What's new

when is it ready to cut without a loupe

grayeyes

OP, don't worry about it. If you are too lazy to look then you are probably too lazy to dry or cure. Just toss 'em in the trash. That way you can go back to relaxing.

P

pongster

too much hate for a forum made by "hippies" and "stoners"

- lazy is no good, but still:
harvesting by looking at the pistils is very much like looking on the outisde of a steak to see if it is well done on the inside.
sure, you can pick up some guidelines that way, but surely is not the best way. you can end up harvesting a very nice outside looking steak, but still with a pulse on the inside.
yucks!

SuperMac

Its easy to go by the trichomes with/out magnification. You're looking for encapsulated trichomes that are the shape of mushrooms. They should all be milky not clear with a small percentage, like 5-10% , starting to turn amber. Very small percentages - around 1% - of CBN occur naturally and CBN a necessary part of a fully developed chemovar. That's why some of the trichs should be amber which indicates the THC is beginning to degrade.

Last edited:

SuperMac

Yea, Headband two weeks can make a big difference.

Outdoor can be more of a challenge because plants are cold blooded. With the cooler temp plant metabolism really drops. My outdoor plants have really slowed down especially on cooler days.

St. Phatty

it's a "feel"

learn to feel, not look

Sounds like Luke's Lightsaber training ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NCLxwLEY

Seems like most good strains have something in common with White Widow.

They pack on the trich's at the end.

I would say, let it go as long as possible -

as long as it's putting on weight (white pistils).

If you're watching it every day, at some point it will get to a point where "it looks/ feels done."

I cut 5 main buds this morning because a few of them had a tiny bit of mold.

Also because I'm concerned about grow rips.

pinkus

Veteran
Super old thread, but still a valid question.

I am going to add that many Sativas and sativa dominant plants will continue to throw new white pistils when fully ripe. Satori I ran was always done before the pistils turned.

Some others have all whithered pistils before they are finished. It's all about the resin glands.