What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Guide To RDWC - Part 1 - Featuring Chemdog Double Diesel & 2,000 Watts!

JACKBAYBEH

Damn Snype, looks like you know what your doing there man. :tiphat:
Good show. Are these Chem DD from the original release back in 2008??

Snype

Veteran
Damn Snype, looks like you know what your doing there man. :tiphat:
Good show. Are these Chem DD from the original release back in 2008??

Thanks JACK. These were another release that Rez had in 2009 or 2010. It's actually ChemDD x ChemD. I remember very clearly. I had to sit on my computer for like 5 days and keep pressing the refresh button. I got no sleep at all for days as the auction kept getting delayed over and over and they kept saying things like, any minute now. LOL. I'm sure some of you remember. I didn't even want these seeds but the entire auction sold out within like 2 minutes and it was bid errors everywhere because so many people were trying to get packs of everything. I forget how many packs of things that I got. I think I got 4 or 5 packs of whatever I can get before it everything sold out. Those were the days. I'm so happy that whatever I really wanted at the time sold out in 3 seconds or I wouldn't have been able to get these. I've never got sick of this strain.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
:woohoo: never seen plants ripen so fast, LOL kidding, really nice thread, pleasure to see it all together like that. wish i could try that stuff, you should enter it next 420, lol.

Snype

Veteran
Ok, my bad guys. I said I would be done in 1 day but I will actually be done in 2 days.

:woohoo: never seen plants ripen so fast, LOL kidding, really nice thread, pleasure to see it all together like that. wish i could try that stuff, you should enter it next 420, lol.

LOL! I'd be surprised if me and snypette didn't come to the cup this year. If we do I will bring some of my work.

:lurk:

wow ,good idea with the pics,plus great looking plants ,well done
Thank you for your compliment.

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
Day 67. Harvest Day!
I normally don't like to show pictures after day 56. The reason why is because I flush the plants after that and all the plants will look like crap. In my opinion, your plants are supposed to look like crap when you harvest. Getting all the stored nutrients out of your hydro plants turns you leaves yellow because the plant uses up it's stored nutrients in the leaves. I try to find a happy medium when I harvest so you will still see some green. I do this because if I flush too much, I could get mold or bud rot.

Day 67 continued on the next post...

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
Harvesting and Drying
Harvesting and drying can be tricky when you are still learning this process. Some growers choose to hang the plants whole while keeping all the leaves on the plant until the plant is dry before they cut off the leaves and manicure the buds. Personally I never agreed with that approach. It is much more difficult to manicure your buds in this manner because of how close you have to get to the buds when the buds are dry and more brittle. When your leaves are dry, when you trim them, you will not get anymore shrinkage from the drying process which makes you have to get closer to the bud and risk more trichome damage and or loss. Manicuring the buds at the time of harvest can be faster and allows the wet pieces of leaves that you left after you made your cuts, to shrink into the bud and have a more naked look without damaging your precious trichomes.

Personally, I like to leave certain bud leaves on the buds to protect the valuable trichomes and it also adds a great look to the buds but people in my market want fully naked buds and I have to please my market. I harvest my plants in easy to manage branches. Harvesting goes a lot faster this way as it is easier to spin the bud with your left hand while you are cutting with your right (if left handed then it’s the opposite). When you have a big branch that contains multiple branches, it is a slower process because the branch is harder to hold and maintain a spin while you are trimming. As Im cutting branches off of my plants, I am putting them into mason jar cardboard boxes to collect them to the harvest room. I always trim all of the big fan leaves off of the branch first and then work my way from bottom to top of the branch. As I’m working, I’m spinning the branch with my left hand. When I’m trimming the special bud leaves, I’m not cutting one leaf at a time. Where ever I can, I cut sections of leaves with a precision pruner that has a spring in it so all you have to do is press it down and it springs back up for you. Certain 3 fingered leaves and greater, need to be cut at the base of the stem so you do not get that stem hanging out of your dry bud making it look like a low end product. You could come back when the bud is dry and look for them to cut off but this will take you more time and it is easy to miss some of them. Not all 3 fingered special bud leaves need to be cut at the base of the stem. You will have to make a judgment call on which leaves need to be cut at the base and which do not. As long as you cannot see the stem, then that will be a good judge of which ones to cut off at the base and which you don’t need to. As I am finishing manicuring branches, I am placing them into another cardboard box but not stacking them too high. I am always careful not to flatten them so they look like perfect buds. Once my stack of manicured branches is getting heavy, I hang them onto coat hangers to dry. I originally took into account when I cut the branches off of the plant, to leave a triangle section so that I can hang the branches to dry without the use of clothespins. On branches where this is not possible, I simply hang the branch by the most bottom bud on that branch. On very small buds, I don’t hang, I just place them into a cardboard box to dry. When I am hanging bigger top buds that contain a lot of water, I don’t allow those buds to touch each other. However, on most of the other branches, I hang them so they are right on top of each other in up to 2 rows on each hanger. Smaller buds dry faster than big tops and as these buds dry they shrink and don’t sit on the branch as much as when you first put them on. I do it this way so that I can try to dry out my buds slower and get a better tasting product. I harvest all the tops of the plants first and then I move on to mids and bottoms. I hang all of the tops together on each coat hanger. When I hang up the coat hangers containing the main tops, I don’t let those touch the other coat hangers but I keep them as close together as I can without them touching. On the coat hangers with the smaller buds, I let the buds touch the next coat hangers slightly so that they will dry slower.

I hang the buds until they are first dry to the touch. That means that when you touch the buds on the hangers, they are dry on the outside but still soak and wet on the inside. You don’t want your buds to take too long to dry and you also don’t want them to dry out in a short time either. The period that I use for how long I want the buds to dry to the point when it is first dry to the touch is 5 days at the earliest and 9 days at the latest. The more times that you harvest, you get a feel for when things well take longer or shorter so you either add a fan when you need to, to make them dry faster if it is taking too long or you stack them closer together and enclose them in a smaller space if they are drying out too fast. I never use dehumidifiers to dry out my buds and would suggest not doing this unless you are pulling over 10 pounds a crop. If you are using a dehumidifier only use it for short periods of time to get things along and then you can use fans. For all periods that you are using fans, only use them if the buds are soak and wet and only for up to 12 hour periods with a 12 hour break in between if you even need to use it again.

Harvesting continued in the next post...

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
Sweating
When my buds are dry to the touch, I place them into paper bags from the grocery store. First, I place the smaller bud branches into the paper bag. If the branches don't fit, I simply cut them in half. I fill the bag about 1/3 of the way, very gently and not packing down, and arrange the branches so that most of the buds are not on top of each other and the buds from the branches above don't squish the branches below them. After I fill 1/3 of the bag with mids and bottoms, I gently place the tops into the same bag until the bag is about 3/4's full. Then I close the bag by doing one fold at the top of the paper bag and placing a close pin on it. This is what I call sweating. You environment will be different than mine and you buds may contain more or less water than mine. You will want to keep a close eye on the bag and check it every 12 hours until you see the buds moisten back up so they are wet to the touch but not soaked. If the buds are too wet where they won't get dry to the touch within 6 hours from keeping the bag open, then you need to take them out of the bag until the are dry to the touch again. When they are dry to the touch put them back in the bag or if they are already in the bag, close the bag again. You will continue to do this until the buds don't wet up anymore. Once a most of your moisture is gone, you will notice that the buds on the bottom of the bag are more wet than the buds at the top of the bag. This is what you want to see. Not soaked though. You simply open the bag until the buds at the top of the bag are try to the touch but the bottom of the bag is a little wet but not soaked. Now you close the bag and the moisture from the bottom branches in the of the bag will redistribute to the branches at the top of the bag. You keep opening the bag and repeat this step until the buds don't wet up anymore. This doesn't mean that the stem will crack at this point. It's a lot of trial and error at first and you will understand after doing this a few times and get used to it.

Quality Control and Final Sweat
I will have to explain this further and edit that into this post.

Total Harvest Weights:
Dry Bud: 1,926 grams (0.963 gram/watt)
Dry Sugar Trim: 439 grams
Scissor Hash: 3.8 grams
Hash Oil From 439 Grams of Trim: 49 grams
Total top buds: 81
Number of trimmers: 1
Hours of trimming: 32 hours

More details coming later...

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
following chemDD links and ran across this thread..
great to see you posting again snype! :)

most excellent as usual, just beutiful :smoke:

man-o-man wish CDD was still available

Snype

Veteran
following chemDD links and ran across this thread..
great to see you posting again snype! :)

most excellent as usual, just beutiful :smoke:

man-o-man wish CDD was still available

Thanks for stopping by gnome. I have a lot of seed that I made. I don't believe in profiting on my seed ever. I have no problem sending seed to the bay and contributing to the server fund and freebies. My problem is that I won't send seed in the Summer because of the temperatures. I have a huge catalog of seed that I've collected over the years and my seed stash goes back as far as 1973. Some of my seed is older than me. I store all my seed in vacuum sealed jars and in a freezer.