What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Credit Cards Online to buy Legal Government Cannabis in Canada.

Buddha1

Veteran
Every province has set up an online store to handle the bulk of sales...making it the primary source of LGC(Legal Government Cannabis), within that province.
Brick and mortar store are available in most provinces but at best, in a limited capacity, only a few provinces have actually set up a large amount of store fronts for the public. So that leaves most Canadian citizens buying LGC online with credit cards until the store fronts are available at a much later date.

My concern/question is simple:

When crossing the border into the United States, are the US border guards allowed access to credit card purchase information? And if they are, won't everyone buying LGC in Canada be at risk of life time ban from the USA, either for using Cannabis or lying about using Cannabis.

I'm hoping someone here can answer this concern before too many Canadians are possibly screwed for doing a completely legal thing within there own country. I know warrants are needed in Canada and in the USA to gather personal information within that country...but the laws and rights are very different when it comes an international border...they can get access a lot with NO warrant needed.

Finger crossed...I'm just over thinking this.

Peace...B

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Every province has set up an online store to handle the bulk of sales...making it the primary source of LGC(Legal Government Cannabis), within that province.
Brick and mortar store are available in most provinces but at best, in a limited capacity, only a few provinces have actually set up a large amount of store fronts for the public. So that leaves most Canadian citizens buying LGC online with credit cards until the store fronts are available at a much later date.

When crossing the border into the United States, are the US border guards allowed access to credit card purchase information? And if they are, won't everyone buying LGC in Canada be at risk of life time ban from the USA, either for using Cannabis or lying about using Cannabis.

I'm hoping someone here can answer this concern before too many Canadians are possibly screwed for doing a completely legal thing within there own country. I know warrants are needed in Canada and in the USA to gather personal information within that country...but the laws and rights are very different when it comes an international border...they can get access a lot with NO warrant needed.

Peace...B
... and the probable cause is?

diffusing

Peace...B

allegedly yes, homeland security does have access to all your credit card info. i read an article on it the other day. so if you are buying from 'PROVINCIAL CANNABIS CORP' they can and may ask you about it. Seemed a little bit far fetched to me.. but DHS does have access to your credit card history apparently. i dont see them looking into that sort of stuff unless you are being an asshole, or they are trying to find a reason to make you inadmissible.

at the end of the day though, i think all the border paranoia shit is a bunch of crap, but i'm sure they will selectively use it to ban assholes.. and that's about it. just dont carry any across with you.

anyway heres a link https://globalnews.ca/news/4140898/legal-pot-data-banned-us-border/

peace

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
It will depend on how its listed in your credit card information.

Assuming what they will see is similar to your bank credit card statement history, it may or not be revealing depending on how its listed. I bought a dab press a few months ago, and checked it out, it just say amazon bill, no info on the purchase details.

vancityj

picture.php

picture.php

vancityj

Due to it being a somewhat historic occasion, I placed Order #10222X on BC Cannabis Stores online at about 2AM on Wednesday, October 17th, and received it on Friday, October 19th at 10AM. I purchased 7g of three different strains (21g total) and the total was $216.13, taxes and shipping included.

HiFiGanja

Order 101019 first and last gov purchase at $63 for 3.5 grams and then next day I bought 1 lb of death bubba for $1200 lol

JRace

You are crossing the boarder.
that is all the probable cause they need.

but it gets worse...
Canadian Cannabis Investors Could Be Banned From U.S. for Life, Immigration Experts Say

“Working or having involvement in the legal marijuana industry in U.S. states where it is deemed legal or Canada may affect an individual’s admissibility to the U.S.,” Mike Niezgoda, a spokesman at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office in Buffalo, said in an email.

Similar comments made by a border official to Politico sent U.S.-traded shares of Canadian marijuana companies tumbling Thursday. Cannabis stocks have been soaring since mid-August, when Canopy Growth Corp. announced a C$5 billion ($3.8 billion) investment from Constellation Brands Inc., the biggest deal in the sector to date.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You are crossing the boarder.
that is all the probable cause they need.

but it gets worse...
Canadian Cannabis Investors Could Be Banned From U.S. for Life, Immigration Experts Say
We were discussing CBA looking into your CC records. I was busted in '74, subsequently pardoned in '85. I have been to and from the US on so many occasions, I cant' count that high. To include but not limited to post 9/11.

Buddha1

Veteran
We were discussing CBA looking into your CC records. I was busted in '74, subsequently pardoned in '85. I have been to and from the US on so many occasions, I cant' count that high. To include but not limited to post 9/11.

The CBA(Canadian Border Agents) can't band any Canadian citizen from going to the USA...their job is to protect entrance into Canada, not things or people exiting Canada.

We are discussing the American Border Gaurds and their ability/authority to investigate a person entering the USA and if they can use present credit card info against them and possibly band them from entering the USA.

As far as being busted in the 70's(I think we all were busted back then... lol. ), that was before computers and everything was put on microfiche, if there was no reoffending...there would be no reason to go into archived files to add anything to the present data base.
So as long as you don't tell the USA border guard about your past and lie when/if they ask, then there's no way for them(USA) to be able to know or find it.

And as it was stated by another...their is no probable cause needed at either border(Canada or USA), a person entering must comply with all requests under penalty to be refused entry.
If they ask you to open a incripted phone, ipad, computer and you refuse it's a criminal offense...but they usually just turn you back to your country of origin.

Peace...B

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
As far as being busted in the 70's(I think we all were busted back then... lol. ), that was before computers and everything was put on microfiche, if there was no reoffending...there would be no reason to go into archived files to add anything to the present data base. [/QUOTE

Yeah, I was as well.

While I am not a lawyer, I believe that if you have been pardoned, you have no obligation to tell them. So technically, you are not lying. :biggrin:

tbd

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
As far as being busted in the 70's(I think we all were busted back then... lol. ), that was before computers and everything was put on microfiche, if there was no reoffending...there would be no reason to go into archived files to add anything to the present data base. [/QUOTE

Yeah, I was as well.

While I am not a lawyer, I believe that if you have been pardoned, you have no obligation to tell them. So technically, you are not lying. :biggrin:

tbd
That would be correct. The caveat is on security clearance forms... Have you ever been convicted of an offense? The answer needs to be yes; OTOH
  • Have you ever been convicted of an offense for which no pardon has been granted. The answer would be no. Right from the Canadian Dept of Justice.
That being said. I gather from what has been on the news that the only way to keep foreign authorities out of it, is not a pardon but full expungement.

Buddha1

Veteran
That being said. I gather from what has been on the news that the only way to keep foreign authorities out of it, is not a pardon but full expungement.

Absolutely Correct...The record needs to be expunged, that way its wiped clean...like it never happened.
Other nations don't have to respect and usually don't acknowledge a pardon from another country.

We don't from the States...why would they for us.

Makes no sense to offer only a pardon and not expungement. There is still a record of criminally to something that no longer exists in the criminal code of Canada.

All a pardon says is your a criminal...but your country forgives you... dosen't mean other countries will also for give you or your crime.

Peace...B