What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

zxbud's first time

Zxbud

This is my first ever grow, I am going for a pretty micro grow, but wasn't expecting it to be as small as it is so far!

I have not been very scientific about my grow, I've just been winging it a bit but it seems to be growing ok, if a little slowly.

Here is my girl, an OG kush grown from seed.

I started growing maybe 90 days ago just by sticking the seed in some soil (BioTerra Plus Soil Mix). It took about 2 weeks for the seed to poke through the soil. Once it had grown a set of leaves (probably another week or two) I put it under a cool white 100W LED. Light schedule is 18/6.
Since then it has been slowly growing nicely with me watering every 2 -3 days. So far I have given her no nutes at all, but when flowering I have Bio Flores to feed her.

You can see from this view the plant is about 3 inches tall with 6 nodes so far.
Originally I was intending to do ScrOG but she is taking so long to grow that I am thinking of giving up on that idea.

Any one got any advice or ideas on how to get a decent yield from this little plant without waiting the rest of the year for it to get big?

Thanks for looking!

littlegrow

any pics ? :D also if using LED your plant will grow better with

Red, 660 nm and Blue 460nm are the only wavelengths you need for optimal growing

also what watt is your led ? if you get yourself some blue and red, more blue as it will keep the internodes short then the plant will perk up a lot faster :D

Zxbud

Ah I did put pics but had the album set to private. fixed now :)

The LED is supposed to be 100W, I couldn't say what wattage it's actually outputting though.

grouchy

I'm guessing your led is a "100w equivalent" so it's probably only 13w of real power. You need more light to speed up the growth rate. The good news is you haven't lost anything but time so far. Toss in as many lights as you can and try to get them in the 2700-3000k spectrum (warm white) for flower.

How are you taking care of ventilation and smell?

I would be glad to help you get this plant growing.

Zxbud

I thought the LED was actually 100W, it's a COB one i got off ebay, so really it could be anything.

I have a fan in the back with a carbon filter on. The plant doesn't smell much yet at all.

I have a warm white LED for flowering from the same ebay guy so I expect if to be just as powerful as the cool white one.

I can't get any more light at the moment but will have to get more for a future grow.

Should I try just flowering it now without any LST or is it worth LST and veg for longer?

Thanks for the advice.

littlegrow

na its to small to flower, actually for 90 days its tiny, i have to be truthful with you i have just saw a grow with 2 50 watt cobs and he grow about 6 plants. can you take a picture for us of the cob when its off also whats the driver you have ?. what price did you pay. im gonna inbox you

littlegrow

Hey Zxbud i just had a check though the listing and it looks like the driver is made for "Room:Living Room, Bedroom, Bathroom"

so its not made for growing plants also on a second note.

the driver is 10*1 wattX10

which means the driver and led is more suited to be fitted in your house

now the kinda LEDs you want if you don't wanna spend a fortune are these, cannabis grows pretty good on just 2 colours which are blue and red

Red, 660 nm and Blue 460nm are the only wavelengths you need for optimal growing

heres what to type into your ebay

1. 50W High Power LED Blue 460nm-465nm 50 Watt LED Lamp Bulb Chip Super Bright

2. 5-Pieces-3W-High-Power-LED-Star-Emitter-DEEP-RED-660-670nm

you will also need a driver so here are what you should type into ebay to find a nice driver :).

findind a right off 50 watt driver may be expesnive. so if you buy 3 watt led stars in eaither of those waveleanths then you will find drivers cheaper, easier :).

if you have a look on google at building your own LED DIY grow light it will tell you :). i know it may seem complicated at first but it does get easier when i first looked at all this i was like wtf is all this lol.

normally people wire those blue 3 watt leds in a line of 10 with a correct driver
type this into ebay
Hot New 20W~150W Waterproof IP67 Led Driver Constant Current Led Power Supply

so you see its pretty simple and easy to find :) but its cheaper building an led light than buying one at $200 or something :)

Zxbud

Thank you for the info :) I will have to read much more into it.

Can you just explain what is wrong with the LED driver? if 10*1 x10 is 100W what is the difference between that and one which makes 100W some other way? Thanks!

littlegrow

your welcome :), the reason being its $7 for the driver and the LED means the LED is probs putting out 10 watts of light in total.

but for most grow leds it will tell you what NM it is meaning waveleanth :).
also if you buy warm white led it will normally say its 27000k

where as the one you bought is just for house use and does not tell you the spectrum, its kinda like fitting an old house bulb 100watt. it will work but very poorly and will eat more electric than do any good

also if you buy a 100 led cob you would be looking at about $40 just for 1 cob there are proper sites for buying cobs aka leds attached to boards but im still trying to understand them :)

Zxbud

Cool :) I will have to invest more in my next grow. I think for this one I will just switch to my dodgy warm white 100W COB and see if she will flower.

Zxbud, it looks like you are doing ok. Follow your Nutes program and once it starts really growing, go for scrog for max yield.

Zxbud

Just a couple of more pictures. The scrog seems to have worked.

I think they are nearly ready to harvest. Some of the pistils are turning brown.

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Zxbud - Plants will flower in a few cycles. You should see 3-5 waves of pistils. Wait and get more weed.

It's best to invest in one of those small eye scopes with 100x zoom, that way you can check when to harvest at just the right time.

Zxbud

This is the plant today. Not looking so hot. The leaves have yellowed hopefully because they are flowering so are getting deficient in nitrogen?

I have also noticed it is using MUCH less water the last week or so, the soil is still damp even when I haven't watered it for 3-4 days.

Is it ready to harvest yet? My first grow and I don't want to miss the best harvest time :peacock: