What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

uses for beauty berries or pokeweed?

P-NUT

Veteran
Ive got a never ending supply of beauty berry plants and pokeweed and Ive noticed nothing seems to eat them or infest them. Has anyone here tried making a botanical tea of the leaves to see if it has any effect?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Uses

https://www.drugs.com/npp/pokeweed.html

Young pokeweed leaves and berries may be eaten as food, but only after being cooked properly by boiling in several changes of water.

Dosing

At doses of 1 g, dried pokeweed root is emetic and purgative. At lower doses of 60 to 100 mg/day, the root and berries have been used to treat rheumatism and for immune stimulation; however, there are no clinical trials that support these uses or doses.

http://www.naturalremedies.org/pokeweed/

Pokeweed shoots need to be collected in the Spring in order to harvest the edible, non-toxic portions.

Similarly, the roots have to be picked during the fall. Once you have thoroughly dried them, they can be stored and used at a later stage. The berries too can be eaten only when they have just turned ripe. As for the berries, it is only the juice, which can be consumed, the seeds of the Pokeweed berry remain poisonous.

Betterhaff

Veteran
No knowledge about making teas, I assume you mean for plant supplementation. Most of the plant is poisonous although I guess some people eat certain parts after cooking, no thanks.

The birds love the berries though and that's mainly how the plant spreads. Once I cleaned out a large garden bed of my dad's and they were all over the place and the berries put on a mean stain. Actually they were all over his property.

P-NUT

Veteran
Ive composted pokeweed and fed the compost to worms no prob but i just wondered if it repelled or killed bugs if you made a botanical tea out of it. Im really curious about the beauty berries as well. The leaves have a sweetish stink to them and I never see any bug damage whatsoever. They seem like theyd work to at least repel bad bugs without harming the plant but wanted to know if anyones tried this or am I gonna be a guinea pig.

P-NUT

Veteran
And what im asking specifically is has anyone made a botanical tea of the beauty berry leaves like people do with lavender and rosemary and such?

Latest posts

Latest posts