywhere. Next would be kush's, but ive lived in the cold North..

Going by tricomes outdoor isn't the same, you get so many other oils and terpenes because of environment conditions and the sun than you do from a controlled environment with artificial lights...so maybe a good amount of the THC has turned to CBN with dark red amber trichomes outdoor, but you've increased total active cannibinoids and oils,terpenes and total weight by 70%..as long as you pick it before die off or plague.

I've had og kush gone the full season in California from a friend that was let go until deep red trichomes...the effects were devastating and not like a typical milky indica...I mean devastating

Back before all this internet Mumbo-Jumbo , it was common knowledge growers for personal would let it go as long as possible to get the most potent effects...

But it comes down to preference, if I wanted a indica picked early to give me an up buzz like Sativa's,,, I'd rather just grow sativa,,,its just not the same.lots of Sativa's won't even go amber.

Douglas.Curtis

Define devastating? Are you talking about the narcotic, unable to stay awake effect from only a hit or two, or are you talking about something else?

Jammal

Its not couch lock, it's something else..but its definitely a narcotic effect..mildly hallucinogenic,, altered perception,, confusing...dream like, but not like thai...you get fuked up.

N

naturalbornkilr

This is something I always try and point out in the many conversations where people claim their outdoor is better than their indoor; The suns intense UV rays oxidizes the gland heads far before the flower has finished its growth process, resulting in amber glands that are visible with the naked eye covering the outside of the flower and leaves. Aside from being blatantly visible, the proof is even more evident when the flower is turned to concentrate and comes out much darker than anticipated when the flowers are harvested at a typical stage of maturity versus its indoor counterpart. This is why I believe indoor is superior, especially when growing for extracts. The same goes for terpenes, they are easily evaporated/degraded in a warm outdoor environment vs indoor with perfect temps and humidity throughout the plants life cycle. I have many years experience with indoor outdoor and greenhouse running side by side.

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting for sure.

naturalbornkilr, what you say is very intriguing and I greatly appreciate the detail of your contribution. I concur with your viewpoint on indoor and completely understand the terpene preservation aspect.

Thanks again for your input on this. :D