What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So I haven't amended my holes yet since last season.....

NickMode

so o have a little problem on my hands.... I have not amended my holes yet since last season, and my plants have to go out today. I have been busy with my summer course and I have the final this upcoming week, and I'm going to mexico once my final is over. How horrible will it be to plant them in the non amended holes? The holes are full of rich nice looking dirt. And also in my defense, my plants didn't get too big last season. Would they grow at all if there isn't enough nutrients in the soil? Or could I top dress with some organic fertilizers?

hamstring

Veteran
Not an expert by any means just going off of my experience. I have used holes 2 years in a row so many times but i am not an organic grower and I add my nutes either by water-soluble or this year by slow release.
If you can’t visit the plants during the season I would bring slow release ferts with and add a 1/2 - 1 cup per hole and water them. Just my 2 cents.

Better late than never!

Better late than never!

If u cut corners u will lose out! It sounds like your soil NEEDS some help.. I would reccomend holding off and spending the time to turn in some blood/bone/kelp/compost etc b4 u plant...

what i do to old holes is take 5 gallon buckets or a piece of tarp out to the hole.

then remove all old dirt u can and put it in the buckets or on the tarp so u dont lose any of it... then make the hole as BIG as possible removing rocks roots and bad soils etc.. then i put in my fire smoked chicken wire and posts

then add like 3/4 of the removed soil....

then mix in 3/4 of your amendments plus water crystals and extra perlite, then mix as well as u can b4 filling the hole with any remaining soil and amendments, then plant!

for the mean time i would baby/shade your starts and feed them liquid veg nutes...

do u want monsters or not?

hope this helps :tiphat:

.clunk

Definitely spend the time to turn over the old holes, break up and pull as much of last years roots as possible and add some perlite if you can, I think that as the old roots decompose they create a dense soil that doesn't breath very well, so adding some perlite helps out.
After that add whatever nutrients you want or need throughout the season. Maybe a good slow release base nutrient in pellet form then add liquid or top dressed feedings later on as the plant needs it.

Agree with both white and clunk..I also use same holes yr after yr.. never doing anything to hole till fem plant is planted so nothing in off season..

Then maybe dig hole out some more,remove all dirt, add in more Fafard 3b(if needed), blood meal, slow time released organic fert, and water in with root stimulator and EJ grow at times..work very well

AK's have grown 3-4 ft in last month since done this way...Give the plant everything it needs and you will get all its got!

Ulysses

Get a bag of Rainbow Mix or Fox Farms Fruit and Flower -- has everything in there already all good stuff and chop it into the hole fluffing up the soil, breaking up the old roots... Maybe get some EWC in there as well?

Some strains, like Flo, can grow 6' in a small hole with sparse nutes but others like Double Strawberry Diesel will need quite a bit more nutrients for a worthwhile yield...

Do bring us back some interesting seeds from Mex- Speedy Gonzolas, Zacatecas Purple, Jungle Bud, etc ...

Best of Luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts