What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Folks like a name these days & hype, not a chemovar, they like looking through peoples throwaways :) having said that I've got some DP blueberry, 3 10 packs packs of it. Hope to find a good plant in all that lot..

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Folks like a name these days & hype, not a chemovar, they like looking through peoples throwaways :) having said that I've got some DP blueberry, 3 10 packs packs of it. Hope to find a good plant in all that lot..

I've grew a lot of DJ shorts and especially the Dutch Passion. Back in the late 99s/2004 or so I'd take what Dutch Passion over DJs every time. I really like the DP BB....there was 3 pheno the mutant twisted leaf garbage looking pheno that grew outta it and was decent , 2 the original indica stout typical, 3 the sativa branchy pheno and the best in my opinion. I just think DJs stuff was more for breeding purpose. I always got BB from DJ lacking the potency. I grew the True BB as soon as it come out and it was the most disappointed Ive ever been. There were some males I'd loved to have put into a breeding program. So of the best looking BB males I've ever seen.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dj was trying to breed stable seed lots wasn't he but he had crappy starting plants of good heritage but crap pedigree & thus couldn't rescue his mess..

F13 is one of my buddy's fave smokes, they're very pretty, he's had loads of packets of it & probably kept DJ in electricity & dirt for a few years.. Growing that you don't get much of a return, it's like having 1/3 of a grow that is mostly ornamental

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
90's & Early 2000's bud was all about bag appeal and memorable high. Nowadays hype strains are all about bag appeal & taste/aroma.

Hate to sound overly nostalgic, but IMO old school weed scene was way better. All the heavy hitters nowdays are too closely related, and the effects too similar. 90's/ Early 2K elites were more unique, and the effects more varied. There's no doubt that nowadays strains are bred more for flavor, and they taste good but I smoke for the effects, not the flavors.

Have to agree with the effect over flavor.

I have crosses with sensi star, nycd, thunk and vintage white rhino.

They make phenos that express black pepper, cherry, lime
and root beer, as well as church incense.

For me it's the nose that counts, and frankly taste is there,
mouth coating and acceptable, but the effect is the rub.

I have had recent examples of modern cuts, but when I
share some of the stock I flower, it overwhelms the effects
of the modern stock.

When a fellow toker asks to purchase pounds of the stock I grow,
I think of that as a reinforcement to continue flowering
the gear I have.

To each his own, I say.

highsteppa

Veteran
We have a 90’s blueberry that’s sold great for years while others come and go. Doing just fine next to grease monkey...I think some of the older genetics hold up really well. sensi silver haze is still great, always will be. Just like a good sour will always be kill or sfv as some have mentioned.

People want the trendy stuff and it sells so theres that. seemed like folks forgot a bout chem d till gmo, now they’re like I need that d. So what goes around comes around.

Imo, the prob with new vs old is the muddled, character-less smoke without that oftenly ( but not always) comes out of poly x poly mash up. Grow an affy or a Hawaiian from yesteryear, you’ll get a different experience, but no one will want to buy it unless it has the look.

Home-Grown

Have we considered the time a stone persists?
Long lasting, creeper or strong one-shot, these attributes are not easily quantifiably with peoples tolerance or the manic type smoker who just want strength. Way to subjective for a clear answer?

green404

A couple of big factors.

In the 90s a bag of Skunk would awe people, "sticks to the wall" "one hit", whooo look at those crystals" now days it is on the middle shelf surrounded by 30 other strains.

Many of us in the 90s were doing 2ft bong rips and smoking fat ones with parties. Now many of us are pulling out a pipe in our living rooms and smoke a fraction of the amount we did in the 90s.

Different environment, different settings, different amounts, different tolerances and rosy memories.

A couple of big factors.

In the 90s a bag of Skunk would awe people, "sticks to the wall" "one hit", whooo look at those crystals" now days it is on the middle shelf surrounded by 30 other strains.

Many of us in the 90s were doing 2ft bong rips and smoking fat ones with parties. Now many of us are pulling out a pipe in our living rooms and smoke a fraction of the amount we did in the 90s.

Different environment, different settings, different amounts, different tolerances and rosy memories.

Different methods and new products (wax, rosin) have changed the scene for sure.

I don't find any problem with the potency of modern strains. The problem for me is that it's getting pretty hard to find pure sativas and pure indicas. I still haven't found a commercially available sativa as good as Jack Herer, or Silver Haze. Pure Indicas can be hard to find too, as most of the new hype stuff is hybrid.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Different methods and new products (wax, rosin) have changed the scene for sure.

I don't find any problem with the potency of modern strains. The problem for me is that it's getting pretty hard to find pure sativas and pure indicas. I still haven't found a commercially available sativa as good as Jack Herer, or Silver Haze. Pure Indicas can be hard to find too, as most of the new hype stuff is hybrid.

G `day SH

SSH and Jack are NL / Haze / Skunk .
Only a % of Sativa . And have a head and body hybrid effect .

Zamal , Laos , Oaxacan are true sativas . High nearly all in the head .

Talkin polys if you add The White to the mix it can have the strong , but dull boring high . Encountered it a few times with different crosses containing The White .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

sdd420

Veteran
Old school sativas were strong and long lasting. One hit and you wouldn’t be sober for a couple hours even with coffee or shower you were gone. Both Thai and haze and also good Mexican was like that. I’m sure those were pure sats though and hard to find now.

Som 2

Old school sativas were strong and long lasting. One hit and you wouldn’t be sober for a couple hours even with coffee or shower you were gone. Both Thai and haze and also good Mexican was like that. I’m sure those were pure sats though and hard to find now.
The Mexican I have from the old days is like that. Three or four hits and you are high for four hours before the come down starts.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Was talking about this earlier with someone. If you cross a couple purebred dogs, you may end up with something good. The poodle lends its hypo-allergenic genes to other dogs. Some of those tiny dogs, make miniature sized breeds... also cool.

If you keep crossing, and crossing, you end up with a mutt. You may be able to tell, "hey that mutt is part pit bull, or that mutt has some german shephard in it.

That is how the newest canna genetics seem to me. Oh, that mutt has some durban in it... otherwise it would suck. That mutt has some OG in it. Wow, that mutt has everything in it (AOTA).

Better more diverse lines from the 90's and before. Lime green skunk, purple kush, durban poison, bubblegum, blueberry, OG, Bubba, train wreck, church, etc...

The old Durban was so strong, no ceiling what so ever. Everyone had a limit, cross that limit you may find religion.

Those lines have changed over time, they may still have some of the genes that made them great, but they have lost many along the ride. Thanks, prohibition, and LEO who still continue to cut down plants today.

Also sort of funny, sort of sad. Sometime, long ago.. maybe the 40's, 50's, 60s, travelers collected land race genetics, and brought them to California. For decades the lines were worked, removing intersex traits, and stabilizing specific breeding traits, and attempting to preserve genetics. Now the majority of breeders are doing the opposite. They are as quick as possible, mixing everything together, in tiny populations with no care for intersex traits or stabilization. Just the newest clone only with one freaky trait that nobody has seen.

Luckily, I think we also have some real breeders that are doing good work as well. They just aren't hyped up as much.

Funny to see people refer to old genetics as being new, gives you a sense of how long people have actually been around the industry. Durban Poison was being stabilized in the 70s, but I would assume it was grown in Africa for a very very long time before that. To call it new in 2018 is a bit out of touch.

Mr^^

G `day SH

SSH and Jack are NL / Haze / Skunk .
Only a % of Sativa . And have a head and body hybrid effect .

Zamal , Laos , Oaxacan are true sativas . High nearly all in the head .

Talkin polys if you add The White to the mix it can have the strong , but dull boring high . Encountered it a few times with different crosses containing The White .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I realize Jack and SSH aren't pure sativas, but they are the closest thing to a pure sativa that most people will be able to find at a dispensary or most dealers. My point was that the current trend is for strains with even less sativa % than Jack and SSH to be sold as sativa. Blue dream, Diesel, Cherry pie crosses, tangie, even OG Kush are sold as "sativa," when in my opinion they are closer to being hybrid strains.

I would much prefer the old school elite Chocolope, Casey Jones, SSH, Jack, Amnesia than I would any of these new school sativas. Heck I'd prefer a good white widow to most of the strains passed off as "sativas," these days.

Same with Indicas, I'd prefer NL, White Rhino, Sensi Star, GDP, over all these hybrid Cookies crosses. Glue is okay though, and Bubba is good but harder to find now.

This thread is making me crave shatter, live resin sauce, and rosin from all those old school 90's strains haha.

N

naturalbornkilr

Was having this conversation with a close friend and wanted some more opinions.

Is there anything out there that surpasses the Chems, OGs, Sours and other highly regarded cuttings of the 90s and early 2000s out these days? I’m quite aware most of the popular varieties are descendants of previously mentioned cuttings but have they really been improved upon? The only 3 significant game changing strains I can think of since that era is Cookies, StarDawg, and Glue. Maybe throw in Alien Tech as well. Any others? What’s your opinion?

All three of the new strains you mentioned are hybrids of the old strains you mentioned. Stardawg doesn't even make the list of anything imo, glue only does because of the colorado rec scene and cookies is basically a watered down purple version of OG that is only popular because of a major marketing scheme. Alien is straight up mid grade. So the answer to your question is no, nothing has been improved upon.

Scrappy-doo

I got a major pot snob buddy who will pass up any glue, sour, chem, or og all day long for some of my dosidos. As far as flavor is concerned I prefer it myself as well.

MedResearcher

Veteran

Should be a good pack!

I came off a little anti-mutt. I think when proper selection, or sometimes just straight up luck a mutt strain can be really good. Just important to try to preserve the originals as well.

Another dog analogy! Anatolian Shepherds, have a very interesting breeding history. From what I read, they basically would breed any dog into the line, and select the best for what they wanted over many generations. Working the dogs and selecting which offspring actually worked better. Couple hundred years of this, and they created the Anatolian's, which are a force to be reckoned with, and breed very stable traits.

The Dosido's, is pretty damn good. We made some crosses with it, everything it touched got that Dosi funk/smell in it within a decent % of the new populations. The smell/funk comes through in the smoke as well as the flower. Was interesting because I was looking at pictures on Archives IG. The Face Off OG, looks very very similar to the pure Dosi cut, just less runty. Would be nice to run that Face Off clone, for comparison. Have a feeling the real clone is tightly grasped by Archive.

Zkittles has a really unique flavor and smell, but it is finicky inbred plant. Dosi is a stunted inbred plant as well, slow growing, tiny little half round rock buds. Both have great unique flavor. Painful to crop, but both very unique.

Personally I always thought Blue Dream was great. Cropped well, smelled good, bag appeal, smoked great. I also always said.. the Blue Dream is so good because it has the SSH in it. The SSH was so good because it had the real Haze in it! Originally the haze was most likely to narrow leafed to crop well. The SSH balanced it out, although watered it down a bit. The Blue Dream, added fruit, and made it crop better, the Haze still shined through. Blue Dream crosses, the haze is in there but it is getting fainter and less common. As well, not sure how you can really improve upon it. It cropped great, and its special flavor was from the Haze, the narrow leaf high was already getting couch locked. Ramble, ramble.

98 Bubba... drool. Have never seen a newer Bubba as good. All of the newer ones are just watered down 98's.

A lot of sought after clones have dates attached to them. 98 Bubba, 91 Chem. Cant imagine how valuable a clone of the real RKS skunk from 80-90s would be. Probably be able to sell for 6.. 7.. figures to a new start up corporation.

Clones fizzle, or lines shift genetically over generations. People hoard, and loose. Breed and change lines. The modern world has been cruel to the cannabis genetics.

With GMO on the horizon, and MAS currently being used, we will see some unique new stuff, although I am not sure it will be "better" than the heirlooms of yesteryear.

Mr^^

Last edited:

insomniac_AU

Should be a good pack!

I came off a little anti-mutt. I think when proper selection, or sometimes just straight up luck a mutt strain can be really good. Just important to try to preserve the originals as well.

Yeah I hope so mate sounds interesting. I agree about preserving the originals.

The Dosido's, is pretty damn good.
I'm trying to track down some Thug Pug strains at the moment. PBB in particular (Dosidos x Mendobreath F2).

gladysvjubb

Veteran
In 2006 I grew Top 44. I made seeds. I gifted a lot of my TOP 44 to my friend Wally. He gave me a bunch of seeded Top 44 back. It is good smoke. I have a male right now that I am going to breed with more Top 44 and Tommy Chongs LA Amnesia. I am hoping that the LA Amnesia is as powerful as the hype. I have not smoked LA Amnesia yet. Still got around 4-6 weeks to go before I harvest. I need to get high but the Doctor told me not to smoke for a while as I am having my prostate removed on the 24th. It is very difficult for me to do as I am a chronic smoker and stay high all the time.