What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Northern Lights breeder?

Carraxe

Veteran
ive grown several strains from sensi and couldn't be happier with the results. like sensi skunk. its cheap and easy to grow what a great stone.:woohoo:
I don't know why they get so much stick. I am sorry if some people weren't happy with there seeds. have a look at my grows .

peace man

Yes, I've been finding some threads with both Sensi and Serious Seeds plants that don't look as the ones you buy to them. Some times people upload nice pictures and they say they are Sensi's, and probably some are.

Most of the ones you can buy nowadays (since some years ago) are crappy, and usually only please people that just started growing and lack experience. I have the experience of growing real dutch AK7, Northern Lights, Jack Herer, Bubblegum and many others back in the 90s. The real deal, quite a lot of years ago.

It is obvious to everybody that had this experience, that their genetics are not the ones that give them their name in the 90s, and it is necessary to look anywhere else.

I grew 10 different Sensi strains a couple of years ago. Not a single keeper. There are pictures in a Spanish forum, if you look for it.

But, as anything. The more experience, the better. I'm not going to give a cent to Sensi Shit, while I grow their 90s JH and run and cross genetics based in what they had back then.

Cheers and nice grows

I have some Bodhi NL#5 open pollination (maybe fake seeds - got them at the zon), Triad (Ortega x NL#5), and some bagseed from MI that is super piney. It reminded me a lot of old NL#5 I used to get in the mid 90s. Hopefully I can find something pretty decent in there

Robney

Sensi's feminized NL

picture.php

picture.php

Top one grew 70 days and smelled very piney, bottom one grew 50 days and had no smell (well not that I really noticed) but when dried smelled a mix of piney and fruity, cool mix of flavors. Only two females so not really a great sample size, but, to be honest I didn't find this bud to be amazing. Grows very easily, the 70 day pheno yields nicer than the 50 while all around being nicer (smell in jar, flavor in smoke, though they both have the same high). I can't really say I enjoyed the high, I'd get really zoned out, feel like this pic below represents me when I'd burn it

picture.php

While it smells really good, I didn't find that the smell translated to taste when smoking. Unless what I've described really appeals to you (easy to grow, smells good, looks good, doesn't have much taste, gets you super zoned out), I'd try northern lights from a breeder other than sensi.

PS. to all you old school smokers out there, what's so special about it? Was it just some of the first strong herb? Did it have an amazing taste? I've never had premium NL

Carraxe

Veteran
Sensi's feminized NL

View Image
View Image

Top one grew 70 days and smelled very piney, bottom one grew 50 days and had no smell (well not that I really noticed) but when dried smelled a mix of piney and fruity, cool mix of flavors. Only two females so not really a great sample size, but, to be honest I didn't find this bud to be amazing. Grows very easily, the 70 day pheno yields nicer than the 50 while all around being nicer (smell in jar, flavor in smoke, though they both have the same high). I can't really say I enjoyed the high, I'd get really zoned out, feel like this pic below represents me when I'd burn it

View Image

While it smells really good, I didn't find that the smell translated to taste when smoking. Unless what I've described really appeals to you (easy to grow, smells good, looks good, doesn't have much taste, gets you super zoned out), I'd try northern lights from a breeder other than sensi.

PS. to all you old school smokers out there, what's so special about it? Was it just some of the first strong herb? Did it have an amazing taste? I've never had premium NL

What you got looks very good. Are they female or regular? Recent batch?

I remember plants with no strong odor but nice taste of peach and spices, some were fruitier and sweeter, and very good productions. And done in 8/9 weeks. Not a destroyer stone, just a nice body happyness. I had really good plants, I miss them :smoke out:

Good luck, and let's hope someone can give us back some of this fantastic shit.

Cheers

Robney

They're feminized. I bought them in 2014 I think and ran them that year, so I'd say pretty recent. I have nothing negative to say about the looks and smells of the plant, as they have pleasant smells and plenty of trichome coverage, it's just the smoke is mediocre in my opinion: the taste is ok and the high is ok. It's nothing to write home about, so it doesn't stick around in my garden.

