What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rockwool Trees

Gsizzle

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very nice.... Good to see them old school methods rocking. I miss these setups for sure. Keep it rolling

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i will totally rock some of these, white poly up though for initial veg reflection, like med-man tables,

med-man

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
Some killer roots you have there. I've always covered ebb & flow tables, but never thought about soilless. Interesting idea.

Have you ever tried the flock in a bed versus pot? I thought about filling a 2'x2' tray with about 12-14" of flock and running a drip.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
would a 2"-3" layer of coco on top hurt? you could put the blumat in the top layer and the moisture should spread pretty even through the coco and then downward but this is just a theory lol. could turn into epic fail.

do you notice any inconsistencies in your watering since i know that if the tubing are not all at the same length they water at slightly different rates?

oh and i agree with the addition of drip clean. awesome in blumat grows, and should definitely be an asset in this as well.

stay tuned! im gonna pick up my wool in the next couple days and try this out. i will put up step by step of how i build my drippers as well as setup and whatnot. my chemmy jones are rooting as we speak and ready to kick some ass.

soopy

Veteran
Thank you for sharing such talent and knowledge! Mad respect...

I was shocked with the low ppm needs of a dialed coco grow and am wanting to try the flocked wool if its better than coco. Sure looks like it!

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your grow. Respect.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
ive never tried it but have friends that swear by it

yes i try to keep RH around that, sometimes up to 80% but never lower than 60

i dont use anything for humidity, i just dont run a dehuey and run a semi sealed room, which exhausts air just to keep humidity under 80%...lights are cooled with an active intake pulling in cold mountain air through a 8 inch fan

I'd like to know how your humidity stays up past 60% during lights on without a humidifier? I only have three 1000w lights. And with two small ultrasonic humidifiers the best I can keep my room at is 35-40% lights off is easy. I can maintain whatever I like.

medicalmj

Veteran
I'd like to know how your humidity stays up past 60% during lights on without a humidifier? I only have three 1000w lights. And with two small ultrasonic humidifiers the best I can keep my room at is 35-40% lights off is easy. I can maintain whatever I like.

That's interesting LED. I think it has to do with the size of your room in relation to the respiration rate of your biomass. Your room is very large and on your recent grow the plants didn't take up much of that volume and because of your pest issues, the respiration rate was low. Fill the space with fast growing plants and you'll see the dif.

I pull about 5 gallons of water per day OUT of my room via dehuey. It's sealed but I have an exhaust fan in far corner pulling about 50cfm (440 cfm turned all the way down) and CO2 at 1600-1800.

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey man, can you please tell me what your ppm conversion is to ec?

med-man

Desert Hydro

Veteran
so tomorrow i make the great commute to pick up my rockwool bales! it took 8 different phone calls and some didnt even know what it was or stock it lol. finally found a shop with 5 left so i have a 3 hour drive but i get to meet up with an old best friend in the area so it should be cool.

i will be running 5 gal buckets in vert donut rings around 600's 3-4 plants per donut with about 1.5 month veg i think. gonna have to diy the dripper system but that should be fun. also on the purchase list is a couple more vert bulb socket sets since i run all air cooled hoods at the moment.

im glad i found this thread. thanks! ive been ready to switch back to hydro from coco and i think this is similar enough style to transition smoothly. my ebb and grow and coco moms come down in a week or so and as soon as they do i can move over to my new place!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for all the good info DJM, great info to match ur killer pics.

forgive me if u have been over this already:
what size reservoir do u use? i see u drip one time per day for 6 mins.... im curious what size rez do u use, and at that feeding schedule how often u have to refill / topoff, and how do u go about that, do u add-back to the rez to top it off, or let it run down, dump and refill fresh,

awesome looking grow and a nice thread to w lots of info and Q&A, thanks DJM!

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
k cool, all i needed to know homie. thats actually like 1.2-1.3 ec. 500 would be 1.0 w new zealand standard measure.

med-man

ps. will you ever do a weekly tutorial. i am sure it would avoid any more superfluous questions :)

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
brother indjca - great minds think alike..yes i have thought about that, filling a 4x4 tray with 2 bales and doing the plant like that..i think beds are much better than pots but pots are easier for mobility and space

I definitely agree on the pots for mobility and space. Moving the trays isn't as bad if they were on rollers, but it's still a pain in the ass. I love the concept though. I imagine the increased surface area of the bed/tray would allow for increased daily watering. There is an application for it, but I don't know if growing trees is the best avenue. Bet it would be crazy for a SOG though.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i made it! i just got back from my 6 hour round trip to the grow store!! lol. how pathetic is that? haha. im eager as hell to get this up and running. i bought 25' of 3/4 tubing, drip barbs, 2 more vert bare bulb sockets with cords, 2 BIG ASS bales of rockwool weighing 45 lb each and some other random things. the people at the shop were cool and told me to let em know how i do with the bulk wool. they are gonna get some feedback for sure haha. tonight i am headed to lowes to get my 1/4 drip tubing and t's to make my rings.

i wanna be the first person on the band wagon! wooo :)

i was thinking about putting the bulk wool in my flood and drain buckets but it would cause a salt buildup up top that would have to be flushed out weekly i think. other than that i dont see any reason why it wouldnt kick some ass. drip clean is your friend

......back from lowes and now im DIY'ing the dripper rings as we speak. i'll have a thread up in no time

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice work dh

i already have the flockwool. just a matter of getting em going. i have grown trees in cubes. hand watered daily. killed the soil plants in the room,

med-maker

Desert Hydro

Veteran
my buddy had a 2+ lb plant out of 2 6x6x6 hugo blocks stacked on dripper :) they had the cubes sitting in a big saucer and they would time it to water the cube and fill the saucer and then when the saucer was out they would drip again