What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alaskan Thunder Fuck: Truth & Legend

garyw

Matanuska Thunder Fuck Myths:
To start, I have more than 20 years of experience with cannabis, beginning with guidance from my father. I feel sure that there are few people who know as much about MTF as I do. My family has lived in the Matanuska Valley/Palmer since 1940, well before Alaska was even a state.

If you research the history of Palmer, you will find that it was/is a government agriculture experimental station. The original families who moved here for this experiment had children in Palmer around the 40's & 50's that were influenced by the hippie movement and the influx of their kind to the Matanuska-Susitna Valley around the beginning of the 70's. With the knowledge those children gained, while working with their parents on their family farms growing up, and from the projects they were involved in at the experimental station as college students, and from a few new found hippy friends from the west coast of the US, they began flower-forcing by blacking out greenhouses during the summer. None made clones. They did remove males, and they knew how to prepare the cannabis for market. So with that, people in Alaska started to see some green bud as opposed to imported bud, and it was all coming out of the valley.

Addition (from a medical grower/researcher (Ph.D.)): A medical clone called "Matanuska Valley Thunder Fuck" (or MVTF) ended up in Oregon. It is said to be a cross between "golf bud" and the "original" Matanuska Thunderfuck, both created in Alaska.

garyw

This is supposedly thunderfuck I have grown from seed. It is non femanized so they all may be males but they are hearty and have done well here within site of the ocean on the southern Oregon Coast with fog mist and high winds. These plants were germinted on May 21st and planted outside June first and are just over 2' tall already. been thru 30 to 40 mph winds already.

xet

I had "Alaskan Thunderfuck" in the high mountains of the Colorado Rockies. Friend told me his Alaskan buddy gave him the seeds.

The strain is different than any strain I have ever tried.

If I had to guess it was manufactured out of something I would suggest there is certainly a haze component and blueberry, g13, northern lights, thai, type of leaning. Maybe oldschool ATF was thai stick climatized for Alaska

X

xavier7995

In the early to mid 90s a kid moved to my school from Anchorage. He brought some great weed with him and just said they call all the good weed thunderfuck. His greatful dead tshirt was way cooler than any of ours so we just took him at his word.

In 1989 I sat in a smoke filled room accompanied by some like minded heads. This was BC Canada and at the time there wasn't much good bud around and even the south American/Mexican supply had started to peter out. You could buy all the shrooms, lsd and 5 kinds of hash on multiple street corners and bus loops throughout the province but good weed by todays standards was only for the very connected. I remember that day because a commercial fisherman friend had just returned to port and had done an open seas trade with a fellow trawler form the states, hashish for weed. There two kinds , one a real bright lime green and it was just called green bud, never new it by any other name. The other was Alaska thunderfuck and we laughed at the name as we blew clouds into the mushroom chandelier over the smoking table.
I can't remember what it tasted like but I do remember it was such a refreshing break from the hashish and showed up in the hands of our buddy Alice that day in 89.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I’ve grown Poison Thunderfuck.

Holy fuck.

Big golf ball buds but kinda airy, not Afghan dense like RKS golf balls.

The hairs are fucking epic.
Matured to a striking red color and were super fucking long.

The high, I will never forget the feeling of feeling like a Klingon - a big ol divot out of your forhead. Weird feeling. Similar to the “band” from legit Headband.

I have a few seeds left, a couple sprouting, and seeds from a cross I made.

I notice something.
All the old timers who had it say its gone.
All these kids new to the genetics game say they and they alone have the pure line.

I believe the pure line of old is gone and the hybrids are making a resurgence.
The hybrids are still great.
But not the original.

Chem 91 Bx is awesome, but its not like the real cut of 91

Amynamous

I moved to Alaska in the mid 80’s and in the late 80’s i started growing. A friend of mine was a grower and was going to prison for a long stretch, and gifted me a few seeds. I had just ordered some seeds from the SEED BANK, SkunkNL#5 and Hash Plant, so i did some pollen chucking. I also got some Afghani seeds from someone who was advertising in High Times. I mixed all that shit together and had some amazing hybrids. The plants from my friend’s seeds had purple hairs. I grew them all in a phototron! haha. A few years later, i moved in with a buddy who was a pot dealer. We always had some great pot. Everything was coming out of the matsu valley. Law Enforcement could not contain it. I remember a “story” in the Anchorage Daily News that detailed the grow operations in the valley. The article was 6 or 7 full pages. If you read between the lines, it was really a “how to grow” manual without getting busted. Anyway, we always had great pot, it was always “MTF” and it was always different. I agree that MTF was just a name from anything grown in the MatSu valley. Around the same time, I was also gifted some seeds from a friend from Hawaii. 30 yearslater, I still have all of those seeds, but have not been able to get them to germ.

MCGold

scuff the seeds with a higher ended sandpaper 300+ grit. scuff lightly as you are only trying to remove protective oils from the seed.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Anybody saying all the pot in alaska was coming out of the Mat-su valley from the early 70s through the 80s must not have been here. I have actively been buying and selling the herb since 1973 here- anywhere I could find it. The Fairbanks area had some of the largest grows in the state (and largest busts) during the timeframe you first heard the term MTF. No doubt their was collaboration between Fairbanks and the Mat-su growers. Any and all of the so called MTF was weak by today's standards. I doubt any of it was even 15% THC. But it grows big and badass in peoples minds with so much time passing. It's your youth that was so good, not the weakass strains we smoked for the most part.

Latest posts

Latest posts