Carraxe, was the NL strong in flavor? I got hints of flavor, but nothing that coated my mouth in terms of lingering tastes

Carraxe

Veteran
They're feminized. I bought them in 2014 I think and ran them that year, so I'd say pretty recent. I have nothing negative to say about the looks and smells of the plant, as they have pleasant smells and plenty of trichome coverage, it's just the smoke is mediocre in my opinion: the taste is ok and the high is ok. It's nothing to write home about, so it doesn't stick around in my garden.

Carraxe, was the NL strong in flavor? I got hints of flavor, but nothing that coated my mouth in terms of lingering tastes

I mixed anything with tobacco back then, but I used soil and got tasty weed. I remember I had some earthy ones (NL#2 or #5, don't remember), they were tasty no doubt, maybe hashier than others. Others were fruitier or spicier, always pleasing and never overwhelming. Some of these plants had flowers growing in the very center of the leaves, that was insane.

Yes, different tastes and flavors, depending on the breeder's choice, but always a pleasure to grow. For me, the NLs were the paradigm of indoor growing. In fact I've been looking for something similar for years, that's why I decided to try Sensi's. What I got was far from done at 10 weeks, and aromas and bud formation wasn't what expected from my old experiences.

I'll keep searching.

Cheers and good luck

MickTheBrag

N L x 2

N L x 2

forgot to say I also grew dutch passions OASIS aka NLx2. it was also good. great up high. don't know if dutch passion still sell it. find a good mother with the great up high and your laughing.
NLx1 and NLx5 ive still to grow. if anyones got any info on those two
id be glad to hear it.

peace man

madalasatori

Veteran
Sensi's feminized NL

View Image
View Image

View Image

That pic sums up precisely my experience from smoking NL too. Mine was from nirvana about seven years ago

Cuzin_Dave

One has to consider that many of the most popular strains of today have Northern Lights in their genetic background. If you go through the seeds catalog Gypsy has or buy yourself some some inexpensive Northern Lights or Northern Lights crosses and breed your own dank. It takes some diligence and attention to detail. Give yourself a good sample size by purchasing inexpensive seeds from crosses or the original or close to original. Get a feel for the strain keep notes. Value your own work and your weed will be dank. The bigger your sample size the better your chances of finding something really special in Northern Lights. Take your time and your Northern Lights will be dank. I did the super expensive NL/5 Haze a number of years ago and it was not for me. Never again. Cant grow many plants and make selections when seeds are super expensive. I wound up with a bunch of unstable low yielding plants that took forever to mature nothing like the original Northern Lights which was such a lovable easy to work with plant.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
If Dr Atomic is around still these days I would definitely go with his NL. Was one of the very first packs I ever popped in my own grow with the help of mentor, who happens to be my father. He had the #5 clone and i vividly remember most phenos being pretty close to the #5 in structure and effect. Definitely one of the memorable packs I've popped.

HeriMarry

The only NL done by breeders IMO are Peakseeds an Maybe Dr atomic. But in todays age of breeders, most are pollen chuckers IMO.

Cuzin_Dave

Friend is growing some NL and the plants look pretty healthy. Seeds came from UK and Netherlands. Best to avoid any crap from Canada, seriously unless you want over priced hack jobs. Almost no one breeds out and maintains Northern Lights and Skunk seed lines these days which is such a shame.
The comments about hack breeding are really spot on in this thread. It is mathematically impossible to stabilise and improve a so called strain when the mum plant is an octahybrid elite clone and only one breeding male is the the selected pollen donor.

Carraxe

Veteran
forgot to say I also grew dutch passions OASIS aka NLx2. it was also good. great up high. don't know if dutch passion still sell it. find a good mother with the great up high and your laughing.
NLx1 and NLx5 ive still to grow. if anyones got any info on those two
id be glad to hear it.

peace man

I grew Oasis as well, back in last 90s. So it was NL#2? This was the most earthy-hashy one, which grew flowers in the center of the leaves.

It was very very nice. I wonder if Dutch Passion keeps selling it, but after so many years, I really doubt it. Dutch strains from the 90s disappeared.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts