What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

good led for 4x4 tent

zico420

hey guys im about to start growing and i did alot of research and reading i got the gist of everything i need but im having trouble figuring out a good LED light for a 4x4 tent. i cant decide between OPTIC, KINDLED, adavnce platinum, VIVASPECTRA i even considered paying the 1200 for photo max Black dog led i just cant decide i see good reviews then bad reviews that discourage so now im here seeking help please.

How many would i need also?
i need details please if you use any of these brands let me know how the worked i planing on growing six plants in tent. if you need more info to help me ask away I appreciate this in advance thanks

Jwilly

I have a viparspectra and a blackdog they both use 420 watts each and the blackdog is a way better light . Yeilds growth and frostyness are all better on the blackdog. I thought about buying another blackdog and selling the cheap viparspectra.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're not up for building your own, I would look at Timber Grow lights.

I am thoroughly impressed with mine.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Continue looking and doing your "own" research but, you can scratch Vispectra off your list. Why? Please look it up!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
BTW! In a 4x4 you are looking at 600W plus, just saying.

^^ Yup.. Depending on what is in the LED light components wise.

Don't just buy any LED light to get in on the craze. The Blurples and chinese high wattage rigs using yesteryears technology all wants to go in the bin. I like somethings about cobs, like how useful single cobs are to supplement light in awkward places/spaces but they are just beaten by the spread of many individual leds imo. many more diffuse points of light spread more evenly over plants is more natural.

With the solstrips or Quantum Boards now using these latest gen samsung diodes it's 30-40watts per square foot so with a SOG you could get away with 500-600 but it all depends on the efficiency of the LEDs. Full spectrum's better overall.. DIY LED lights are the best and really it's very easy to do. With cobs I feel like you can get away with more uneven canopies and with the samsung strip/boards it pays to do a SOG and be actively maintaining a more even canopy. with sol strips you can also customise a spectrum which I like. But DIY isn't for everyone, then buy the QB 550 and you can dim it if it's slightly too much.

it's horses for courses, strokes for folks but by buying the inefficient tech you're wasting electricity and cooking your plants at the same time.. you want a full spectrum rig with lots or PAR/Watt. Lots of guys with enough money to are getting fluence lights and if I could I might but right now i'm enjoying making solstrip lights for everything.

Last edited:

BEEFQUAKE

Anyone have experience with the Bestva 2000w dual chip? I bought one because of the low price tag. The reviews seem positive but you can't always trust online reviews.

Anyone have experience with the Bestva 2000w dual chip? I bought one because of the low price tag. The reviews seem positive but you can't always trust online reviews.

Blurples suck. They’re not any more efficient than HID and cost a lot more. When it comes to LED, focus on good COBs or QBs. You can go complete DIY with light strips for a similar efficiency, but it’s significantly more complicated and the price may not be significantly cheaper.

BEEFQUAKE

Blurples suck. They’re not any more efficient than HID and cost a lot more. When it comes to LED, focus on good COBs or QBs. You can go complete DIY with light strips for a similar efficiency, but it’s significantly more complicated and the price may not be significantly cheaper.

Well that's bad news for me.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Blurples dont suck, but price does for sure. Then again you can build a setup with 14w LED screw in lightbulbs for $200 and have 600w in a 4'x4'... With a dozen spare bulbs incase any blow out....
SIL $200>Samsung F-series 4' 4 strip DIY $500>Quantum Board $1000>cob $1000

I think i'll go for the SIL, and get 4-5 4'x4's for the same price as 1 quantum board 4'x4' that only gets 300 umol at best in the corners of a 4'x4'.

Enter the holy land my friend
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=314806

I use 2 Viparspectra 450 in a 2' x 4' cabinet. They draw 200 watts each. They replaced 1 - 600 watt HPS with Hortilux. Yield and quality both improved. Power consumption is reduced by 1/3. I only need to run 1 exhaust fan.
I like 2 lights to tailor lighting needs from beginning to end. The Veg/Flower switches add more flexibility.

Koondense

Veteran
Did a run with 4x 95w vero cobs, winter grow with way too low temperatures and still achieved over 1g/W. I think 400w of good cobs is the minimum for a 4x4, 600-700w would be the high range and would maybe need some co2.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts