What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Papua New Guinea Gold/Niuguini Gold original strain

lordlarvae

Hey guys,

I came across the following description of this strain:

"...cannabis known as ‘Niugini Gold’ is cultivated in Papua New Guinea (10). This strain of cannabis can be identified by its red stem, compact golden-yellow inflorescences (‘buds’) up to 15 cm long and a characteristic pungent smell (18). The term ‘Niugini Gold’ refers exclusively to the inflorescences of female cannabis plants that are harvested before they are fertilized and produce seeds. ‘Niugini Gold’ is without seeds and is similar to cannabis preparations known as ‘sinsemilla’ (19).
The species of cannabis in Papua New Guinea was identified by botanist E. E. Henty (20) as Cannabis sativa L. [Cannabaceæ]
(Anyone has link to his book?)

This cannabis species has recently been described in the journal Science in New Guinea (21). It is an erect annual herb that
grows from one to four metres high. The leaves are palmately compound with 5 to 9 narrow-lanceolate serrate leaflets, 5 to 15 cm long. The flowers are small and greenishyellow and the male and female flowers appear on separate plants. The male flowers
are loose cymose panicles, somewhat glandular and hairy. The female flower panicles are more compact, covered densely
with resinous glandular hairs. The fruit and achene is three to four mm long and is ellipsoid and slightly flattened with two convex faces meeting in an angular rim.

Based on the taxonomic revision of the genus Cannabis Linnæus by Small and Cronquist (22), the correct nomenclature for this
species of Cannabis is Cannabis sativa L. subsp. sativa (L.) Sm. et Cron. var. novoguineensis nov. var. (18). A voucher specimen of this new Cannabis variety was not collected from Papua New Guinea because the possession of cannabis is illegal there..."

There are claims that they were used in the creation of 303 from Spice Brothers, Voyager from The Flying Dutchmen seeds and Mullum Madness...Has anyone got the pure genetics or came across this breed?

Thanks in advance!

C

CLOWD11

Hello Lord of the baby flys, sounds like an interesting strain. If they had PCs in PNG we could ask a local to mail off some seeds.
Maybe worth a field trip(road party) for those with time on their hands and a entrepreneurial streak. hehe

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hey guys,

I came across the following description of this strain:

"...cannabis known as ‘Niugini Gold’ is cultivated in Papua New Guinea (10). This strain of cannabis can be identified by its red stem, compact golden-yellow inflorescences (‘buds’) up to 15 cm long and a characteristic pungent smell (18). The term ‘Niugini Gold’ refers exclusively to the inflorescences of female cannabis plants that are harvested before they are fertilized and produce seeds. ‘Niugini Gold’ is without seeds and is similar to cannabis preparations known as ‘sinsemilla’ (19).
The species of cannabis in Papua New Guinea was identified by botanist E. E. Henty (20) as Cannabis sativa L. [Cannabaceæ]
(Anyone has link to his book?)

This cannabis species has recently been described in the journal Science in New Guinea (21). It is an erect annual herb that
grows from one to four metres high. The leaves are palmately compound with 5 to 9 narrow-lanceolate serrate leaflets, 5 to 15 cm long. The flowers are small and greenishyellow and the male and female flowers appear on separate plants. The male flowers
are loose cymose panicles, somewhat glandular and hairy. The female flower panicles are more compact, covered densely
with resinous glandular hairs. The fruit and achene is three to four mm long and is ellipsoid and slightly flattened with two convex faces meeting in an angular rim.

Based on the taxonomic revision of the genus Cannabis Linnæus by Small and Cronquist (22), the correct nomenclature for this
species of Cannabis is Cannabis sativa L. subsp. sativa (L.) Sm. et Cron. var. novoguineensis nov. var. (18). A voucher specimen of this new Cannabis variety was not collected from Papua New Guinea because the possession of cannabis is illegal there..."

There are claims that they were used in the creation of 303 from Spice Brothers, Voyager from The Flying Dutchmen seeds and Mullum Madness...Has anyone got the pure genetics or came across this breed?

Thanks in advance!
hi ,
that extract is from a paper written by ben thomas of australia ,
he told me he has tested the thc content of png gold at 13% ,
astoundingly high ... super sativa ,, lol ..
ive grown png gold more than once ,
a very special , resiny and fruity variety ...

ive been collecting seed from there ,
iam particularly interested in the highland png gold ,
and have access to genetics from the western province ..

cannabis grows wild all over the place , escapees from previously cultivated crops i imagine ...

ahortator

Veteran
Hello

It is a very interesting strain from an even more interesting country.

I asked to Shanti if I could get some seeds from him, but I think that he got a bit angry with me.

A scientific research there found many new unknown animal species. Even in New Guinea live poisonous birds, LoL.

Here are a few pics of buds from Papua.

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/show...itle/papua-new-guinea-highland-finest/cat/503

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/57476/title/papua-new-guinea/cat/503

http://forum.sensiseeds.com/images/users/a_20thai/a_png_gold_highlands_i8429.html

And this I think that is a thai but was mistakenly confused as a PNG. But I'm not sure.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/s...ly-ducks-magical-sativa-papua-new-guinea.html

http://www.entheo.net/lecture/benjamin_thomas_esq

Donald you are very lucky to have occasion to travel to that wonderful country. Is the Western Province in the Indonesian zone or in the Western of the Eastern half of the island?

I think that you said that the purple plans was mistakenly taken as PNG but actually they were thai.

Best regards.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Indeed, interesting info here...

It's been six months I have been thinking of my next weed trip there... It's one of the wildest place on earth, and I feel like spending some months there digging for seeds, and live in a total different way I have been told to. It is not gonna be easy, nor safe, I know, but this would be another trip of my life, and I am a careful person :)

I will soon start to plan better the trip by learning as much as I can on Papua; I guess anyway my trip will not be until 2013, till I pay for my student loan, get some experience at work, that I need to understand why things are so fucked up; and save a little money for this trip. Definitely I will stop by Australia to visit my good friends, and probably some time in Nepal on my way back....

So all info on PNG herb is pretty much Gold for me ! Props for sharing ! I cannot find anything cannabis related to Benjamin Thomas website, more likely on psilocybes, which is actually pretty cool as well !

++

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hello

It is a very interesting strain from an even more interesting country.

I asked to Shanti if I could get some seeds from him, but I think that he got a bit angry with me.

A scientific research there found many new unknown animal species. Even in New Guinea live poisonous birds, LoL.

Here are a few pics of buds from Papua.

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/show...itle/papua-new-guinea-highland-finest/cat/503

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/57476/title/papua-new-guinea/cat/503

http://forum.sensiseeds.com/images/users/a_20thai/a_png_gold_highlands_i8429.html

And this I think that is a thai but was mistakenly confused as a PNG. But I'm not sure.

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/s...ly-ducks-magical-sativa-papua-new-guinea.html

http://www.entheo.net/lecture/benjamin_thomas_esq

Donald you are very lucky to have occasion to travel to that wonderful country. Is the Western Province in the Indonesian zone or in the Western of the Eastern half of the island?

I think that you said that the purple plans was mistakenly taken as PNG but actually they were thai.

Best regards.
hay ahortator , nice to see u man ..
on the purple pic , yes it was thai mistaken as png , heres a pic of some png sativa ..
picture.php

and the western province is on the Daru side , toward Iranian Jaya ..

Indeed, interesting info here...

It's been six months I have been thinking of my next weed trip there... It's one of the wildest place on earth, and I feel like spending some months there digging for seeds, and live in a total different way I have been told to. It is not gonna be easy, nor safe, I know, but this would be another trip of my life, and I am a careful person :)

I will soon start to plan better the trip by learning as much as I can on Papua; I guess anyway my trip will not be until 2013, till I pay for my student loan, get some experience at work, that I need to understand why things are so fucked up; and save a little money for this trip. Definitely I will stop by Australia to visit my good friends, and probably some time in Nepal on my way back....

So all info on PNG herb is pretty much Gold for me ! Props for sharing ! I cannot find anything cannabis related to Benjamin Thomas website, more likely on psilocybes, which is actually pretty cool as well !

++
Pretty easy to email him titoon ,, ill send u the contact ,
and we look foward to seeing you again ...

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

Nice to see you too, Donald, greetings.

That is a really amazing covered with resin bud!

Titoon if you travel to Papua be sure to look for cannabis not for cannibals, LoL...

I don't know if some tribes still eat human flesh.

http://www.papuatrekking.com/cannibals_papua.html

I think that people there are very heavy weed smokers.

I remember that I have lots of old VHS videos about Papuans and the wood carvers from the Sepik river. I think that it is the zone with more artist per square mile in the world.

I remember a tribe called Telefolip from tv programs.

I have many VHS of the series Peoples from the Pacific with Alan Thorne about there and how they make sagu flour.

The last that I have seen about Papuans is that many tribes are loosing their old traditions and knowledge because they are forced to become Christians.

Its very sad that I live so far and I am a poor man, actually I would like to travel there before all will be lost.

Best Regards.

coca

Don that bud looks very nice, had a friend go over there for work i begged her bring some seeds back but she seemed to forget. would love to get a hold of some of those seeds

Terroir

Havnt been to PNG but my folks and a few friends have. Weed grows everywhere. Lowlands, highlands outer islands. Getting the good stuff though might not be so easy, saying that they were out in the islands and no where near western highlands.

I have visited the Solomon Islands though which are right next door. Weed was easy to get in honiara (very safe place compared to Port Moresby). Cheap as chips. Ask the taxi drivers, there is no shortage. In the sols PNG weed has a bad reputation. Not regarded as being very strong. Weed from Bouganville is held in high regard though. Guadacanal is where the good stuff comes from. Ganja is sold at every market place. Sometimes in the open laid out infront, sometimes just a lady sitting there with a small carboard sign with a leaf drawn on it. Its strong stuff.

If looking for PNG weed in oz i would be getting a job on a prawn trawler that works in the gulf / torres strait.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Havnt been to PNG but my folks and a few friends have. Weed grows everywhere. Lowlands, highlands outer islands. Getting the good stuff though might not be so easy, saying that they were out in the islands and no where near western highlands.

I have visited the Solomon Islands though which are right next door. Weed was easy to get in honiara (very safe place compared to Port Moresby). Cheap as chips. Ask the taxi drivers, there is no shortage. In the sols PNG weed has a bad reputation. Not regarded as being very strong. Weed from Bouganville is held in high regard though. Guadacanal is where the good stuff comes from. Ganja is sold at every market place. Sometimes in the open laid out infront, sometimes just a lady sitting there with a small carboard sign with a leaf drawn on it. Its strong stuff.

If looking for PNG weed in oz i would be getting a job on a prawn trawler that works in the gulf / torres strait.
hey terrior ,
thanks for sharing man ,
good knowledge,
the friend i have living there said much the same,
the locals often rush and pick too soon
handling methods , drying etc are poor ,
and product suffers.
that smokey smell from hanging in a hut just isnt nice , hehhe ..

its readily available from what i hear , quite cheap ,
its probably the type id even scratch my head on its worth as bubble hash ..

on a good note ,
i finally did get some highland png gold seed ,
just been wintering them before trial ,
first planting in horrid conditions produced nothing ,
ill be patient and plant to the moon on the next run after a stint in the fridge for the seeds ..

JOJO420

Veteran
I hold the PNG. Its here in Hawaii.. The one I have smells like tropical carrots.Funny, I know.. People don't associate the smell with cannabis, it smells like i just shaved a bunch of carrots. The best part is the high, wow, its majical. Like colorful psychedelic strings in your head that swirl and play. The high soars also, just keeps rising..Good Pot :)
I will say thay it needs work, like any landrace, its raw. Im gonna do a preservation project with my last remaining seeds, and if it works out, I will put them on the server fund :)

TonyGreenHand

JOJO I hope you keep us all updated on your PNG project I'll be first in line. Have you finished it out before? How long do you take her?

ahortator

Veteran
Hi to all

It is very nice to find you here Donald.

It's very sad bad news to read that about Ben Thomas and High Country's relative. I´m sorry.

JOJO420 keep them alive, and at least a big handful of seeds unhybridized.

Greetings.